Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 12:16 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The thing that struck me most in last week's episode was Mr. and Mrs. Carson going along with the scheme to continue calling her Mrs. Hughes, all for the convenience of the Crawleys. Mrs. Carson didn't look too happy about it, either. But, boy, did the Crawleys look relieved that they didn't have to tax their brains any more than absolutely necessary.

All that is true, but it doesn't relate to Downton Abbey because Downton Abbey is on ITV, not BBC. ITV is a commercial network, and does indeed sell ad time. Even during Downton Abbey.

Last week's episode of Downton Abbey was 47 minutes long, complete with ad bumpers. I don't see the ads on the online service I watch, but I do see the ad bumpers.

I can't find the link, but I remember reading something from some PBS exec who said short pieces of the show will be nipped for PBS broadcast if the network thinks there are references U.S. audiences wouldn't understand.

Even PBS is dumbing down. *sigh*

Poor Barrow. He's heard from the master of the house that his days are numbered, and he still won't clean up his act. It was great to see how everyone around the table ruined his fun when he revealed Gwen's secret and they didn't give him the outrage he was hoping for.
Closest can find is this: Frequently Asked Questions | Masterpiece | PBS

Are MASTERPIECE programs edited for broadcast?

All of our programs originate in the UK and are produced to fit UK television standard slot lengths. Many are edited to fit our PBS time slot, which is different from those in the UK.
Editing to fit television's time slots is a fact of life for almost all programming.
When faced with the need to edit, we take it very seriously and approach our editing decisions with great care. Almost always, it is the UK producers who determine and edit the scenes to be trimmed from the U.S. broadcast. Our goal is to deliver to you the film that is closest to the original intent of the producers.

And then this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...t-adverts.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
I enjoyed the "Exploding Duke" sequence, but Edith turning from an Ugly Duckling Sister into a very attractive and sexy business woman was a much greater event.

I hope they get all that Class nonsense and Hospital politics out of the way and concentrate on the New Edith.

A couple of naked sex scenes would be nice.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:50 AM

620 posts, read 638,651 times
I was NOT expecting that last night. In fact, I spent much of the episode thinking "Gawd, this is a a really boring episode. I mean nothing interesting is happening. How long are we going to be subjected to this tedious hospital debate? I mean really, this is soooo boring and I don't think I can take much m... OHMIGOD WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?!?!?!?!"

I literally clapped my hands over my mouth and screamed. LOL

Old 10-19-2015, 11:03 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
I was NOT expecting that last night. In fact, I spent much of the episode thinking "Gawd, this is a a really boring episode. I mean nothing interesting is happening. How long are we going to be subjected to this tedious hospital debate? I mean really, this is soooo boring and I don't think I can take much m... OHMIGOD WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?!?!?!?!"

I'm sorry what happened ? guess I missed something

Old 10-19-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm sorry what happened ? guess I missed something
Did you watch last night's epi?

Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
I thought something like that was going to happen with all of the hints the past few episodes, still it seemed pretty spectacular.

I love the thought of Neville Chamberlain was naughty in his youth!

How could they have a automobile racing love interest with Matthew dying in a wreck?

Old 10-19-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
How could they have a automobile racing love interest with Matthew dying in a wreck?
I had the exact same thought! You would think that even if Mary were interested, Mary would object to the danger involved in his pasttime.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:53 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Wow. I mean, you saw it coming, but ... poor Robert! That was a graphic scene, and at dinner, too.

Is Mary going to make a fuss about Marigold, or is she going to relax and be a 20th Century girl and be a good auntie? She won't have the support of the rest of the family if she decides to be all disapproving. Or maybe she'll just be ticked because she was the last to know. Sometimes the stick up her butt seems a little less pinchy.

I just love Spratt and Denker. They are a panic!

Anyone else seeing a hint of smitten-ness between Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason? I love the idea of them forming a family with Daisy and maybe even Andy.

And Thomas was good to offer to help Andy learn to read. It seems every other episode Mr. Barrow acts like a human being, and then in the next episode he spoils it. And so on.

Loved it when Chamberlain said he wasn't sure he liked a good fight. Heh.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:18 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow. I mean, you saw it coming, but ... poor Robert! That was a graphic scene, and at dinner, too.

Is Mary going to make a fuss about Marigold, or is she going to relax and be a 20th Century girl and be a good auntie? She won't have the support of the rest of the family if she decides to be all disapproving. Or maybe she'll just be ticked because she was the last to know. Sometimes the stick up her butt seems a little less pinchy.

I just love Spratt and Denker. They are a panic!

Anyone else seeing a hint of smitten-ness between Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason? I love the idea of them forming a family with Daisy and maybe even Andy.

And Thomas was good to offer to help Andy learn to read. It seems every other episode Mr. Barrow acts like a human being, and then in the next episode he spoils it. And so on.

Loved it when Chamberlain said he wasn't sure he liked a good fight. Heh.
Only reason have been following this last season is to see what if anything Lady Mary does when she gets wind of Edith's love child. "Relax and be a good auntie"? *LOL* clearly that doesn't fit within Frosty's makeup as far as Edith is concerned. Any woman who quips "A monkey will type out the Bible if you leave it long enough" about her sister is hardly going to take this bit of news in good stride.

Lady Mary has likely never forgotten nor forgave Edith for her letter writing during the Pamuk Affair. Nor being called a "****" by same. Frosty has been waiting years to get back at Pale Face and this bit of news is like a gift from the gods. *LOL*

Old 10-19-2015, 06:52 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post

Same here. Only I was watching at work. I got a few curious stares...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV