Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I really don't care what Sonia is. I don't like her but even more than that, I can't believe anyone would hire her for a job that deals with the public and that takes me right out of the story.

Does Monk's boss (Ted Levine) always have to work with this issue?
Ha, I thought the same thing. She doesn't seem to have the whole obsession about germs, though. I don't know about this show, some of the writing is not great.

There had to have been a better way to bring in the whole rancher story without a coincidental heart attack on the night of The Killing on The Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I just wanted to follow up on my own post. After staying up late to watch it the next day when it was re-run on FX (good thing I didn't record it. Who knew it was 1.5 hours?) and complaining to Comcast and FX, the next day Xfinity On Demand added the regular version of the show to the HD version.

I think the female is Temperance Brennan (Bones) from the early years on speed. I don't like her. She should stay away from people and never be allowed to question husbands, fathers or mothers of the deceased. That wasn't funny. It was painful. But, I like the show, the male detective, Annabeth Gish from The X-Files and Ted Levine (Monk's old boss).

I don't know if it's just because it's the pilot we saw but that show has the shortest intro I've ever seen or heard.
The female is Diane Kruger...Helen of Troy anyone? Or from National Treasure? Anyway, I think she's doing a complete 180 from her other roles and I'm loving that about her. A lot of folks on here are ripping her to shreads because they think she should act one way or the other...I think it's pretty original to have her acting just as she is. Are we really going down the road of what's reality on this clearly stated DRAMA? Sure I like continuity and accuracy, but I allow for a LOT of entertainment and I believe this show is very entertaining.

Also, Annabeth Gish was not on X-Files...that was Gillian Anderson. It's nice to see Ted Levine in another role after Monk but I'll always think of "it's puts the lotion on the skin".

Anyway, I think this show has lots of potential and I'm thoroughly enjoying it...jmo...

Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
The female is Diane Kruger...Helen of Troy anyone? Or from National Treasure? Anyway, I think she's doing a complete 180 from her other roles and I'm loving that about her. A lot of folks on here are ripping her to shreads because they think she should act one way or the other...I think it's pretty original to have her acting just as she is. Are we really going down the road of what's reality on this clearly stated DRAMA? Sure I like continuity and accuracy, but I allow for a LOT of entertainment and I believe this show is very entertaining.

Also, Annabeth Gish was not on X-Files...that was Gillian Anderson. It's nice to see Ted Levine in another role after Monk but I'll always think of "it's puts the lotion on the skin".

Anyway, I think this show has lots of potential and I'm thoroughly enjoying it...jmo...
I agree. Some aspects of the show may not be entirely realistic, but I'm enjoying it. There are certain things she shouldn't be doing, like talking to victim's families, but she could still be a very good detective, her demeanor may actually come in handy with some suspects. I find her character rather interesting, I'd like to learn more about her background, and her relationship with the boss. I understand the comparison to Brennen, the character on Bones, who may also have mild Aspergers. The whole Aspergers thing has been overdone lately, but it's often used for humor, that gets very annoying. This feels more realistic, I like that we are seeing the difficulties also.

Annabeth Gish was also a lead on the X-files in the last couple seasons.

It's hard not to think of "it puts the lotion on it's skin," lol, but I'm always glad to see him in a new role.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I agree. Some aspects of the show may not be entirely realistic, but I'm enjoying it. There are certain things she shouldn't be doing, like talking to victim's families, but she could still be a very good detective, her demeanor may actually come in handy with some suspects. I find her character rather interesting, I'd like to learn more about her background, and her relationship with the boss. I understand the comparison to Brennen, the character on Bones, who may also have mild Aspergers. The whole Aspergers thing has been overdone lately, but it's often used for humor, that gets very annoying. This feels more realistic, I like that we are seeing the difficulties also.

Annabeth Gish was also a lead on the X-files in the last couple seasons.

It's hard not to think of "it puts the lotion on it's skin," lol, but I'm always glad to see him in a new role.
I didn't know that about Annabeth...didn't follow the X-Files strictly but enjoyed it when I watched it. Had no idea she was in it.

The reason I like Diane Kruger's character so much is for the fact that she doesn't seem to adhere to a "type". She might have Asperger's...I wouldn't have any idea as I've never met anyone and even if I had, there could be dozens of more traits that I might miss because that person might only have a few. With that said, I absolutely love it when a character (think Gregory House) says what he thinks. It's not always pretty but it's usually direct.

Many people are griping that she would never be allowed to say the things she already has, but I contend, HOW WOULD YOU KNOW? Seriously, if she had a mentor like Ted Levine's character, who helped shape her and be her guide, she might make it pretty far. I think this because the very thing we see as awkward will be the thing that makes her brilliant at solving her case. At least, I think this may be where it's going. Also, who knows what it's like being an El Paso Police detective...it's a whole other world in El Paso. I just think we get so caught up in what we think we know, that we then overlook what will entertain us. It's good to have "some" critiques, but not to the point of being a negative nancy. Just turn the channel if it bothers you that much is what I say.

And yea, I like Ted Levine. This character reminds me a little bit of his character in the movie Switchback. I know when he's in a show or movie, I'm usually going to like that show. He lends a certain charisma.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Clearly, Kruger's character is adhering to the whole "detective is brilliant but eccentric/borderline mentally unstable" trope. I don't have a problem accepting this show as fiction but I don't think one can argue that she has poor judgement skills.

Meeting Boscarelli in a bar and having sex with him several minutes later? That's bad judgement. Allowing a stranger to sleep in her house where she has an unsecured firearm? That goes past poor judgement into negiligence.

She may be aces with deductive reasoning (though that hasn't been shown yet), but her actions are dangerous.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,275 times
Good grief...we're judging a fictional character for picking up a guy in a bar now? It's a crime drama. Not a documentary or a morality lesson. It's funny that so many of the male leads on tv are sociopaths and/or antiheroes, and people just accept it without wringing their hands. Walter White, Dexter, Tony Soprano, Hannibal, and the list goes on. Heaven forbid we ever get to have female characters that are flawed in some way. If Sonia's personality is that bothersome, maybe this isn't the show for you.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Good grief...we're judging a fictional character for picking up a guy in a bar now? It's a crime drama. Not a documentary or a morality lesson. It's funny that so many of the male leads on tv are sociopaths and/or antiheroes, and people just accept it without wringing their hands. Walter White, Dexter, Tony Soprano, Hannibal, and the list goes on. Heaven forbid we ever get to have female characters that are flawed in some way. If Sonia's personality is that bothersome, maybe this isn't the show for you.
Brava!!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
This has nothing to do with morality. She could sleep with all of El Paso, man, woman and child and it wouldn't bother me. It most certainly has nothing to do with her being a woman, the Mexican cop is guilty of the same bad judgement.

I'm also more than willing to accept dramatic license but there is a line and I think the writing on this show is crossing it.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
This has nothing to do with morality. She could sleep with all of El Paso, man, woman and child and it wouldn't bother me. It most certainly has nothing to do with her being a woman, the Mexican cop is guilty of the same bad judgement.

I'm also more than willing to accept dramatic license but there is a line and I think the writing on this show is crossing it.
How?

Is it that you think cops should be the standard for morality? Do you really think they don't have any dangerous behavior lurking around? I'm really curious why you think this show crosses a line. Which line? Whose line? I'm really curious...not trying to be dense with your comment, but it's a fictional drama. At what point do you actually stop with all the critiques and enjoy the show?

I used to have a friend who shreaded EVERY freaking show because "that wasn't possible" or "that looked fake" or "that would never happen in real life". I always scratched my head with him...he was impossible to watch a show with. I don't let writers off the hook all the time and I do notice when the continuity is off but I really try to just enjoy the show for all it's aspects. I wonder what's going on with The Bridge that has so many folks twisted. Please tell...

Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

Ted Levine was also in "The Hill's Have Eyes" ...

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - IMDb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV