Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 10:25 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times

Advertisements

"the most arresting, vital drama on TV"
I binge watched Seasons 1-3 free on Amazon, and now S4 on FX - and couldn't agree more.

From the NYT (tonight):
Quote:
8. Our entertainment experts salute the flood of finales as the network TV season ends. One highlight: the last few episodes of the fourth season of “The Americans” (Wednesdays, 10 p.m., FX), “the most arresting, vital drama on TV.”

Watch This Show

“The Americans” has become the most arresting, vital drama on TV — fascinating and beautiful, and somehow getting better and better in its current fourth season. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys star as Elizabeth and Philip Jennings, the mother and father of a normal American family in 1983. Except that they’re actually Soviet spies, and they wear various disguises and participate in long-term cons to gather intelligence.

The spycraft is interesting in its own right, but the show is much more about marriage and parenthood, and the impossibility of knowing who anyone really is. Episodes that weave in actual culture and pop culture tend to be especially resonant, and this week’s episode, “The Day After” — a reference to the TV movie about nuclear war — is particularly so. And as often as “The Americans” is shocking and as strong as the espionage plotting can be, what I appreciate most is the show’s refusal to engage in “twists.” What the show presents as true is true; many of the characters engage in profound, spirit-crushing deceit, but the audience never feels lied to. There’s no rewatching old episodes in a new light now that something has been revealed.

Here’s how to catch up: Seasons 1-3 are on Amazon Prime, and Season 4 is available to purchase individually on Amazon and iTunes, but is free on several cable OnDemand packages. Yes, you need to watch all of it, not only because it’s so terrific (it really is!) but also because the show is very methodical: Characters reappear after long stretches away, ideas germinate for several episodes and consequences are not always immediate.

“The Americans” can be very violent, and it occasionally includes torture, though it’s not gratuitous. Watch more than four episodes at a time and you’ll start feeling like a sad monster. Season 1 is good, but Season 2 is when things really launch. (Wednesdays, 10 p.m., FX)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/09/ar...civil-war.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
After almost 3 1/2 years since starting this thread, then never watching, I am going to watch it on my Netflix. I had cable and too many other shows to watch. Now no cable and I want to see what made me start this thread. I am glad to see people enjoyed this show. Well, I assume you do, after 52 pages.
The Americans is not on available on Netflix. Amazon Prime has S1-3 free. S4 $1.99/episode. Subscribed to Amazon Prime around Christmas - year-end special one weekend only @ $73 (iirc)); otherwise $99 (I think). Amazon Prime also has all seasons of Downton Abbey, Sopranos, Upstairs Downstairs.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-09-2016 at 11:04 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 11:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The Americans is not on available on Netflix. Amazon Prime has S1-3 free. S4 $1.99/episode. Subscribed to Amazon Prime around Christmas - year-end special one weekend only @ $73 (iirc)); otherwise $99 (I think). Amazon Prime also has all seasons of Downton Abbey, Sopranos, Upstairs Downstairs.
I was thinking about that after I posted. I was wondering if I saw it on Netflix or Hulu. It must have been Hulu. Rats. Thanks for letting me know, Ariadne.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:43 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
I know a lot of you hated Elizabeth before. I can't IMAGINE how you feel about her now!

Old 05-12-2016, 09:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I know a lot of you hated Elizabeth before. I can't IMAGINE how you feel about her now!
She is a spy who is doing her job.

I only saw it when it came on TV, but "The Day After" WAS pretty intense.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I don't have cable anymore. I had SLING for a while. Then I realized I could get DVR and playbacks with Playstation Vue ($30 a month) so I dropped Sling, (20$ a month) and now I have The Americans! ! All episodes are recorded automatically. I did it just for this program.

I highly recommend PSV if you can get it in your area. And no, I have no idea what a Playstation is. I just get it on my Amazon Fire TV and it's great.

I don't understand Elizabeth's last statement " I will really miss her." What did she mean???

Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I don't have cable anymore. I had SLING for a while. Then I realized I could get DVR and playbacks with Playstation Vue ($30 a month) so I dropped Sling, (20$ a month) and now I have The Americans! ! All episodes are recorded automatically. I did it just for this program.

I highly recommend PSV if you can get it in your area. And no, I have no idea what a Playstation is. I just get it on my Amazon Fire TV and it's great.

I don't understand Elizabeth's last statement " I will really miss her." What did she mean???
She will miss Peggy(?) - the Asian lady. She wouldn't exactly feel comfortable in their home anymore after taking off the husband's clothes and making him think that he slept with Elizabeth. The 2 women actually seemed to be good friends.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:21 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
She will miss Peggy(?) - the Asian lady. She wouldn't exactly feel comfortable in their home anymore after taking off the husband's clothes and making him think that he slept with Elizabeth. The 2 women actually seemed to be good friends.
I must have missed something over the last few episodes. What was Elizabeth looking for in their home and why did she do that to the husband? I'm confused! Any explanation would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I must have missed something over the last few episodes. What was Elizabeth looking for in their home and why did she do that to the husband? I'm confused! Any explanation would be helpful. Thanks!
It was never very clear but he had the key to something that Elizabeth was trying to get. When she babysat the kids, she searched the house for it. When she didn't find it, she had hoped that it would be in the husband's clothing which she took off after drugging him. I too was confused about this storyline.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:48 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
It was never very clear but he had the key to something that Elizabeth was trying to get. When she babysat the kids, she searched the house for it. When she didn't find it, she had hoped that it would be in the husband's clothing which she took off after drugging him. I too was confused about this storyline.
Drugging him to search his clothing is one thing, but to set it up for him wake up to her naked in bed shows a deeper intent. It's unlikely he would go home and confess to his wife, destroying the marriage and the friendship. It's almost like a blackmail thing, but she didn't take any pictures, so that further confuses the matter. I hope it becomes clearer in future episodes. It's comforting to know that others on this thread are equally at sea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV