Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TV Better Now
Yes 21 20.19%
No 83 79.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times

Advertisements

So now many TV shows today are over the top trite, corny and un-family friendly. It's like they are not even trying for quality shows anymore...they've given up. Of course, there's exceptions...and yes, The Big Bang Theory is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 PM

15 posts, read 26,562 times
I miss a lot of the 90's TV shows like... Step by step, Boy meets world, family matters, Hangin with mr cooper, Seinfeld..perfect strangers...the wonder years...King of queens, Silk Stalkings

Last edited by wheels1200; 07-22-2012 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: forgot some shows

Old 07-23-2012, 04:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
People always get nostalgic of the "good ole days" of TV, but was it really that better than it is now? We have more channels and more choices than anytime before. Sitcoms are making a come back. Reality TV shows are garnering audiences from across the board.

These are the "good ole days" of TV.
I guess if you like Reality shows and as many commercials as there is show and endless news shows obsessing about politics then i guess you are living in TV's golden age, an age i thought occurred from the late 50's to the late 70's.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
When I was growing up FOX was the channel to watch. Now its all American Idol and similar shows.
Not that I hate reality shows; I loved Star Search...I just feel like there's too many of them.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:13 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
I think it depends on the genre. Sitcoms and family-oriented shows were better 20+ years ago. Epic drama and serialized story-telling has gotten a LOT better.

Now would you rather be transported back to the past where you can only watch your old favorites on a tiny non-HD tv with a dozen channels? Or watch TV today with awesome high-def and instant access to thousands of shows, including all of your old favorites, and all of the great newer shows on HBO and AMC?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
TNT and USA networks are leading the pack in my opinion for watchable shows that adults with any intelligence would care to watch....i.e. The Closer, Covert Affairs, Falling Skies, Rizzoli and Isles, Necessary Roughness and Political Animals to name a few. ABC to me is the biggest embarrassment with The Bachelorette and The Bachelor as their "marquee" shows.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
I think the last 10 years have been amazing - Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Brotherhood and Breaking Bad lead the pack, Dexter, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, SOA, Damages, etc, not far behind. There was just nothing like these shows in the 80's and 90's (NYPD Blue, maybe?).

Now, if you are not into these kind of gritty antihero type dramas then I can see why you might think TV sucks today. If sitcoms and variety shows are more your flavor then you probably have a point.

But with Breaking Bad winding down, I do wonder where the next great show is coming from?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
The sitcom is indeed dead. I can only think of one that is truly good (Big Bang Theory). Some are okay. Most are just unwatchable.

With Breaking Bad being such a big hit, I'm sure Vince Gilligan will have no trouble getting his next project greenlit. I can't wait to see what he does next.

I must be the one guy in the room who just doesn't see the appeal of Mad Men. It's a pretty average soap opera. The only thing outstanding about it is the look of the show. They nailed the '60s. Other than that, it isn't all that different from Falcon Crest or Dallas.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
today's tv is great, much better now then the 70's, 80's or 90's IMO.

never in my 40 years of watching TV has there been so many good shows available in any given week, throw in the DVR and the abiility to watch shows on line and todays tv wins in a runaway

my only real complaint with it is the unwillingness to let a new shows that are slow out of the gate find an audience.

in the last few years I've watched men of a certain age, Chicago code, the Unusuals and dark blue all get cancelled.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
The 2000's has produced both the absolute best and worst TV ever. That's what you get with 500 channels to fill. But don't try to compare your favorite, nostalgia-laced show from 30-years ago to the worst produced reality shows out there today and think that's a fair comparison.

Unfortunately, you have to pay to watch the best TV. It's on HBO, AMC, FX, Showtime, etc. These are the channels responsible for the true golden age of television. It's happening right now. There is so much good TV that I find myself having to actually turn down watching shows that look really good just so I don't find myself sitting in front of the TV all day every day. There's too much good stuff. On the flip side, there's too much crap, too.

Even though their hit rate is poor and I never find myself watching more thana couple of shows a season, even the networks have had some gems on them in the 2000's. Community, The Office (during its prime), Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother, and more that I can't think of off the top of my head are every bit as funny as the laugh track infested sitcoms of yesteryear. You can say that maybe my generation just doesn't get your generation's humor from ___ years ago. Well, likewise. Doesn't mean the quality of the shows today are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV