Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times

Advertisements

Watched tonight's episode. Atlantic City looked good.

Next week is the "reunion" --- looking forward to seeing how they explain away all the fakeness and BS of the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Watched tonight's episode. Atlantic City looked good.

Next week is the "reunion" --- looking forward to seeing how they explain away all the fakeness and BS of the series.
And they weren't even very good "actors" like when the one guy was breaking up with his Amish fiance.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I found this show a bit heartbreaking. It seemed like these kids were being exploited...and their home lives destroyed...Hope I'm wrong.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I found this show a bit heartbreaking. It seemed like these kids were being exploited...and their home lives destroyed...Hope I'm wrong.

How so?? They've all already left their Amish/Mennonite culture and left long before the show even started. The show was a sham ---- the younger couple was already married w/a baby. That gross one (jeremiah) was already married, divorced, had kids that he doesn't support. The pretty girl was already modeling and had been arrested for DUI. The Puerto Rican one was already away from her Mennonite family.

Do you REALLY think these ADULTS (not kids) would leave a sheltered Amish/Mennonite life and instantly know street talk, how to dress, not be embarassed about dressing in a bikini to model, know how to walk in heels, instantly get a HUGE tattooo, etc etc etc.....

Let's see what happens on the "reunion" next week.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Did anyone else notice the pitiful misspellings in the "storyboard" Bible verses they put up before each scene? Last night they had a quotation from "Pslams", which is, I guess a little known book in the Bible, similar to Psalms.

Maybe that's where the term "Slam poetry" came from, and it used to have a silent "P"?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,280 times
Did anybody see the episode where Jeremiah said he was 35? I was like what?! Here i thought these were all young kids -in their early 20's and here is this old guy. Made no sense to me.
Yea most of the show is fake- but I still watch. It's like not being able to turn away from a car wreck.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
OMG 35 is old. I will be 39 next month. Good Lord have Mercy!

I haven't watched last nights episode yet. Its dvr'd and we will watch it tonight. Was last night a 2 hour episode or just one?

I thought last night was the season finale.... anyone>?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
It's a shame they could not get a few actual Amish youths, with no scandalous backstories, who are about to go on their "rumspringa," and show then getting exposed to the outside world, and then deciding whether to stay Amish or leave the community. In the first episode, when I still thought the show had some "reality" to it, I was actually touched by Rebecca's reaction to seeing a limousine for the first time (of course later I realized it was all faked). That's the kind of stuff I'd like to see from real Amish young people who really have not yet been exposed to that stuff. I didn't need all the manufactured interpersonal drama either. To me, seeing actual people who have been sheltered actually seeing the world would be MUCH more interesting...Seeing the stuff we take for granted through their eyes.

But instead of 5 sheltered, innocent Amish 20-somethings we got:
Four 20-somethings and, inexplicably, a 36 year old guy who acts like he's 14.
Five young people who had previously left their communities and who have already lived in the outside world before the TV show.
A girl who never really fit in with her Amish community anyway, since she was born out of wedlock when her scandalous mom (who was presumably excommunicated) hooked up with a married man.
Another girl who never really fit in with her Mennonite community because she was adopted at a young age and was Italian/Puerto Rican by birth.
A young woman who was supposed to be an Amish bishop's daughter, but who had inexplicably lived for a time in Florida and gotten arrested for DUI (something that not only involves drinking but driving a car).
A young man and young woman who had already run off together, gotten shunned, and had a baby together, acting like innocent virgins, and the young woman was also previously married at age 19.
A young Mennonite woman who had previously been married and divorced.
A man who had been married, divorced, excommunicated, let back in, fathered kids out of wedlock, and had arrests for domestic violence.

Doesn't TLC realize that if we want artificial interpersonal drama and scandal, we would watch other reality TV shows on other channels? Maybe many of us really wanted to LEARN something by seeing our world through the eyes of truly sheltered innocents being exposed to things for the first time.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Was there something that came on last night after the episode of Breaking Amish or is that on next week?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Last night's episode just kind of ticked me off. Sabrina and Rebecca kept talking about having no idea what a bridal shower and a bachelor party was. I am sure they knew. Oh, and the part where Sabrina sits there with big eyes and says, "I guess I am going to be doing a lot of sinning tonight" was just plain stupid. Also, why do they keep on showing them in their religious clothing when they get interviewed? We all know they wear English clothing now, so what is the point, it just makes it all look even more ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV