Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Goes to show you "anyone" can have a TV show- as long as you can "spin it" where large markets will buy it and produce it. I think TLC is just sick- the crap that they put on that channel is horriable. TLC- Truck Load of Crap
Love your take on the TLC acronym!

I think the definition of what constitutes a marketable show has sunk as low as the American public's tastes. Since enough people tune in to watch this crap, it must be making the network big money or they wouldn't continue to make them. Maybe watching sick, desperate people makes us feel better, smarter, luckier, whatever. Is it so we can sit there and judge them to be "lower" than us? Who knows.

Unfortunately, there are folks desperate enough for fame and cash, willing to humiliate themselves for our entertainment. The cycle continues to spiral downward until we are truly in a world as portrayed in the movie "Idiocracy". Not trying to be a snob, but I've only seen the trailers for Honey Boo Boo and Toddlers and Tiaras, and just the idea of watching a whole episode just makes me sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Oh God! I just saw a preview for this show for the first time last night and almost spit out my wine. They made it sound like the viewer should know who this little girl was already (guess I missed a memo or something). All I thought was "oh, good, more over-the-top depictions of trailer trash."

In the 1800s and early 20th century, they had side shows where you could see the freaks. To me, this is just an updated version of the freak show, and TLC is the ringleader. And to think they used to be the Learning channel.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
TLC is pathetic. Yet they're laughing all the way to the bank. To me that is sad, the network should be going bankrupt.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
I recently saw the previews as well and my heart broke for that child. What a messed up life she's going to have. It will be miracle if she stays off the pole or the pipe.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
Yes, making the South look ridiculous and ignorant is nothing new. The sad thing is that there are people willing to play along to make a buck. Ignorance is everywhere, and it is no more prevalent in the South than anywhere else.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh God! I just saw a preview for this show for the first time last night and almost spit out my wine. They made it sound like the viewer should know who this little girl was already (guess I missed a memo or something). All I thought was "oh, good, more over-the-top depictions of trailer trash."

In the 1800s and early 20th century, they had side shows where you could see the freaks. To me, this is just an updated version of the freak show, and TLC is the ringleader. And to think they used to be the Learning channel.
I saw the preview of this show. It's disgusting. "You better redneck-onize". OMGosh!

We continue to watch reality tv, so this is what we get. I have watched my share of trash tv, but I don't watch shows featuring children. Teen Moms is a horrible show. Adults watch and judge these young girls. These girls shouldn't be on tv.

Last edited by Childfree35; 07-28-2012 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
TLC has been insisting for years that I stop watching the channel totally. This crap is the final straw. You win, TLC! I'm never watching again!

Sent from my AT100 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Anyone in any type of public spotlight and who wants MORE of the spotlight knows they have to be "over the top" or have some kind of gimmick in order to be the center of attention. From the trainwreck that's being discussed in this thread to Tim Tebow and his claim of being a "virgin" and getting down on one knee every time he makes a touchdown ---- all over the top nonsense to get attention and get the focus on them so they will be able to bring in the $$$$

Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
It's truly sad because when I look at the previews, I see a family being exploited. When you see the mother, she doesn't seem to have a full set of brains to realize that her daughter is being laughed at by America. I could care less about the adults being laughed at, but we are talking about a child.

Anyone remember Swan Brooner? Honey Boo Boo is 10X worse, but that now young woman went through the ringer.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
My daughter competed in glitz pageants for a few years in her early teens. The saddest thing about this show is that Honey Boo Boo and her family are definetly NOT TYPICAL (at least in the northern states) . Most young pageant girls are bright, articulate and talented not like Honey Boo Boo. And, 95% of the parents are "normal" not crazy, attention seeking publicity junkies like her family.

I watched Honey Boo Boo and her Mom on a TV talk show and just cringed at how badly they acted and sounded. It really made them look like "southern white trash". I expected them to live in a double wide trailer in a run down mobile home park.

It is a sad commentary on America if this is what people watch on TV. I needed to take a cold shower and watch Masterpiece Theater to get those horrible TV images out of my mind.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-29-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV