U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,291,914 times
Default Love PBS, but hate constant fundraising

I love watching PBS here in SE MI, but the amount fundraising that goes on keeps increasing and increasing and is really obnoxious. I make a donation based on what I can afford, and I realize they need public funds, but it's gotten to the point of ridiculousness, when every show is preceded by a "pitch" for several minutes, and they "cash in" on popular shows like Downton Abbey by pushing CDs and PBS memberships before and after every episode. It used to be that PBS would fundraise a couple times a year for a couple weeks each time and that would be the end of it. Now it seems to be constant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM

5,502 posts, read 3,810,313 times
I watch PBS online.... no fundraising there! Of course, not all your shows may be available...but they have a fairly good list, including Downton Abbey!

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I love watching PBS here in SE MI, but the amount fundraising that goes on keeps increasing and increasing and is really obnoxious. I make a donation based on what I can afford, and I realize they need public funds, but it's gotten to the point of ridiculousness, when every show is preceded by a "pitch" for several minutes, and they "cash in" on popular shows like Downton Abbey by pushing CDs and PBS memberships before and after every episode. It used to be that PBS would fundraise a couple times a year for a couple weeks each time and that would be the end of it. Now it seems to be constant.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM

2,952 posts, read 2,115,831 times
My guess is that with more channels on the dial less people watch PBS and thus less people donate. Add to that we aren't in the best of economic health and people that might have donated $20 are now donating $5 so they are bringing in less money and need to "beg" more.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM

2,711 posts, read 1,954,094 times
To some degree, it's the economy, IMO. People probably aren't donating enough. Personally, I watch PBS more now than I ever did before. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the PBS stations. And BTW, certain politicians have threatened to cut any remaining government funding, so it's a tough time for them.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,431,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
To some degree, it's the economy, IMO. People probably aren't donating enough. Personally, I watch PBS more now than I ever did before. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the PBS stations. And BTW, certain politicians have threatened to cut any remaining government funding, so it's a tough time for them.
As they should. I don't watch PBS so why should I be forced to pay for it.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Yes, there are even ads here that quote the politicians who are threatening to cut PBS funding off totally. I also watch a lot of PBS.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM

8,726 posts, read 5,793,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I don't see it as a big deal. They don't have funding from annoying ass commercials like regular channels, which is a huge plus if you really think about.

PBS rocks.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM

4,265 posts, read 2,288,432 times
All too many of PBS's fundraisers are aimed at the "seasoned citizens" set. How many people 50 or under are interested in buying Lawrence Welk Show DVDs?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Status: "mit keinem Hang zur Perfektion" (set 22 hours ago)

2,028 posts, read 1,675,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
As they should. I don't watch PBS so why should I be forced to pay for it.

because it's impossible to live in a modern, complex society of 330 Million people and agree on where every single cent of government money goes. I guarantee the government spends money on all kinds of stuff you think is just great that others don't.

You'll just have to suck it up and be mature about it.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM

12,590 posts, read 6,929,275 times
I'm watching Conn. PBS right now. Just got through watching
"Doo-Whop" and now I'm watching "Il Volo" We are love. 3 young opera singers. When they say young, they mean young! You should see the young ladies just looking at them in adoration. They are cute and they are GOOD! I think they are Italian.

I adored "The 3 Tenors" and these kids are a great new generation of operatic singers. They are going to Conn. soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV