Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 04:42 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Martha wants a kid now and does anyone else think she should have asked about kids before she married him ? wow just wow .
I think Martha has many problems. She is happy with a husband who is never home, who asks her to collect Classified documents, and only has rough angry sex with her (which she mistakes for passion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I think Martha might be a double agent with Gaad …

Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I hate to say it, but I think Elizabeth is 'damaged' in a way that Phillip is not. While they both show the strain of living this double life, I think that Phillip handles things in a more believable way. Elizabeth acts more like a deeply emotionally scarred individual, idealistic without wavering, and more detached from her emotions.
I agree with this, and I think that is why they had the scene in the car where she revealed to Phillip another painful part of her childhood struggle which is in contrast with Paige's easier American life. Elizabeth appeared almost resentful that Paige has it so easy.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I agree with this, and I think that is why they had the scene in the car where she revealed to Phillip another painful part of her childhood struggle which is in contrast with Paige's easier American life. Elizabeth appeared almost resentful that Paige has it so easy.
Thanks for pointing that out. You and Paco have made some interesting points.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Elizabeth is still very Soviet in her thinking. She pretends to enjoy the trappings of American life, but she is still a Soviet through and through. I think Phillip struggles with his Soviet background.

Elizabeth can't relate to Paige and Paige can't help who she is. She is an American. Maybe the show title refers to the second generation illegals.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
Philip wouldn't have a problem living as an American. Elizabeth would. I think that Philip also sees himself as a parent. I don't think that Elizabeth does - or she struggles being one.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:25 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,927 times
I also agree that Elizabeth is very Soviet, and much more so than Philip. Last season, I remember Elizabeth not being happy with Philip after he merely suggested living as real Americans.

When they agreed to work for the KGB, I wonder if either one was ever told that The Center reserved the right to recruit their offspring, if any. It seemed like they were both hearing it for the first time from Sylvia, yet they had previously promised each other to never let their kids into the life.

I think they will find a way to protect Paige, even if they have to orchestrate an incident that would guarantee she wouldn't get security clearance for a government job.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:36 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post

When they agreed to work for the KGB, I wonder if either one was ever told that The Center reserved the right to recruit their offspring, if any. It seemed like they were both hearing it for the first time from Sylvia, yet they had previously promised each other to never let their kids into the life.

I think they will find a way to protect Paige, even if they have to orchestrate an incident that would guarantee she wouldn't get security clearance for a government job.
Using the second generation spies was a new mandate passed on to Elizabeth and Phillip through Claudia. Claudia told them if she had known about the plan to use Jared she would have objected. I thought it strange she immediately did a complete turnaround insisting Paige be the next young spy. Why not object now? Not that it would do any good.

More clouds on the horizon for Elizabeth and Phillip next season as they disagree about using Paige.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Using the second generation spies was a new mandate passed on to Elizabeth and Phillip through Claudia. Claudia told them if she had known about the plan to use Jared she would have objected. I thought it strange she immediately did a complete turnaround insisting Paige be the next young spy. Why not object now? Not that it would do any good.

More clouds on the horizon for Elizabeth and Phillip next season as they disagree about using Paige.
Due to your reply, I just realized I called Claudia by the name of Sylvia in error. Thank you!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:58 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post

I thought that was a little fuzzy as well. It would seem that Claudia objected not so much to the mandate, but the fact that the center went around the parents and Kate sexually seduced the young boy to bring him in. They oversold the boy, and he murdered his parents in a rage when they maintained their objection to him going undercover. In the panic he killed his younger sister as well.

Even so, her insistence that the decision did not belong to Elizabeth and Phillip was ill-timed, at best. They just witnessed the tragedy a few days earlier, and now they were told that this was their obligation. One obvious point is that this obligation could have been pointed out when they began their mission and started having children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV