U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 PM

12,212 posts, read 6,370,280 times

Advertisements

Alaska: The Last Frontier: Meet the Kilcher Family : Video : Discovery Channel

This is a great show, anyone else enjoying it as much as I am? It is not another "reality" show that focuses on conflicts between people, in fact, this one is the opposite, it is about the Kilcher family, a family that began in late 1930's or early 40's, when the patriarch moved there from Switzerland to lead a subsistence lifestyle (and had 8 children), and the show focuses on Atz (my favorite character) and his son Atz Lee (and wife) and Atz's brother Otto (along with his son Eiven and his wife Eve), and Otto can fix anything and build anything. Everyday revolves around farming, fishing, hunting, repairing cabins, preparing for winter, helping out neighbors, hunting predators like bears and wolves, and other aspects of homesteading.

Also, just found out the theme song is sung by Atz himself, here it is:

Atz, Jewel are father-daughter duo on Alaska: The Last Frontier theme song | HULIQ
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:01 PM

289 posts, read 266,875 times
Yep, we found this show too, and have enjoyed watching. Amazed at what they can do to make a living off the land in this day and age, and now the next generation is showing what they have learned.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM

3,009 posts, read 2,909,898 times
Yep this is a good show about current day frontier life. Pretty well done.

I'm always thinking how rough that must be while watching and how they accomplish so much with so little... right up until they show up with a spare river boat/barge.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 PM

4,153 posts, read 5,999,320 times
I was shocked at how pretty the one girl is. I bet they make alot of babies during the winter soon.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM

587 posts, read 470,072 times
I enjoy the show but it contains staged scenes like all the other reality shows. Otto wasting all that time trying to blow up the stump for example. All the constant narration about how they won't survive the winter unless they catch x pounds of fish or meat is overblown. I read an article which said their homestead is just outside Homer so they could drive into the city and go to the grocery store.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:56 AM

16,487 posts, read 11,977,359 times
Yes, I started watching this show last season and I love it. I think it is easy to imagine yourself living off the land and being in such a remote and beautiful place. This show gives us a reality check as to what is involved to live off the land. These people hardly get a moment to relax and enjoy life, their job is surviving.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,366,276 times
I haven't seen that but will definitely look for it now!

We're also enjoying "Buying Alaska"...interesting to see the people who are looking for a new life, why they have chosen to go there. The homes and lifestyles are in many ways similar to 'lower 48' but also very different in ways you don't think of....having to have your water hauled in every couple of weeks..... all the personal greenhouses to make it possible to afford fresh produce.....the 8-ft. moose fences around your property....and the fact that on the west coast there are places that seldom get below 30-40 degrees (that's warmer than it is in Texas in the winter!).

Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 PM

4,045 posts, read 5,433,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
I enjoy the show but it contains staged scenes like all the other reality shows. Otto wasting all that time trying to blow up the stump for example. All the constant narration about how they won't survive the winter unless they catch x pounds of fish or meat is overblown. I read an article which said their homestead is just outside Homer so they could drive into the city and go to the grocery store.
Sure, they could drive to the grocery store, but our Alaskan grocery prices are nuts-a lot of people supplement to survive. It's really pricy to heat our homes too,

Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM

587 posts, read 470,072 times
I understand the Kilcher clan is trying to continue the subsistence lifestyle of their grandfather, but all the narration about they will die if Azt Lee doesn't catch 40 pounds of fish is all hype.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:52 PM

12,212 posts, read 6,370,280 times
I guess Otto makes his money from selling beef. I know all those 4 wheelers, boats, tractors, etc. take fuel to run, and I'm guessing gas is very expensive in that part of the country. Not sure how much Discovery pays them, but I do wonder where these families get their money for things that they need in town, notably gasoline.

I'm sure the Kilcher family finds much of the show overblown as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV