Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times

Advertisements

Yes, some of the episodes are complete misses for me too. When they are good though, they are really really good. I just hope he doesnt get too far away from the humor aspect of his show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I watched a half hour show about a guy puking at the thought of seeing his father and then he ends up stealing a bike,and boat and sits out in an ocean...... heck yeah thats funny stuff?(sic) what am I missing here?
Again, Louie isn't a 100% laugh out loud sitcom. It's more of a comedic drama. If you're looking to laugh every minute this probably isn't the show for you.

Granted this past episode wasn't the greatest and some are misses, but I think if you're invested (with any show) at this point, then you'll at least be entertained. AFAIK there haven't been very many stand-up scenes, if at all this season.

Truth be told it took me a couple of half-hearted tries to get into the show. I saw the ep. with Dane Cook (if you know anything about that whole joke debacle) and it stuck with me.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
You're telling me the soup nazi wasn't lovable??? Blasphemy!
No! He wasn't loveable! Loveable characters on Seinfeld are mocked, or in the case of Susan, killed. Not that there's anything wrong with that

Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Again, Louie isn't a 100% laugh out loud sitcom. It's more of a comedic drama. If you're looking to laugh every minute this probably isn't the show for you.

Granted this past episode wasn't the greatest and some are misses, but I think if you're invested (with any show) at this point, then you'll at least be entertained. AFAIK there haven't been very many stand-up scenes, if at all this season.

Truth be told it took me a couple of half-hearted tries to get into the show. I saw the ep. with Dane Cook (if you know anything about that whole joke debacle) and it stuck with me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well I am still watching this show it moves at the pace of a soap opera, it seems to be a show about a loser who keeps trudging along will he finally make it ....wake me up and tell me

Old 09-15-2012, 08:18 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
if it is worth skipping Season 1 and going straight to Season 2 as Season 2 appears to be where the show has really gained momentum in terms of quality.
IMO, it's one of those shows that you pretty much can jump into anywhere - it's not as linear as many series. Like Seinfeld, there are some inside jokes and themes that crop up again, but not knowing the reference only softens the impact, it doesn't negate it.

I think the Seinfeld/Curb comparisons work to a certain extent. It has droll, observational humor like Seinfeld and the dark comedy-of-errors of Curb. There's also plenty of scatalogical humor and the delivery can be crass/brash which could be a turn-off for some people. If you're familiar with his stand-up and ok with that, though, you'll be fine with the show.

Maybe I'm too dark but I do find this show to be laugh at loud funny - sometimes it's even gotta pee, tears running down your face funny

Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 AM

This week's episode of Louie was great! Love all the cameo apprearances. David Lynch is a HOOT!!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 05:21 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
This week's episode of Louie was great! Love all the cameo appearances. David Lynch is a HOOT!!!!
Definitely! The last 2 episodes have seen Louie return to top form! Less surrealism and more humor. I loved the conversation with his ex-wife, she is great - "Nobody really needs a Dad".

Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Definitely! The last 2 episodes have seen Louie return to top form! Less surrealism and more humor. I loved the conversation with his ex-wife, she is great - "Nobody really needs a Dad".
My favorite has to be the episodes about the duckling.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 AM

990 posts, read 939,285 times
I LOVED Lucky Louie and really like Louis CK's standup/writing. But I find this show to be mediocre at best. It's slow, it's not very funny and not in any way insightful to me. I don't like how the show never seems connected and the kids come and go and it's not a good sign when the standup portions are the only funny parts (unlike Seinfeld where the standup was merely a way to set up the theme of the episode).

I just think Louie is incredibly overrated...

Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
My friend showed me an episode once. Had no appeal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV