Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 07:54 PM

9 posts, read 16,127 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had experience with the Nielsen Company and their TV monitoring? A representative stopped by to talk to me about being the "representative" for my area. I know they are a legitimate company but was wondering if anyone had experience with them? If so, what did you think? Was it worth it to participate? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM

410 posts, read 802,938 times
Depends on your viewing habits. If your household watches a lot of tv, then it would be an interesting project to take on. It gives nielsen the information they need (although skewed) to sell back to the local stations and networks about the time spent watching. Those reports are handed out to the tv station and network programmers so they can determine which programs need work on gaining better shares. Those same reports are given to the sales people so they can go out and show their numbers to clients who buy air. As a former broadcasting sales rep, I learned, you live by the numbers, you die by the numbers.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 AM

60 posts, read 207,636 times
I did a radio study with them once and was supposed to do a tv as well and was not willing to connect the way the requested...don't recall the details...but overall seemed like a good company.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I used to participate in the Canadian version of Neilson.
Its all automated these days so nothing needs to be written down.Usually they like families with 2 parents and at least 2 kids.
They send you a box of electronic stuff that consists of a modem that plugs into a phone outlet and some filter jacks for other phone plug outlets,then everyone in the family wears a small monitor during waking hours that keeps track of everything you watch and sends the information to the modem then onto a central data collection center.
Usually they send each user a cheque for up to $10 a month depending how much you wore your monitor, they also have bonus amount up to $500 but in the few years we were on the program we never got a bonus.
Biggest problem i found with the program was getting every one in the family to wear the monitors,after a while it became impossible to motivate the kids to wear the damn things and our participation was terminated..

Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
OMG! I can't imagine wearing some silly monitors, especially for practically nothing! Maybe for five thousand dollars a month, but not otherwise. But they're not interested in our TV watching anyway. Over a certain age, you don't exist for them.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:18 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,969 times
Default Nielsen Television Ratings

Can anyone recommend any websites that posts the Nielsen Primetime tv ratings for a given night? The two websites that I have used previously tvbythenumbers.com and showbizdaily.com have appeared to have gone under.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:43 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
It's not perfect, nor as complete as TVbtNumbers (which I used to love), but try TVLine

https://tvline.com/

They give news & updates on various TV shows, and the industry as a whole. About 20-30 stories a day. And most days, they'll have one on ratings. For example:

https://tvline.com/2021/05/21/tv-rat...es-finale-fox/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV