Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times

Advertisements

Most of the shows I enjoy were before my time or I was a toddler when they made their debut. Hate all the reality tripe that is on today. Love ME tv. Here is my list.

All in the Family
The Jefferson's
Good Times
Maude
The Andy Griffith Show
Emergency!
Dragnet ('67,68,69, and '70)
Adam 12
Leave it to Beaver
Hawaii Five-0 (the original)

The only old sitcom I will not watch is The Honeymooners. Jackie Gleason was an awesome actor, but I think Ralph Cramden was a bellicose, ignorant, and fat jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Always liked I Married Joan. I was alive but too young to remember.

When I was a kid I didn't like "I Love Lucy" because she seemed so dumb and I don't know why but I felt embarassed for her. I did like Joan because she was appeared to be smart and I liked that. I guess I was around seven or so at the time maybe younger so I don't know why I got these impressions but kids do pick up on strange things.

I always liked Susie Macnamara on "Private Secretary." I thought it was neat that she had a job. Same for "Our Miss Brooks." I think I must have been a little feminist before my time.

Of course these shows were obviously not older than me but I did see them first run. I wish they would show them today.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:32 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,269 times
For whatever dumb reason, I like "Love that Bob", "Burns and Allen" and "The Donna Reed Show". All b4 my time, but just fun to watch

Old 09-25-2012, 12:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Besides all the "Star Trek" fans out there, do you like other "oldies but goodies"?
I don't like the old Star Trek. Love the new stuff, but not like Enterprise (Scott bleccula).
Movies are ok.
For reference - born in 1976.

My all-time favorite sitcom is I Love Lucy.
Loved Gilligan's Island as a kid...and Three's Company.
Mr Ed was fun (liked it as a kid - not so much now), as was Donna Reed.
When Golden Girls was on, it was 'too old' for me at the time, but my mother and I would watch it together.
Same with Murder She Wrote.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,333 times
For some reason I love Kojak. Mainly because I was born in the late 70's and like the way they talk on the show, especially Kojak and the crooks. The dialogue has me ROTFL.

Just watched one episode and it shows this Greek-American crook who is shifting fur coats for the mob. On the phone to his wife a minute before the police raid she's asking him if he knows that it is Tuesday. He replies in NY accent "I know its Tuesday. 9 years we've been married now, every week I wake up I think to myself tonight's the night I could eat yout mother's patato pancakes, don't talk to me about Tuesday".

Maybe its just nostalgia for my parent's generation and the kinds of people I had around me growing up but people just don't seem to be as naturally charsmatic or funny anymore. There's smart funny, intellectual know it all funny but I miss that casual knock around banter that people seemed to have naturally but seems to have faded out noe. Ah (sigh), nostalgia.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't like the old Star Trek. Love the new stuff, but not like Enterprise (Scott bleccula).
You don't like the former Quantum Leap star?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,510 times
Not many TV shows before my time either.
I rediscovered some shows that aired when I was just a tiny tot. Some of the early 50's game shows were quite fun to watch, and I think I may have now seen every You Bet Your Life episode that's available to watch free online. For the younger set, that was Groucho Marx's game show.

Early TV, some stands up well, some doesn't. Some are so poor in concept and execution that they're just interesting to watch and think, gee - people sure were starved for entertainment.

You can see many shows on You Tube, or better yet, the Internet Archive
Classic TV : Free Movies : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
I like bette davis and joan crawford movies

Old 09-26-2012, 02:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Okay, here's a quiz. Kudos to the first poster with the correct answer:

Which '50s children's show taught hundreds of thousands of young watchers how to correctly spell "encyclopedia"?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Okay, here's a quiz. Kudos to the first poster with the correct answer:

Which '50s children's show taught hundreds of thousands of young watchers how to correctly spell "encyclopedia"?
The Mickey Mouse Club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV