Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TV Better Now
Yes 21 20.19%
No 83 79.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 AM

404 posts, read 904,563 times

Advertisements

I think TV is in it's prime. Dexter, weeds, game of thrones, breaking bad, so many others

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
I wish there was another option besides yes or no because there are a lot of variables at play.

I think when it comes to network television alone, TV is horrible. The main networks aren't doing that well, especially NBC. Cable television, both basic and premium, are topping networks left and right when it comes to quality television. rather unfortunate since you do have to pay for cable, but it's also a blessing in disguise because paying for that programing means the networks rely less on ratings.

When it comes to dramas, TV is at an all time high. the quality of dramatic programming is better than I can ever remember it. Serialized shows are becoming more and more popular and topping procedurals in quality (though quite a few of the procedurals aren't that bad themselves). Some of my top favorite shows are dramas.

When it comes to sitcoms, I think TV is struggling. It's long been obvious that the "Must See TV" comedy block of yore is gone. A large chunk of sitcoms are becoming/are stale (e.g., 2.5 Men, The Office, 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother, even Big Bang Theory). Innovative comedies tat push beyond the typical sitcom mode don't do as well with the masses (e.g., Community). It seems like Modern Family is the only relatively new sitcom earning critical and audience acclaim (it's too early just yet to decide about The New Girl). Most of my favorite sitcoms aren't on network TV.

I think TV is in a flux because the old ways aren't working anymore. TV execs need to find new ways to calculate earnings, new formats to explore, and new ideas to formulate, especially for sitcoms.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
More than ever, just a vast sea of excessive long commercial ads, infomercials, worthless reality shows, inferior copycat shows, low quality mind-numbing shows. There are also quality shows, but they often don't get a large audience of viewers.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
No. The only thing better is that TVs are more advanced and we now have HD. The programming, which is littered with asinine "reality" shows is not, despite the fact that there are probably 20x more channels than there were 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
There is a lot more crap than there ever has been but the trade-off is that some of the best and most creative TV shows are on the air right now. The emergence of cable network TV shows has pushed television to a whole new level. They have a lot more flexibility than the big networks ever had and because of that, they are producing quality television that this country has never scene. Shows like Breaking Bad, Dexter, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, Justified, American Horror Story and so many others just beat the pants off old favorites like MASH.

Television is better now because it was never capable of being better than it is now due to the political correctness that the major networks have always had to follow.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
More channels and more choices are not equaling quality shows.
Would rep you if I could Pippy.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Well, the poll speaks for itself, lol...

Sometimes, the past WAS really better and our mind isn't playing tricks on us.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:37 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I think ont eh higer cable channels there are more commercials than ever, at least 10 in a row.

awful

we had more shows to watch in the 70's and less channells

Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
More channels and more choices are not equaling quality shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
500 channels of crap and commercials
Yep, so true.

Back when there were only three channels that broadcast for about 12 hours a day so content to fill these hours was much easier to do. Now there is not nearly enough content for all the channels that broadcast 24/7/365.

That's where all these yucky reality shows come from.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
There's more shows today which means more crappy shows nobody will remember in ten years, but the good shows are in a different league from classic tv shows of yesteryear. Something like Eagleheart or The Wire would've been inconceivable 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV