Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 06:17 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times

Advertisements

Saw it last night. I thought it was one of the best Call the Midwife Holiday specials. Kudos for the self-criticism about orphan placement prior to WWII. You learn from your mistakes and evolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 05:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
Well, my DVR *did* record it (YAY) and I really enjoyed the show. Especially the whole orphanage storyline.

I know they've also been showing this for a while but it's interesting to see the transition happen from home births to the hospital.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:38 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,480,006 times
I enjoyed the Christmas special and can’t wait for the new season to start. I better stock up on Kleenex!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, my DVR *did* record it (YAY) and I really enjoyed the show. Especially the whole orphanage storyline.

I know they've also been showing this for a while but it's interesting to see the transition happen from home births to the hospital.

I love the way our pbs station shows things like Call the Midwife over really late. I had a bunch of stuff to do earlier, and had to give it full attention, and forgot to record it. Then with all the paper stuff back in its box, getting bills paid, I had a nice meal/snack and watched the last showing. Some things you can watch with distraction, some not, alas.

I just love this show because it portrays a society as it was, with those blemishes we today would say how awful. I'm not sure that US tv, at least commercial shows, can really do that. But the issues like the adoption policy are simply presented as is, without a lecture. The nurses are not happy about it, but they also know just how much worse it was before. People had been allowed to adopt especially older children to be part of a small labor force. Once they went with the new parents, they ceased to be orphans.

And while little is said of politcs in this episode, its there. The nurses go along with it because there isn't any other provision. And if there was another option it would be used. Their society is tied to the past when children were part of the farm or factory work, and the new one coming when they might be lucky and pass muster for going beyond the minimum, or be held back by their class. But you can sense, in the nurses words, how it doesn't need to be that way. It looks like this is going to be a really interesting season.

It wasn't exactly like that here, but then some places it was just as bad. The sad thing was in many placed children were useful or not, and if not were religated to the least.

I'm looking forward to this season and want a way to watch the whole thing in a major rewatch.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:40 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Has anybody been watching the new season which started last weekend?

Old 04-08-2019, 06:14 AM

7,365 posts, read 5,480,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Has anybody been watching the new season which started last weekend?
I have. Enjoying it so far.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:57 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
YES! Great episode this past Sunday. LOVE this show so much. The hour flies by so quickly.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
It's a little sanguine, but that's the appeal for me because most new shows aren't like that any more. Every episode is kind of "finding a silver lining in a cloud" type of theme. A lot of shows used to be like that. Then they became more "realistic" leaving the viewer feeling "disturbed" or "anguished." I find this show to be refreshing for a change and am enjoying the new season. I also like the new characters that they introduced.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Well last night was the season finale - I hate that the season is so short but I guess 8 fabulous episodes are better than what most TV series put out these days. The theme of some of the last couple of shows has been illegal abortions and it seemed very timely considering what is going on in the country right now. I love this show, it stirs up so many emotions in me. While I miss some of the original characters, I love the new ones also.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:45 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
This season was a little more gritty than most of the other seasons. Less babies being born and more medical things. The storyline with the young girl and Hodgkins disease was so sad.
It's such a well done show - you're so invested in the characters. Was very happy for the storyline involving Sheila and the Dr (can't think of his name right now!).
Also, very selfless of Nurse Crane to allow that other love match to bloom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV