Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times

Advertisements

so his misery is what is funny to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
so his misery is what is funny to you?
If you study the art of comedy, it is a very miserable discipline. Being able to find humor in the absurd and sad makes us human.

How many happy comedians can you name?

Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
IMO, it's one of those shows that you pretty much can jump into anywhere - it's not as linear as many series. Like Seinfeld, there are some inside jokes and themes that crop up again, but not knowing the reference only softens the impact, it doesn't negate it.

I think the Seinfeld/Curb comparisons work to a certain extent. It has droll, observational humor like Seinfeld and the dark comedy-of-errors of Curb. There's also plenty of scatalogical humor and the delivery can be crass/brash which could be a turn-off for some people. If you're familiar with his stand-up and ok with that, though, you'll be fine with the show.

Maybe I'm too dark but I do find this show to be laugh at loud funny - sometimes it's even gotta pee, tears running down your face funny
I took the advice of an earlier poster and others by checking out his stand up performances beforehand on YouTube. I really enjoyed them, some were brilliant and whilst there were others that were a litle more hit and miss it has given me a little taste of what to expect and I think I will enjoy the show.

Louis really appears to have a genuine comedic flair and a natural talen for delivery and that is often sorely lacking in alot of contemporary comedians who seem all too often to tend to be over-confident people who have studiously rehearsed some very formulaic lines.

My Boxed set still hasn't arrived, and it stil hasn't been aired on British television but I'm very much looking forward to watching it when it does. Having just returned to London from Spain with nothing but work and relentless rain to get me through the autumn I could do with some dark comedy to get me through the grind. And I'm often the type of person who really enjoys dark comedy for some reason.

I think it's the Irish in me. As Sean O' Casey (Irish playwright) finely observed "The Irish are a nation that treats a joke as a serious thing and a serious thing as a joke". Anyway, really enjoyed the thread and hope I will have caught up with you all by the next new season.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 AM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times
IMO, Louie isn't really that great. I've enjoyed some episodes, but it's nowhere close to being on the level of Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm (which is what it often gets compared to). It's OK to somewhat good.

Louis C.K. himself is hilarious, and his comedy bits are excellent. But the plots for the show are often very depressing, and don't really go anywhere. I found myself watching more to see his comedy routines than anything else. I can think of a few good episodes, and at least it's somewhat different than your average sitcom, but it really lacks something. I think Louis C.K. is better as a straight-up stand-up comedian, rather than a TV show writer.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
it just moves so slow with nothing to hold your interest but I will continue to try to see louies greatness.......maybe it reminds me of my life to much...............

Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
David Lynch should get an emmy for his performance.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
IMO, Louie isn't really that great. I've enjoyed some episodes, but it's nowhere close to being on the level of Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm (which is what it often gets compared to). It's OK to somewhat good.

Louis C.K. himself is hilarious, and his comedy bits are excellent. But the plots for the show are often very depressing, and don't really go anywhere. I found myself watching more to see his comedy routines than anything else. I can think of a few good episodes, and at least it's somewhat different than your average sitcom, but it really lacks something. I think Louis C.K. is better as a straight-up stand-up comedian, rather than a TV show writer.
Interesting perspective and I'll bare that in mind. I'll keep an open mind. I'm very intrigued with the show and will give an honest appraisal once I have viewed it.

Usually there are many comedians who aren't naturally funny in person but who have great scripts written for them. This show appears to have given a genuinely talented stand up a platform and been told to run with it from what I can gather so far.

Alot of varied views here but I'm confident I'll at least enjoy the show. To what extent remains to be seen.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 09-24-2012 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post

I think it's the Irish in me. As Sean O' Casey (Irish playwright) finely observed "The Irish are a nation that treats a joke as a serious thing and a serious thing as a joke".
Love this

Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post

Usually there are many comedians who aren't naturally funny in person but who have great cripts written for them. This show appears to have given a genuinely talented stand up a platform and been told to run with it from what I can gather so far.
Louis C.K. keeps it real!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yes yes that's it. Realism.

The show is just so basic. Nothing outlandish. The storylines could happen to anyone with just a touch of humor that doesn't happen to everyone. Did you see the last episode? I am so glad I have never dealt with a kid like that. The first part at the strip club was beyond hilarious but I could totally see that happening in real life. The show is set in New York but it's not the glamorous tv New York it's the New York that has real people.

And yes he is NOT a manchild. A lot of sitcoms are like that. Where in real life most men are just ordinary guys doing their thing versus acting like teenagers. I've known a few guys who were offended by shows like that. "Hey I raise my kids well and I'm good to my wife. I'm not like those guys on tv!" His interactions with his kids are cute without being cutesy poo. In his comedy acts he has a lot of punchlines that involve him calling his daughter filthy names but at the end he's just a regular guy who wouldn't cuss out his daughter like Alec Baldwin.

So yeah the best episodes of Louie are the simplest ones.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is awesomeness. Beyond words funny. However, totally different from Louie. The only thing they have in common is that lead actors are playing themselves.
I really enjoy both shows but haven't watched Curb Your Enthusiasm lately - I have been watching Louie and the David Lynch and Parker Posey episodes were just superb - surreal and disturbing and funny as hell!

I find Louie very easy to relate to - just dealing with life's frustrations, other people's quirks and randomness and just trying to get through and hopefully make some sense of it all - just as we are all doing in our own unique - and no doubt to others - often baffling and incomprehensible ways

The joy is in the fact that we can still find humor in even the most awkward and difficult moments and we can empathise with Louie because we've all. at some stage, found ourselves in those unsettling/awkward/just downright weird scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV