Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 01:37 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to whisper to Rachael that she needs to be careful and lay low, be invisible. Guess not.

And I guess the Illumanati is somehow involved. That IS their symbol.

I wish Miles had asked the guy about the trains before he did to him whatever he did.

Anyone read past the early books? Is this part of the the origional story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I read the entire series and it isn't close at all from what I remember. In fact I was surprised that it was even based on that series. If it is, I have to go back and reread them as I don't ever remember them discovering the cause of "blackout" or caring about it.

It's on the Dies the Fire from Stirling no?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:51 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I was yelling please kill Rachael. AARRGGHH! I actually know someone like her in real life, she runs in to "fix things" without thinking and always makes matters worse. Granted her actions haven't killed millions (that I know of). Anyway, Rachael is really getting annoying.

I have no idea where they're going with this season.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I was yelling please kill Rachael. AARRGGHH! I actually know someone like her in real life, she runs in to "fix things" without thinking and always makes matters worse. Granted her actions haven't killed millions (that I know of). Anyway, Rachael is really getting annoying.

I have no idea where they're going with this season.
I think its giving us an almost third world/post Roman world view of the breakdown of civilization. I do find it very interesting. The adults still remember civilization. The children don't. Once the adults are gone it will go full medieval. And into any vaccum comes those who have better toys and more capacity to take. I think part of Rachael's problem is she realizes that her action of turning the power back on and the bombs and the allowing the Cuban exile government in she had literally allowed millions to die and she is deeply desperate to make some kind of amend. I don't think without that she would really care if she lived.

The character I think is fascinating is the daughter. She's not really of their world thought she was born into the other. But she is becoming the child of her world and that relatively peaceful village is long long over.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I read the entire series and it isn't close at all from what I remember. In fact I was surprised that it was even based on that series. If it is, I have to go back and reread them as I don't ever remember them discovering the cause of "blackout" or caring about it.

It's on the Dies the Fire from Stirling no?
That's the series. I read the first and intend to read more.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:40 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
this show started off being about living in a world w/o power

now it involves magic (which the writers will explain by using some fake science nanite technology nonsense)

i'm not surprised though...seems every show now in order to make it interesting will introduce some element of time travel or something supernatural at some point

lemme guess, now that rachel, miles, charlie, monroe, neville etc all have a common enemy (the us "patriots") they will work together now as the resistance

that will be the basic storyline and the b-story will be aaron and his stupid magic powers

funny though, this season is more entertaining than season one

Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
this show started off being about living in a world w/o power

now it involves magic (which the writers will explain by using some fake science nanite technology nonsense)

i'm not surprised though...seems every show now in order to make it interesting will introduce some element of time travel or something supernatural at some point

lemme guess, now that rachel, miles, charlie, monroe, neville etc all have a common enemy (the us "patriots") they will work together now as the resistance

that will be the basic storyline and the b-story will be aaron and his stupid magic powers

funny though, this season is more entertaining than season one
I wouldn't call it magic. Nanites in less tiny form are being researched today and the idea of a group intelligence is an old given of science fiction. Magic in those terms is something which has no explanation within the story or genre. It is the difference between science fiction and fantasy.

Arron and his new powers do make sense in terms of this. He died. He wasn't breathing for two hours. He had one of the converters on him which drew them and like they fixed others who were living they 'fixed' him. But likely much of his brain function had deteriorated past it so they filled it in, and have quite literally 'merged' with him. For those who know about them and what happened it won't be magic. For those who don't, it will be.

What is interesting is that for some characters it would be a wow this is a gift feeling. For him it is pure horror. As a character who had mutated into a merged being, his distaste makes it much more dramatic and human than if it was one of the agressors who would love the chance. And his fears that bit by bit he himself will dissapear are likely quite real.

It's realistic that the former enemies, now on the same level with the faux USA rapidly taking over, would join together. Loyalties are often a function of survival. When they were against each other it was the driving force. Now its quite clear that this government in exile may use the flag but not much else, and common interest will prevail.

I think it will be about how things sink even further down (given hints like the 'trains') and it will become Europe/Britan in the 8 to 900's. Perhaps Arron will be the mage of their side.

What I think is really interesting about this show and how they are taking it is we rarely see portraits of a time when thing are truely fluid and when a new cultural norm is just settling in. Give it fifty years and Rachel and other adults will be gone and nobody left will remember the world they lost.

And yes, I LOVE post apoc story lines and when you look at this one that way its actually very very well done.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wouldn't call it magic. Nanites in less tiny form are being researched today and the idea of a group intelligence is an old given of science fiction. Magic in those terms is something which has no explanation within the story or genre. It is the difference between science fiction and fantasy.

Arron and his new powers do make sense in terms of this. He died. He wasn't breathing for two hours. He had one of the converters on him which drew them and like they fixed others who were living they 'fixed' him. But likely much of his brain function had deteriorated past it so they filled it in, and have quite literally 'merged' with him. For those who know about them and what happened it won't be magic. For those who don't, it will be.

What is interesting is that for some characters it would be a wow this is a gift feeling. For him it is pure horror. As a character who had mutated into a merged being, his distaste makes it much more dramatic and human than if it was one of the agressors who would love the chance. And his fears that bit by bit he himself will dissapear are likely quite real.

It's realistic that the former enemies, now on the same level with the faux USA rapidly taking over, would join together. Loyalties are often a function of survival. When they were against each other it was the driving force. Now its quite clear that this government in exile may use the flag but not much else, and common interest will prevail.

I think it will be about how things sink even further down (given hints like the 'trains') and it will become Europe/Britan in the 8 to 900's. Perhaps Arron will be the mage of their side.

What I think is really interesting about this show and how they are taking it is we rarely see portraits of a time when thing are truely fluid and when a new cultural norm is just settling in. Give it fifty years and Rachel and other adults will be gone and nobody left will remember the world they lost.

And yes, I LOVE post apoc story lines and when you look at this one that way its actually very very well done.
Didn't he already have the nanonites in him from when Rachel healed him? I can see them being attracted to him due to that. Especially if on some level they are aware that he helped create them and programmed them when he attempted to turn them off. Evolving etc.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Didn't he already have the nanonites in him from when Rachel healed him? I can see them being attracted to him due to that. Especially if on some level they are aware that he helped create them and programmed them when he attempted to turn them off. Evolving etc.
I'd forgotten about that. But so did Racheal. I wonder if having the pendant and having naonites inside him drew them since she didn't get their help with the arrow.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'd forgotten about that. But so did Racheal. I wonder if having the pendant and having naonites inside him drew them since she didn't get their help with the arrow.
Nope I am wrong, Rachel only used it on herself and it appears that wouldn't be it. I remember wondering if the nanonites was going to help her. I think you are on track with the pendant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV