Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 07:55 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,753,532 times

Advertisements

I knew this was coming from reading a UK site so I wasn't surprised. Saddened but not surprised.

I agree about the content of the show in general. I only started watching two seasons ago so obviously I'm not personally familiar with a lot of the previous cast changes, although I know viewers have grieved the loss of Chummy and a number of others whose names I don't remember as they occurred prior to my finding the show.

I wonder how the story arc will go now? I have a number of scenarios/speculations running around in my head. I hope it doesn't completely lose its momentum, especially with Sister Monica Joan declining and some other foreseeable events on the horizon.

I did think the placement of the upbeat wardrobe bit at the end was a stark contrast to the tenor of the show. Between Barbara's death and the singing of Amazing Grace, I (and others) had come undone so the bright cheery dresser and his fashion spot were jarring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:50 AM

15,207 posts, read 10,238,419 times
I have a sneaking suspicion that Trixie will wind up with Jack Hereward.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:43 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,753,532 times
Yep! My thoughts exactly. Had they been an item in a previous season? Seems to me I read that somewhere. I know they're a couple in real life so the chemistry is certainly there. They could even incorporate their new real life baby in the show at an appropriate time and make it a family enterprise!

Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
When the writers used all the material from the book and tied up the story with the original lead character, IMO, the show lost something. However, the new original stories and characters were still very interesting, even if the show wasn't as good as it was before. I think there are going to be less babies delivered as more women were going to hospitals rather than having home deliveries. The nurses are going to have to treat other conditions besides obstetrics. I don't know how it was in the UK at that time, but throughout much of the 50s and certainly the 60s, in American urban areas, women gave birth in hospitals while under anesthesia. Also, by that time, "wards" with many patients in the same room continued in the UK for I guess about another 20 years or so, while in the US, after WWII, in most major city hospitals, patients were housed in semi-private rooms.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Yep! My thoughts exactly. Had they been an item in a previous season? Seems to me I read that somewhere. I know they're a couple in real life so the chemistry is certainly there. They could even incorporate their new real life baby in the show at an appropriate time and make it a family enterprise!

Yes, Trixie and Jack were an item a few years ago. I believe they were even engaged but Trixie realized she wouldn't be a good pastor's wife. I think him and Barbara were perfect for each other.

I hate that they killed her off.

How do you use those spoiler tags?

Old 05-03-2018, 09:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,909,164 times
Why did they even bring Barbara back this season if they were just going to kill her off? That was so disappointing. I loved her friendship with Phyllis!

To use a spoiler tag, highlight the text that you want to hide and then click on the "show-hide" icon at the top of the quick reply box. You'll see the word "Spoiler" show up in brackets on both ends of the text that you are hiding. Then when someone wants to read your spoiler, all they have to do is click on the word Spoiler and it will show up.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Why did they even bring Barbara back this season if they were just going to kill her off? That was so disappointing. I loved her friendship with Phyllis!

To use a spoiler tag, highlight the text that you want to hide and then click on the "show-hide" icon at the top of the quick reply box. You'll see the word "Spoiler" show up in brackets on both ends of the text that you are hiding. Then when someone wants to read your spoiler, all they have to do is click on the word Spoiler and it will show up.
Probably because Tom wanted to stay. Can't have him without her unless....

I too thought of Trixie and Tom getting back together. Maybe Tom will start drinking to deal with Barbara's death and Trixie will come back from rehab and help Tom deal.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

I tried this and it's not working on my computer. It's probably 10 years old at least so maybe it's got "issues".

Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM

29,696 posts, read 34,240,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I too thought of Trixie and Tom getting back together. Maybe Tom will start drinking to deal with Barbara's death and Trixie will come back from rehab and help Tom deal.
I imagine that's what they're going to do because of the real-life Tom and Trixie situation. I didn't like the way the show dispatched with Trixie's boyfriend this season. He seemed like a decent guy, and then all of a sudden everyone was all "go back to your wife" and "you're still practically married." I get that it's 1963, and the situation was new, but that's not how divorce works. That, plus the the Barbara situation makes me less than enthused about continuing with this show. It's a shark-jumping moment.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:35 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
I thought the only grounds for divorce in 1963 was adultery and you would have to prove that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV