Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
not sure if you are being funny or giving me an honest answer.
The Olympics were set up for amateur athletes. Pros have no business being there. Makes no sense.
If other countries were sending pros, there are ways to stop that without joining the madness
I'm not being funny. USA basketball won a bronze medal in Seoul. In 1984, our college players won the gold medal, albeit without most of the soviet bloc in the competition since they boycotted. In 88, The Soviet Union won gold and Yugoslavia won silver, we won bronze. Most of their players were, as tofurkey, said not technically professionals, but they were definitely in the gray area. We've dominated ever since, except for the 2004 Olympics where we won bronze again even with our pros.

I don't watch the basketball competition anymore ... it's no fun.

The sport I don't understand it's popularity, nor it's point is beach volleyball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
They are proud of their national health service. how about showing American health service-insurance companies counting money, bonuses while people go poor paying the bills. American healthcare system is a disgrace.
but it has nothing to do with the Olympics ... wonder how many athletes use the NHS when they are hurt?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With thousands of athletes competing from over 200 countries how do you separate the professionals from the amateurs?
I mostly will watch gymnastics and swimming with interest in those who have recently competed at a university or amateur level. Otherwise, I have a life that continues...

I'm not wasting time waiting on NBC to show me action for which I already know the results. It'll be shown hundreds of times in the next several years. If I'm desperate to view, I'll watch it streaming from foreign broadcasts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...complains.html

Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
it's kind of like this--if Kobe Bryant is competing--it isn't an amateur event
Ditto of Andy Roddick,Serena Williams............you get the idea
The big names are kinda obvious but with thousands of athletes from hundreds of countries and you only want to watch the Amateurs? sounds like a daunting task to separate them.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-30-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Olympic Opening Ceremony shows culture, history, heritage, entertainment of host country. not just athletes. A country's heritage is about common people also, not that some rich athlete is able to afford overpriced american health care so US system is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
but it has nothing to do with the Olympics ... wonder how many athletes use the NHS when they are hurt?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
NBC's olympic website is annoying to navigate through as well, what a poorly designed website.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Basketball is a sore spot for American Olympic history and the corruption of the Soviet Union and IOC. This was the second controversy of the Munich Olympics of 1972. United States men's national basketball team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-30-2012, 05:36 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
NBC's olympic website is annoying to navigate through as well, what a poorly designed website.
I've got probably 15 channels all airing various Olympic events, they each usually spend 10-15 minutes on each event before switching to another sport, virtually impossible to watch as there is just no continuity of anything.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:54 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
NBC coverage is always horrid. I like the years ABC has coverage. Even CBS covers it better. NBC seems to have no clue.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I've really been enjoying the games so far this year. I love watching the sports that don't get any airtime normally, other than every 4 years. I liked watching the road race cycling the past 2 mornings. The archery competitions were great.

I'm actually glad they haven't been showing the basketball games on TV. To me, that's the sport that doesn't belong in the Olympics the way it is currently played. To me, the Olympics should be ameture athletes only, not multi-multi-millionaire Basketball players that are too stuck up for their own good. If they would only allow college players, it would be better. I like how soccer does it by only allowing players under 23 (and 3 over age players). Even though they're all professionals too, at least there is some semblance of ametuerism.
All the other countries sponsor their athletes. They're "amateur" in name only. The guys playing soccer are some of the highest paid athletes in Europe....and how about tennis? I think the BEST athletes should participate- amateur or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV