U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:36 PM

14,389 posts, read 16,512,257 times

Advertisements

I was checking pbs and discovered at least here its showing on Masterpiece Classic tonight, three hours of it.

This is set during WW2. The first season was really good, and dealt with some things about Britan and its Nazi followers you don't see discussed too often in the history books.

Looking forward to tonight.

The BBC series about midwives is also starting tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:23 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,929,480 times
Is this the one that has aired before? All of the good ones are on tonight!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 AM

17,633 posts, read 16,824,863 times
It probably did air before but I know I never saw the last few episodes until last night.

It was like a marathon last night, episode after episode. I noticed the copyright date at the end and it was 2011 and it was the end of Season 1.

So when it ended the King had abdicated and the wife (Agnes?) had her baby and all was well. It was Christmas and the little orphan girl (her mother had died and she was a Jewish refugee from Germany who came to work in the house) was with the family.

Season 2 starts next week, I think they said October 7.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It probably did air before but I know I never saw the last few episodes until last night.

It was like a marathon last night, episode after episode. I noticed the copyright date at the end and it was 2011 and it was the end of Season 1.

So when it ended the King had abdicated and the wife (Agnes?) had her baby and all was well. It was Christmas and the little orphan girl (her mother had died and she was a Jewish refugee from Germany who came to work in the house) was with the family.

Season 2 starts next week, I think they said October 7.
Yes, this was on last year. This was the 'relaunch' of the series but since the DVR ate them before I'm glad to see them again. This gives quite a different view of the politics of the time. I never saw ANY of that in a history book but have heard it refenences elsewhere.

If only they'd reshow the origional series again, all seven seasons. sigh....

Old 10-01-2012, 05:40 PM

17,633 posts, read 16,824,863 times

You mean the REAL Upstairs Downstairs? Sigh. With Hudson the butler and Mrs Bridges the cook?
This continuation of the story is good but I don't think it can compare with that original series. I don't know what it is but they seem to just gloss over the parts I want to see and dwell on the more boring parts. For some reason the original was absolutely perfect, probably the best thing I've ever seen on tv. Sigh.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM

7,401 posts, read 7,857,833 times
Quote:

You mean the REAL Upstairs Downstairs? Sigh. With Hudson the butler and Mrs Bridges the cook?
This continuation of the story is good but I don't think it can compare with that original series. I don't know what it is but they seem to just gloss over the parts I want to see and dwell on the more boring parts. For some reason the original was absolutely perfect, probably the best thing I've ever seen on tv. Sigh.
I could not agree more. The original Upstairs Downstairs is my favorite TV program of all time, ever. I have all the episodes on VHS and one of these days, I will bite the bullet and get them on DVD. I just don't want to spend a fortune on a format, only for it to be replaced with something else within a few years fime. I've seen every episode several times.

I watched the new version of Upstairs Downstairs when it was first aired in the US. It was ok, good, but not great. I thought the pacing was off but I had read that's because there were so few episodes, a lot of material had to be squeezed in. It was good enough to be nominated for an Emmy, which I thought was at least, that was encouraging. But I didn't bother watching the repeat in the marathon format this past Sunday. I am thankful that at last, PBS is airing the second season of it. I've been trying to get a hold of it for the past couple of years and was wondering if PBS decided not to ever air it since it performed very poorly in the UK. It is not supposed to be very good so I have low expectations. Still, I would like to see the next part of the plot. Sadly, I believe that season 2 leaves the audience hanging since it was canceled and there is no "finale."

Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:

Once upon a time I had the whole series on vhs tapes I recorded, even the black and white episodes they showed. All that got lost in a move. I loved the show for the world it unfolded which wasn't ours. After the first world war all the social conventions were shaken apart. It was like the last hurrah of this society of birth and family which was slaughtered in the trenches in the war. In that time, you'd not see Paul McCartney standing next to the queen...

There was so much more social context to it then and when you move forward, the rules may be similar, but its not the same. I think that is the difference.

Just the same I welcome this series. It's like the other end of the bookshelf. The before and after.

And while they are at it, show Poldark again. Now that I could still watch over and over and over.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I could not agree more. The original Upstairs Downstairs is my favorite TV program of all time, ever. I have all the episodes on VHS and one of these days, I will bite the bullet and get them on DVD. I just don't want to spend a fortune on a format, only for it to be replaced with something else within a few years fime. I've seen every episode several times.

I watched the new version of Upstairs Downstairs when it was first aired in the US. It was ok, good, but not great. I thought the pacing was off but I had read that's because there were so few episodes, a lot of material had to be squeezed in. It was good enough to be nominated for an Emmy, which I thought was at least, that was encouraging. But I didn't bother watching the repeat in the marathon format this past Sunday. I am thankful that at last, PBS is airing the second season of it. I've been trying to get a hold of it for the past couple of years and was wondering if PBS decided not to ever air it since it performed very poorly in the UK. It is not supposed to be very good so I have low expectations. Still, I would like to see the next part of the plot. Sadly, I believe that season 2 leaves the audience hanging since it was canceled and there is no "finale."
I happened to turn on the tv about when the Midwife show was ending tonight. I was going to make more coffee (house is cold, not blowing out the heater etc for a few days of a cold snap) and after it started making the first new season show came on. Got a cup before it started and after. Just didn't want to miss any.

Compared to the last season this is the origional. The way their fears are portrayed, and the slow, mercucialy crawl to war the head of 165 Eaton Place believes will come is so perfectly portrayed. I'm hoping this is more episodes than the last. They have clearly and fully hit their stride. I don't like hiding spoilers so will add more later, but I'm already looking forward to next week.

I'd put the three episodes last year as a preamble which is really just the introduction. If you haven't seen them, watch them as just that.

The writing is absolutely awesome, and the hints of what's to come, and the common themes are there but not stuck in with a post it note. The acting is absolutely top notch. This season I'm sure they'll get another nomination.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,921,995 times
The first Season 2 episode will be broadcast on Sunday 14th October at 9pm

I just watched the 3 episodes that comprised Season 1 and really enjoyed them! Looking forward to seeing Season 2.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,921,995 times
Further to my previous post I also saw that it looks as if the first episode of Season 2 is being shown at 3am Sunday morning - not sure why that is but it might be worth double checking the schedule in your areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or