Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,406 times

Advertisements

I could see recasting the part, but it might not have gone over well with viewers since they knew Davis was dead and didn't just leave the show on his own terms. Several years later, Barabara Bel Gedes left (I think she was ill) and someone else (Donna Reed?) played the part for a year until she returned. Another twist is that Larry Hagman had a contract dispute the season after J.R. was shot and they threatened to fire him. They were going to have J.R.'s ambulance wreck on the way to the hospital, causing major injuries and he was going to come out looking like Robert Culp, though that whole story may have been just a publicity stunt.

Another vanishing character was on Good Times. Esther Rolle had complained the J.J. character promoted negative stereotypes of black youhts. so she put her principles ahead of money and left the show. They explained her leaving by having Florida remarry and move to Arizona. A year later, she put money ahead of her principles and returned to the show. But the new husband did not come back and no explanation was given for his not being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
On the Andy Griffith show, the telephone operator, Sarah, was never seen, and we never saw one of Barney's love interests, Juanita.
Did Wally, from Wally's garage, ever make an appearance?

Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Did Wally, from Wally's garage, ever make an appearance?
He was in the episode where the businessman's car rboke down and had to spend the day in Mayberry and was frustrated by the slow pace of the town. Wally said he would not fix his car on a Sunday.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Not a person but a pussycat. On the "Our Miss Brooks" show of the 50's, Connie Brook's elderly landlady, Mrs. Davis, had a cat named Minerva. We heard Minerva's meows but we never saw her. Everytime Minerva meowed Mrs. Davis would say in her old lady voice. "Oh, Min-er-va!" My sister and I used to go around the house imitating her.

I loved the name and vowed that when I grew up (I watched the show as a kid) I would get a cat and name it Minerva. And so I did. And that is also where my user name comes from. The extra "h" is because I needed eight letters and Minerva only has seven. It's the first letter of my real last name. I still love the name Minerva. It is the greek goddess of the arts.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
I earlier had mentioned the unexplained evaporation of the "Seven" character on "Married With Children" and since then it came to my mind that they did stick in a little parody on the situation. A couple of seasons after Seven had been banished, there was a scene of the Bundys at the breakfast table and the camera pans by a milk carton. On the carton is the word "Missing" and underneath that was a picture of Seven. The Bundys took no notice of this.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
How could we all have overlooked Bob Sacamano, Kramer's all purpose scheme friend on "Seinfeld?"

And how about Ugly Naked Guy on "Friends?" There was one episode where we saw him from the back when Ross went over to see about getting his apartment after he moved out, otherwise he was always oogled by the Friends, but never the audience.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
He was in the episode where the businessman's car rboke down and had to spend the day in Mayberry and was frustrated by the slow pace of the town. Wally said he would not fix his car on a Sunday.
Ok. I remember that it seemed to always be Gomer or Goober there when someone needed anything.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM

According to imdb, Wally was in five episodes played by four different actors. He was also in the 1986 reunion movie, played by yet another actor.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
There's Mary Alice, the voice-over (ghost) on Desperate Housewives. Except that they did show her once before she died.
They showed her a few times a season in flash backs.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Did we ever see Kenny's brother from the Cosby show?

I also don't remember ever seeing Karens husband on will & grace.

Oh did we ever see any of Kimmy Gibblers parents from Full House? They lived next door and she was always talking about them but I don't they made an appearance.

Oh and Dr. Claw...never saw him.

OH! And Ms. Jenkins from the Living Color skit...nobody bet not talk about Ms. Jenkins

Last edited by nat_at772; 11-12-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV