Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,144,271 times

Advertisements

Was channel surfing last night because the NFL game was a dud, and I saw this show on TLC. I think it's great, it's about 5 amish people who break off from their community for a chance to make it in the real world. Anyone catch it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,600,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Was channel surfing last night because the NFL game was a dud, and I saw this show on TLC. I think it's great, it's about 5 amish people who break off from their community for a chance to make it in the real world. Anyone catch it?
I was going to make a post about this and you beat me to it!

I caught this last night and it was pretty interesting to see their take on places I go through on a regular basis since I live in NYC. The next episode looks pretty interesting where they start to break further away from their traditions.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,222,805 times
Yeah it looked very interesting.

That Bishop's wife is a bad mammajama. He seemed to be truly scared for his life. Told most of the camera crew to beat it like Michael Jackson and ran upstairs to pack.

I just can't imagine being so scared that I would just run into my room grab what belongings I could in 5 minutes and run.

I've always been fascinated by the Amish. It seems so odd to choose that lifestyle but form the way these young people see it the lifestyle chose them. I liked it. I will definitely be tuning in.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,161,072 times
It's very entertaining and interesting, so far. Hope they don't go too far down the Real World/Jersey Shore path.

I'm curious to find out which of the participants will choose to stay in the city and who will want to return to their communities, and if they will be allowed to do so.

Wonder why Rebecca has to wear false teeth at the age of 20...that seemed really odd.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,434,941 times
I didn't realize that the Amish didn't show affection towards each other such as hugging and kissing. That is so sad for all of their children being raised without that kind of love.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 AM

37,096 posts, read 42,088,112 times
I joined Netflix back in 2004 for the sole reason to rent a documtary called The Devils Playground which is about Amish teens going off into the world for "Rumspringa." I had no clue about the Amish or the fact that they even did this so I can see how a TV series would be interesting.

Like all real life things it would be best done in a documentary fashion for one season only. But also like all reality tv shows it will probably go the way of Jersey Shore and Teen Mom and give us a slew of Amish "celebrities" with plots that are scripted for maximum drama and shock value. Too bad.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,362,353 times
Rebecca seems to have an attitude.....and I think Kate is going to confront it,
Abe would make the perfect mate with Rebbecca, she could abuse and order his wimpy butt all over new york!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,077,097 times
Just from watching the first 2 episodes, my predictions are that Abe and Rebecca will return to Lancaster, as will Sabrina. I think Kate and Jeremiah will remain "English."

I liked how much of Lancaster they showed in the first episode. I recognized so many of the locations from numerous trips to the area. I especially got a kick out of seeing Sabrina talking to her friend outside of her work, which turned out to be the National Christmas Center in Lancaster.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,144,271 times
Isn't Kate being billed as some sort of super hot Amish woman? Apparently she got a DUI. She's cute, not gonna lie, but I wonder what's the story on her.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,285,347 times
I do not think these people are a good representation of the Amish. I cannot say for Mennonites. I used to live in a rural area full of Amish people and as I was watching the first episode of this show all I could say over and over to my bf was that I did not think they were Amish. I still don't.

I remember when I was much younger, the Amish kids would party with my cousins and that was a bit strange. I have had Amish patients, Amish neighbors.

I have bought produce and dairy from the Amish. These people do not act Amish, they don't sound Amish either.

My most recent encounter with the Amish was almost a year ago on Thanksgiving. It was so funny because a bunch of us were outside, maybe 30, and it was my bfs first time meeting the family and a couple of Amish teenaged boys came by in their buggy and screamed, "Y'all having a party?!?!?!" I could have died on the spot. My bf always kids with me about my country accent and here come the Amish!

That was very weird that they did that. They normally don't have a lot to say to you unless they are conducting business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV