Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enquiring Minds View Post
At this point I would not be suprised if even The Weather Channel stopped showing weather and focusing on reality shows about weather instead of actual weather updates.
That's already happened, too. In the Eastern time zone, weather is at 7 and 10 p.m. weekdays. If you miss it ... Oh, well. The rest of the time you're watching tornado hunters and inane stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM

91 posts, read 176,927 times
@ the OP you may want to tune into METV or Antenna Tv if available on your cable package they have good selection of old shows form the 50's 60's 70's and 80's dramas and sitcoms. Enjoy!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Overall there are more channels today, but less variety, more of the sameness in networks, and over airing marathons of the same shows everyday. You can only see the same episode so many times before you get tired of it until many years later.
I agree with this. I'm tired of TBS having 3 hour nightly blocks of Family Guy or The Big Bang Theory. The Big Bang Theory is everywhere now! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show, but there are only so many episodes and it's on 3 or 4 different channels every night. So I tune in only to find out they already showed this same episode 2 weeks ago. It was that way with Everybody Loves Raymond for a while, it was that way with The Office for a while. I know it costs money to buy syndication and you want to make sure you get something that will attract viewers (and I believe I read Big Bang reruns on TBS had more viewers than several network shows this summer), but still, it would nice to have more variety. That includes movies. I don't need to see Independence Day for the bazillionth time.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Came across this recently and thought i'd share....it's amazing how much this network has changed over the years, but there was actually a time when cable TV did not air the same shows everyone else airs, and there was a time when they had more variety, not showing 6 episodes in a row of the same show.

Here is the Nick at Nite schedule (timezone listting is for eastern/pacific, so you might need to adjust the difference if you are not in either area)

Monday - Friday

8pm Mr.Ed
8:30 The Patty Duke Show
9pm My 3 Sons
9:30 Donna Reed Show
10pm The Best of Saturday Night Live
10:30 SCTV
11pm Laugh-In
11:30 Car 54
Midnite Make Room For Daddy
12:30 Mr. Ed
1am The Patty Duke Show
1:30 My 3 Sons
2am Donna Reed Show
2:30 The Best of Saturday Night Live
3am SCTV
3:30 Ann Sothern Show/Susie (rotating episode cycles for each show)
4am Nick at Nite Movie

This is a piece of TV history for anyone that remembers, or anyone that wanted to know how Nick at Nite...and cable TV used to be.

Not sure why Nick at Nite dropped their classic TV lineup in the mid 2000s but they were the destination for classic TV at one time.

I definitely wouldn't have been watching Nick@Nite in 1989 with those shows on the schedule

Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM

49 posts, read 235,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I definitely wouldn't have been watching Nick@Nite in 1989 with those shows on the schedule
Why not? Nick at Nite was very popular at that time.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatanabe View Post
Why not? Nick at Nite was very popular at that time.
I only like 1 show from the 50's and 1 from the 60's which are not on that 1989 schedule

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I used to Love the old Nick at Nite, like the OP mentioned. Sometimes I still play their funny promos on You Tube. I got rid of the dish long ago, it just wasn't worth it for the kind of stuff I like. I do like the old movies though and miss TCM. When TVLand began to change people used to complain on their forum, on and on. But it did no good, the old Nick and TVLand are just memories, dead and buried. I hear MeTV has a lot of the old shows on it. Living where I do, even if I had a TV now I doubt I could pick it up without a dish. I have lots of old shows on disks and Hulu and YT have quite an assortment as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 AM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
That line up brings back memories of my childhood. I wish they still had those shows on now as I don't know where to find them other than partial episodes on youtube.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM

49 posts, read 235,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
That line up brings back memories of my childhood. I wish they still had those shows on now as I don't know where to find them other than partial episodes on youtube.
MeTV has some of them, although the ads during the shows are low budget and like infomercials.

I will PM you a website that sells these shows recorded by fans that have all the episodes if you want to buy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV