Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times

Advertisements

I noticed the roof too, to me it just looked like the shingles were all gouged up or something.

Loved this episode. I am a failed relationships/life person and I recognized much of myself in the "The Ghost". I don't know how he got it that accurately.
Just cringing that he has a shot at happiness with another socially scared person and she will, and he will, get 'kicked in the face'. I mean, when she said "oh she'll never know that you did that"....wtf, he has to live with that regardless, how is he going to try to build his first relationship if her boss is going down in flames and he can't talk about his role in that? Argh...painful to watch

And I love her ex husband, going to feel bad for him too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I noticed the roof too, to me it just looked like the shingles were all gouged up or something.

Loved this episode. I am a failed relationships/life person and I recognized much of myself in the "The Ghost". I don't know how he got it that accurately.
Just cringing that he has a shot at happiness with another socially scared person and she will, and he will, get 'kicked in the face'. I mean, when she said "oh she'll never know that you did that"....wtf, he has to live with that regardless, how is he going to try to build his first relationship if her boss is going down in flames and he can't talk about his role in that? Argh...painful to watch

And I love her ex husband, going to feel bad for him too.
What does Levi, the ex husband, do to support himself?
I think if he stays clean he'll still have a chance with her.
The reporter just looks good to her now. He's something different and is idealistic - but he doesn't make much money (remember she chose not to take that 'ideal' job of helping the homeless because of money?) and he's very clear that his work occupies his life. I don't think that will last.

Yes. That co-worker, Tyler, is the nicest person in the show. I feel so sorry for him but I think he has little choice now than to keep his mouth shut. What would you do? I mean, the deed's already done. Telling the truth now would gain everyone nothing and he would stand to lose a lot.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Wow!
What a episode.I saw that coming a mile away.
I don't even know where to begin!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What does Levi, the ex husband, do to support himself?
I think if he stays clean he'll still have a chance with her.
The reporter just looks good to her now. He's something different and is idealistic - but he doesn't make much money (remember she chose not to take that 'ideal' job of helping the homeless because of money?) and he's very clear that his work occupies his life. I don't think that will last.

Yes. That co-worker, Tyler, is the nicest person in the show. I feel so sorry for him but I think he has little choice now than to keep his mouth shut. What would you do? I mean, the deed's already done. Telling the truth now would gain everyone nothing and he would stand to lose a lot.
I think Levi is an ex-ball player, so maybe he has money from that?

I have to say out of all of the characters, I like Amy the LEAST. She is SO STUPID. The things that she does just come off as so self serving even if she wants to frame them as altruistic acts. The only reason she went after Abbadon in the first place was because they wouldn't give her the job she wanted, and she keeps pining for this bigger life so she feels more important. Now she had the chance to have a job that makes a difference and the only reason she turned it down was because her "boyfriend" told her not to? And then he subsequently dumps her?? I liked her better in the beginning of the first episode when she went nuts in the first place. At least she had balls then and didn't try to hide behind some hippy-dippy facade of someone who was trying to make the world a better place.

Meanwhile, who is worse? The big boss guy, who clearly is taking bribes from people but still shows signs of humanity and growth by keeping the company together and keeping people employed, or Dermot Mulroney's character, whose only real interest in this ultimately seems to be winning another Pulitzer and staying on top of his field while an entire company and the people who work there could go down in flames? I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm actually rooting for the Evil Corporation!

I don't know if any of my interpretations were Mike White's intent when he wrote these episodes, but he definitely has a way of adding unexpected nuances to characters.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
All characters must be self serving. We have to hold body and soul together.
The thing is, not everyone plays by the same rules.

Capitalism, unbridled, is evil. Most people agree with that statement.
Capitalism unbridled is an Ayn Rand dream. Capitalism as an ideal would not glean any altruistic endeavors - unemployment insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, SocSec, libraries, firehouses, police, roads, etc.

We probably each have an idea of what the public (vs. private) funds should support and how business should be regulated. Corporations, by their very nature, will vie for as much profit as possible and have only a secondary care for employees, the public, or the environment.

So, we have the idea of ethics and regulation and the government stepping in to ensure that corporations do no damage to either us or the environment. I think the government is not doing too good of a job. I think that Amy is wandering into an area that she really knows little about, but at least has courage and determination.

The complications and duel purposes and fragility of the characters in this show seem to mimic reality in that everything is multidimensional and complex. This is why lawyers are needed. Most issues are not simple and contain conflicting interests.

I think the show is terrific.
What are they doing the next season?
What protection do we have for whistle blowers? I know that the laws for federal and private employees differ.
Do people agree with the mom for throwing her out - even with no deadline she told her to leave.
Did that reporter invite her over just to hear what the Abbadon CEO had to say? Why did he never discuss with her up front that she would be sued by the company? Shouldn't she have expected that? Shouldn't the newspaper offered to help her?
I like the characters, the religious woman, Doug, even that Indian guy was interesting. I hope they are not all out for the next season.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,257,577 times
Was that the season finale?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Yes, it was the season finale. Enlightened has not been renewed yet according to interview with Mike White.

Enlightened Season 2 Finale: Mike White on Amy Vs. Abaddon, Season 3 Spoilers - TVLine

Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
I love Mike White and his end of show reviews. His comment re having kids and swimming upstream at then end of the finale was very keen. I thought his final take on the ability to change was sweetly postive although it is hard to believe from down in the trenches.

In an odd way this sort of reminds me of Sex and the City. Just in that the central character narrates a lot of intellectual dilemma and that like Carrie in Sex in the City, Amy is both representing a real person and some amalgam of everyone and by her actions is portraying the central themes of.........self identity and ambition and human needs and all the other stuff. I mean there is a ton going on here. Mike White is sort of brilliant I think.

Its the end of another long grey winter here. Wish I could afford to live in California. All that beautiful sun, not too hot or cold. Sigh.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Where to start?
The cast in this show is very interesting and felt very real to me.This was probably one of the best season finale's in a long time for me.The Dialog between Amy and her Mom was Emmy worthy.It showed 2 different generations and their own view of the world.
Baby Boomers View:
Don't Bite the hand that feeds you.
Gen X View:
This hand may feed me,but somebody or something somewhere is getting screwed because of it.
I love how it showed The reporter and the la times was kinda no different Abbadon and The CEO.
Amy going Back and forth with the lawyers,HR and the CEO was brilliant!
I don't know if it's enough material left for a 3 seasons.Like any master piece i think they should just leave it alone.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Mike white pretty much nails Amy intentions after the season one finale

Enlightened Season 1: Inside The Episode - Episode #10 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV