Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 04:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times

Advertisements

Elizabeth is trying to get access code from YunHee's husband for one of their guys to get additional deadly bio-agents.
Since she couldn't find anything in his home, she's resorting to blackmailing the husband (gimme the code or I'll tell your wife and destroy your happy family). This means the end of her friendship with YunHee (and the mission), a relationship which she finds she really liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 05:43 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Elizabeth is trying to get access code from YunHee's husband for one of their guys to get additional deadly bio-agents.

Since she couldn't find anything in his home, she's resorting to blackmailing the husband (gimme the code or I'll tell your wife and destroy your happy family). This means the end of her friendship with YunHee (and the mission), a relationship which she finds she really liked.
I concluded she was planning to blackmail, but never could figure out what Patty's husband did that the KGB wanted. I'm guessing something mentioned in that first dinner table scene a few weeks back?

Thanks for clarifying. Does he work in the same lab as William? Or is it Korean stuff they're after?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:26 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I don't understand Elizabeth's last statement " I will really miss her." What did she mean???
She had actually become real friends with Young-Hee. She felt terrible about what she was doing to her husband, knowing it will probably destroy a good marriage, and kill her friendship.

I think this may be the start of a slide in Elizabeth's character, going from a staunch Soviet communist, to a more sympathetic American, like her husband. Especially with Paige making comments like she is, after watching "The Day After".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I must have missed something over the last few episodes. What was Elizabeth looking for in their home and why did she do that to the husband? I'm confused! Any explanation would be helpful. Thanks!
They need to get into Level Four of the Bio-Hazard lab. Their spy William only has Level Three access. It now seems clear Young-Hee's husband has the access they need. They are going to blackmail him to get the info.

I'm not sure we knew this until this week's episode. If they referred to it earlier in the season, I missed it.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:49 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I bet he will resist and tell them to go ahead and tell Yong Hee. He has Level 4 access. They have probably drilled him on proper procedures constantly.

Then they will probably threaten to pin everything William has sent them on him. Then I wouldn't be surprised if he commits suicide.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I watched it again and enjoyed it even more.

The only thing is why Don didn't see the pill in the wine glass ?? He examined it so closely and surely it didn't dissolve that quickly, right?

Now I get Elizabeth's remark " I will miss her." Seems like she and Japanese lady had alot of fun together. Elizabeth must wonder if her "calling" in life is really worth it. She has to give up so much (for the KGB).

Old 05-15-2016, 11:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I watched it again and enjoyed it even more.

The only thing is why Don didn't see the pill in the wine glass ?? He examined it so closely and surely it didn't dissolve that quickly, right?

Now I get Elizabeth's remark " I will miss her." Seems like she and Japanese lady had alot of fun together. Elizabeth must wonder if her "calling" in life is really worth it. She has to give up so much (for the KGB).
...and PROBABLY the respect of her daughter.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:31 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Amazing episode of The Americans this past week. It was obvious that Elizabeth felt terrible blackmailing Young Hee's husband by making him think they had an affair (the black-mailing part will presumably happen in a future episode).

Also liked the period music: Yaz's Winter Kills (obscure but great), and Peter Schilling's iconic Major Tom - perfect placement of this song in the episode.

And, I always like the attention to period details in the show - notably all of the VHS tapes in Young Hee's home

Here's a great re-cap of the episode:

‘The Americans’ Recap: Season 4, Episode 9, ‘The Day After’ - Speakeasy - WSJ
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Also, I can't emphasize enough how significant it was to show the characters watching The Day After TV film (which aired on 11/20/1983). I was in middle school when it came out, and remember being pi$$ed that my overprotective parents wouldn't let me watch the entire film due to the graphic nature (I remember getting up to the point where Jason Robards & his daughter were in the museum). I wasn't happy about this at the time, but apparently other kids had the same experience; years later, I do remember mentioning this to a girl I was dating, and she was also prevented from watching this by her parents...

Years later, I did watch entire film on DVD. And, I found TDA an extremely disturbing, horrific, and graphic film - I'm actually surprised that it came out on network TV at the time, due to the nature of the story/effects - if it had been in the theater, I'm sure it would have been rated R. It definitely seemed more like a big-budget, expensive Hollywood film than a TV movie.

This film did a good job of depicting what may have happened had there been a catastrophe like this back in the day; the scenes of people being incinerated in the blast(s) were quite chilling; also horrible were the scenes of destruction, & the bodies - especially the ones that had been flash-fried/charred but still intact -were quite grotesque. However, what really got me were the scenes of people dying of radiation poisoning - truly unerrving & horrific.

I felt the story was quite well-done as well, and understandably focused on those who were in the mid-west at the time (near the missle silo). I was also surprised that this tele-film had a lot of "big names", even by '83 standards - i.e. Jason Robards, Jobeth Williams, Steve Guttenberg - IIRC, all of them had been in feature films in the '70's and/or '80's. So, I was surprised they were in a TV movie.

This was definitely an anti-war film, though at the time I didn't realize this...

It's also worth noting that the film-makers put a caveat at the end of the film - stating that if something like this were to happen, it would be much worse than what was depicted on-screen.

In closing, I'm probably glad I never saw this as a kid - it may have given me nightmares. Plus, the threat of n. war in the '80's was huge, and so the possibility of this happening was at the forefront of everyone's mind at the time.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
OFFICIALLY renewed for 2 final seasons. Season 5 will air in 2017 and the 6th and final season will air in 2018

Old 05-25-2016, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 19,882 times
So is the show any good?

Old 05-25-2016, 01:59 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-DADDY View Post
So is the show any good?

I think it's one of the best shows on TV. But then again, I'm some weirdo who hates reality TV and shows like Dancing with Stars and the Bachelor, so I'm probably not a good barometer of what's "good."

The only drama shows I really watch are The Americans, Vikings, The Walking Dead, Fargo. Then I watch a few shows when they come on DVD because I don't have pay channels (Game of Thrones).

You'd definitely have to watch from the very beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV