Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I loved the opening ceremonies. I thought it was an amazing production and I was very touched by the faces of the volunteers particularly when the rings were lit.
My only complaint was the absolutely unnecessary ramblings by the NBC anchors. I really did not need the so-called background and commentary.
With the multitude of ESPN channels, Fox Sports, and live streaming, NBC is struggling to remain relevant. They are not helping their cause this week. Not even with Ryan Secrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 AM

645 posts, read 988,796 times
Instead of live tweeting that the World Wide Web was "for everyone" - I think it would have been great if Tim Berners-Lee Rickrolled the entire 1 Billion + viewing audience.

I don't know why people got all up in arms about the Queen picking her nails when the British athletes paraded in...I mean, c'mon, folks, I'm sure she was pretty knackered after joining the Mile High Club with James Bond and then skydiving out of a helicopter into the Olympic Stadium and all...sheesh!

Old 07-28-2012, 12:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Seriously?? You like the pomp and circumstance of the ceremonies, but nothing else in 17 days of actual competition??

I can barely swim to save myself from drowning, but for sure I want to see Phelps and Lochte duke it out tonight! And it's interesting to watch _some of the lesser known sports, or follow the story of certain athletes, like Lolo Jones and whether she can win this time, etc. I usually have found that by the end of the competition I feel bereft that I have to go back to my regular programming .
Its not that i dont like many sports but the whole Olympic spectacle is just too big for tv, at the moment i have around 15 tv channels all showing me a different sporting event and they dont stick with the events its a few kayak heats here a few miles of biking there,a few rounds of boxing a few heats of swimming theres just no continuity of anything.maybe that hodge podge of sports coverage is pleasurable for some it just doesnt work for me.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
I felt the NBC announcers were treating the ceremonies like a Thanksgiving Day parade. They're totally clueless.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Very dull. The buildup for Paul McCartney was really aggravating- he barely sang at all. The announcers were killing me, and really, all the commercials. I wish they had covered all the countries (other than the US and GBR!) fairly equally. I would have like to have seen all the costumes. I barely saw Italy at all!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
The opening ceremony was a sleeping pill as always. Only those who suffer from severe insomnia can sit through all four hours.
Sadly for swedish viewers this is the last year without commercials.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Way too much preoccupation with children for my taste ... and a celebration for their National Health Service? wtf?
Maybe at the next Olympics in the US, we will do a Social Security celebration.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 PM

An option to running commercials could be advertising banners. The banners could be on the sides of the picture vertically

Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Way too much preoccupation with children for my taste ... and a celebration for their National Health Service? wtf?
Maybe at the next Olympics in the US, we will do a Social Security celebration.
And then showcase American novels by showing huge figures of "The Raven", "Pennywise the Clown", and a head spinning vomiting possessed young girl. Can't show Tom and Huck since they've been declared racist and offensive. Maybe they can put a floor painting of a giant moldy piece of sandwich meat in honor of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"?

Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
NBC can't be blamed for the disasterous Opening Ceremonies but from here until Closing Ceremonies they can,should and will be blamed for their gawd awful coverage. Each time NBC gets their turn, they have no idea how to cover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV