Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I happened to turn on the tv about when the Midwife show was ending tonight. I was going to make more coffee (house is cold, not blowing out the heater etc for a few days of a cold snap) and after it started making the first new season show came on. Got a cup before it started and after. Just didn't want to miss any.

Compared to the last season this is the origional. The way their fears are portrayed, and the slow, mercucialy crawl to war the head of 165 Eaton Place believes will come is so perfectly portrayed. I'm hoping this is more episodes than the last. They have clearly and fully hit their stride. I don't like hiding spoilers so will add more later, but I'm already looking forward to next week.

I'd put the three episodes last year as a preamble which is really just the introduction. If you haven't seen them, watch them as just that.

The writing is absolutely awesome, and the hints of what's to come, and the common themes are there but not stuck in with a post it note. The acting is absolutely top notch. This season I'm sure they'll get another nomination.
You know, I agree with the above post that you wrote and the one before. Perhaps because I had low expectations about season 2 because of the negative press and the lack of Eileen Atkins and Jean Marsh, but I really enjoyed this first episode.

I do have most of the episodes of the original Upstairs Downstairs on VHS with the Alistair Cooke introductions. His explanations both before and after the broadcast were great enhancements. When Upstairs Downstairs was released on VHS and I think DVD, they included a few episodes that were never broadcast in the US. It is unfortunate that none of the commercial recordings on any format include Alistair Cooke. After Upstairs Downstairs, my favorite drama is Poldark, which I also have on VHS. Unfortunately, the commercial release of Poldark chops up the episodes and chunks are missing. I can see the difference from the ones that I taped from the TV. I understand that the DVDs did not restore the missing sections. And after Poldark, my next favorite is I Claudius, which is the ultimate soap opera. making Dallas look very tame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You know, I agree with the above post that you wrote and the one before. Perhaps because I had low expectations about season 2 because of the negative press and the lack of Eileen Atkins and Jean Marsh, but I really enjoyed this first episode.

I do have most of the episodes of the original Upstairs Downstairs on VHS with the Alistair Cooke introductions. His explanations both before and after the broadcast were great enhancements. When Upstairs Downstairs was released on VHS and I think DVD, they included a few episodes that were never broadcast in the US. It is unfortunate that none of the commercial recordings on any format include Alistair Cooke. After Upstairs Downstairs, my favorite drama is Poldark, which I also have on VHS. Unfortunately, the commercial release of Poldark chops up the episodes and chunks are missing. I can see the difference from the ones that I taped from the TV. I understand that the DVDs did not restore the missing sections. And after Poldark, my next favorite is I Claudius, which is the ultimate soap opera. making Dallas look very tame.
Not mentioning what, but given the time period the opening event is so symbollic and shocking. I'm wondering if at some point it will connect. I would love Alistair Cooke introducing, with the time period being what it is. Did you see his series on American history? It was wonderful, and subtly different than the usual version. I remember when he spoke of the western trails he talked about how many were abandoned. How the older people who couldn't keep up would be left with some food because they had to get over the hills before winter or they all could die. Something you don't see in 'our' versions. It was neither glorification or condenmation which is why it was such a good series.

I know they will never replace him, but please, have someone who can do more than smile and supply a sentence...

I've seen the videos of Poldark on netflix, and used to have copies off the broadcasts, but they didn't seem quite right and now I know why. I'd still buy them if I could afford it, of course. The books are really really good to. I really wish the dvd's were not so expensive. I still want all of Upstairs Downstairs in my dvd player...

I just wish OUR creative minds would figure out how the Brits seem to make such high quality series without having to flash sex every five minutes. So few or the network 'dramas' ever have produced any characters so real and complex and fleshed out.

I'm going to watch Downton Abby and catch up next. I find mostly I watch old tv shows, and a few fantasy oriented one and pbs...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Spoiler
I could not agree more. The original Upstairs Downstairs is my favorite TV program of all time, ever. I have all the episodes on VHS and one of these days, I will bite the bullet and get them on DVD. I just don't want to spend a fortune on a format, only for it to be replaced with something else within a few years fime. I've seen every episode several times.

I watched the new version of Upstairs Downstairs when it was first aired in the US. It was ok, good, but not great. I thought the pacing was off but I had read that's because there were so few episodes, a lot of material had to be squeezed in. It was good enough to be nominated for an Emmy, which I thought was at least, that was encouraging. But I didn't bother watching the repeat in the marathon format this past Sunday.
I am thankful that at last, PBS is airing the second season of it. I've been trying to get a hold of it for the past couple of years and was wondering if PBS decided not to ever air it since it performed very poorly in the UK. It is not supposed to be very good so I have low expectations. Still, I would like to see the next part of the plot. Sadly, I believe that season 2 leaves the audience hanging since it was canceled and there is no "finale."
Be sure to watch all five episodes; you won't be disappointed. And the end doesn't leave the audience hanging with 'no finale' as much as it reaches a very obvious point to rest.

As Alistair Cooke explained to us so many years ago, after WWI the Up/Down life started to deteriorate and WWII changes the order of things. Though I think it would be fun to see a continuation of Up/Down with Cold War intrigue and espionage at Eaton Place, but I guess that would be a different series.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Brilliant line from the Aunt to Lady Agnes about revealing the love affair in The Golden Blaze...

'I think you might have been debutantes the same year.'

Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Spoiler
I loved that the one woman has had enough, and called in help. Just think of what Hudson would have said back in 1905 if someone had come telling them how to treat their servants.

I'm very much enjoying this, and really hate that there are so few episodes left.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Be sure to watch all five episodes; you won't be disappointed. And the end doesn't leave the audience hanging with 'no finale' as much as it reaches a very obvious point to rest.

As Alistair Cooke explained to us so many years ago, after WWI the Up/Down life started to deteriorate and WWII changes the order of things. Though I think it would be fun to see a continuation of Up/Down with Cold War intrigue and espionage at Eaton Place, but I guess that would be a different series.
Given the preview and word that there is a leak in the Foreign Office, I see bad tidings possible for 165 Eaton Place...

I loved the comments by some of the upstairs crowd complaining that servants were taking their problems to the Girls Friendly Society. Once you don't have an endless labor pool and they are easilty replacable...

When I was in Elementary School, I went to an Espiscopal private school for three and some years. We had a Maypole, and we learned how to wrap it. We also had a school club called the Girls Friendly Society. I'm wondering if they were related.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Given the preview and word that there is a leak in the Foreign Office, I see bad tidings possible for 165 Eaton Place...
Spoiler

I loved the comments by some of the upstairs crowd complaining that servants were taking their problems to the Girls Friendly Society. Once you don't have an endless labor pool and they are easilty replacable...

When I was in Elementary School, I went to an Espiscopal private school for three and some years. We had a Maypole, and we learned how to wrap it. We also had a school club called the Girls Friendly Society. I'm wondering if they were related.
I missed this weeks viewing but think it was episode 4. If so, you really don't want to miss Episode 5. Leaks, bad tidings and all.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post

Yes, a very large bolder in the road. Its haunting that last scene, knowing what happened to London. And after the war everything changed. There is a finality about the end, with the sense that there are many things which not even time will fix.

But this and the preceding three are fascinating as the british people descend into siege from a human point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV