Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 01:01 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,314,145 times

Advertisements

I agree with you on that one Ovcatto. There are many good singers out there but terrible, terrible songs. The whole "modern r'n'b" trend seems to attract most new talents but the music is just terrible and forgettable. Just samples of older tunes and silly lyrics. This is one of the reasons why Adele is so popular, she as the voice of course but much better songs overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,308,222 times
You give me Shirley Bassey and I will listen any day of the week. I like Englebert Humperdinck. Artistry, power, range, tone, projection, pitch. and so on. So many more artists that I would prefer to the current offerings. And maybe why I like Adele is that her songs display her artistry.

So I think I am with you on this

[quote=ovcatto;29507433]This sort of address a multitude of AI issues include Mrs. Cannon's video...

When I was looking for performances of "Somewhere" from the 1957 original recording to compare Candice's performance to, and after Mirah's dreadful video it came to me why Idol seems so dated. Popular music today, particularly for female artist, provides very few vehicles that actually showcase the tremendous vocal talents that these young women possess.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:09 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,795,489 times
It is ironic that Pop Idol, the British show that spawned Idols all over the world, only lasted from 2001 to 2003. I think "AI" has outlived its usefulness, but is it "too big to fail"?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
It is ironic that Pop Idol, the British show that spawned Idols all over the world, only lasted from 2001 to 2003. I think "AI" has outlived its usefulness, but is it "too big to fail"?
I think if they totally revamp it in the right way it has some life left. The Voice seems to be taking off, so obviously there is an audience for this. As bad as it is, I still watch it, what does that tell you? Biggest thing to fix are the judge panel and song choices/themes. Curious what they come up with.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,013 times
Mariah has really been a letdown as a judge. She puts on airs and acts like she is royalty. I don't understand why some celebrities are so fake. Also, I laughed at her video until I thought I would fall off the couch. It was silly and failed to impress either in its musicality or beauty. It just showed an aging diva trying to compete in today's oversexed market. I believe she is talented enough to just sing and let that be enough. I will not miss her next year.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,250,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think if they totally revamp it in the right way it has some life left. The Voice seems to be taking off, so obviously there is an audience for this. As bad as it is, I still watch it, what does that tell you? Biggest thing to fix are the judge panel and song choices/themes. Curious what they come up with.
I hope AI does reinvent itself because I'm not a fan of "The Voice". The few times I've watched I found the judges more into themselves and less about the contestants than AI.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,023,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I hope AI does reinvent itself because I'm not a fan of "The Voice". The few times I've watched I found the judges more into themselves and less about the contestants than AI.
The Voice doesn't have judges.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:32 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,822,794 times
Thumbs up Nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Mariah has really been a letdown as a judge. She puts on airs and acts like she is royalty. I don't understand why some celebrities are so fake. Also, I laughed at her video until I thought I would fall off the couch. It was silly and failed to impress either in its musicality or beauty. It just showed an aging diva trying to compete in today's oversexed market. I believe she is talented enough to just sing and let that be enough. I will not miss her next year.
Boy did you nail it. I was embarrassed for her when I saw that video. The music was horrible, she barely sang and was trying to be a sex kitten which was not flattering at all. I am old enough (early 50s) to have seen her entire career when she was a young girl with incredible range and talent and to see that display was a travesty. Not to mention her judging has been nonsensical. She was paid I believe 18 million dollars this season and the way she preens into the camera only wanting to reveal her "good" side, really oh my! American Idol you need a refund! The only good judge this year in my opinion was Keith and even he was losing credibility in the end with some of his comments pushing Amber and Angie. Remember the week when the "skinny girls" could do no wrong and the "heavy girls" could do nothing right. That week he lost a few points in my book. But overall he was heads and shoulders better than the rest.

It will be interesting to see what happens without Nigel. Looking forward to next year and finally putting those old tired theme nights in the graveyard!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,822,794 times
Question And the winner is????

Will it be the favorite Candice?

Or will it be the upset of the decade Kree?

I like them both and think they both have the potential to make it big.

Kree was so shocked that she did not go home on Wednesday night. And Angie was even more shocked that she did go home.

I can't help but think that Candice will have another killer night/performance and take the crown. But it could be that the Kree fans unite behind her and give her the victory?

The judges could make some stupid comments, make fans mad and that can make all the difference.

I do think the Kree story followed by giving her horrible songs to sing, making her sing "Better Dig Two" Really...just after telling us that she had to bury two parents, how is that for HORRIBLE song choice, rallied her fans to vote for her, so we will see.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Will it be the favorite Candice?

Or will it be the upset of the decade Kree?

I like them both and think they both have the potential to make it big.

Kree was so shocked that she did not go home on Wednesday night. And Angie was even more shocked that she did go home.

I can't help but think that Candice will have another killer night/performance and take the crown. But it could be that the Kree fans unite behind her and give her the victory?

The judges could make some stupid comments, make fans mad and that can make all the difference.

I do think the Kree story followed by giving her horrible songs to sing, making her sing "Better Dig Two" Really...just after telling us that she had to bury two parents, how is that for HORRIBLE song choice, rallied her fans to vote for her, so we will see.
What I am happy about is that these two were my favorites from the beginning - for me, best voices, sweet and humble, hardworking, deserving artists. LOL Kree was sooo shocked she got into the finale - she said she had bought suitcases because she was SURE she was going home! On the other hand, I read that Angie was shocked she DIDN'T make it - she said "not gonna lie, I was shocked I didn't make it." Ego much?

Anyhow, at this point I will be thrilled whoever officially wins, because we all know they both essentially win the same prize, a recording contract and a new Ford! I read that Kree won the coin toss, and has decided to sing first! I'm not sure exactly why I think this, but I kind of have the feeling that Kree would actually love to see Candice win the title. Just a hunch.

So happy for both of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV