Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Every story needs an ending, so you can't just keep plugging along without at some point loosing the plot. In the case of too many long run series, the last few seasons the story line becomes so detached from what brought people to the show to begin with that cancelation is like putting a sick dog out of its misery. For me prime examples of this were Northern Exposure where Joel goes off on to some mystical search of self, Bones post Bones and Booth, Angela and Hodgins all getting married; Fringe the multi-universe thing became just to confusing to follow (ok that might be because I'm a dense idiot) and what seems to be happening with the Big Bang Theory.

So what shows do you think should or should have just taken a bow and exited stage right before being canceled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
My memories of "Cheers" would be a lot fonder if they had not continued with the show after Shelley Long left. The side characters were good, but it was the Sam/Diane tension which was at the heart of the show. When they brought Kirsti Alley aboard they embarked on a steady process of dumbing down the program, more and more slapstick and less and less sharp wit. They shaved about 25 IQ points off the Sam character.

What had been a first rate sit com got converted into something more on par with the second tier shows like "Wings"

M*A*S*H should have been put down in a mercy killing years before it finally ground to a halt. What began as a wise crack comedy had morphed into "Hawkeye Knows Best" by about the 7th or 8th year, the left wing moral lesson of the week.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
They should just call this category the "Simpsons Award". I guess you could make a case for SNL also.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM

92 posts, read 267,443 times
I remember about several years ago there was a site about "jumping the shark". It used to list all the TV shows and the consensus on the moment the show took a turn for the worst.

I wonder what happened to that site?

Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie1000 View Post
I remember about several years ago there was a site about "jumping the shark". It used to list all the TV shows and the consensus on the moment the show took a turn for the worst.

I wonder what happened to that site?
It jumped the shark a few years back.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Gilmore Girls lost a lot of its steam after Palladino left.

Law & Order in all its incarnations is a show I just don't get the appeal of. Totally predictable plots. Horrible dialogue. No one on those shows act so much as pose.

ALIAS. The first 2 seasons are some of the best action adventure TV ever made. But unfortunately, they made 3 seasons after that.

Happy Days kind of goes without saying. First 2 seasons good. After that, not.

The West Wing never recovered from Sorkin's departure.

Frasier felt very tired the last season or two.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Gilmore Girls lost a lot of its steam after Palladino left.

Law & Order in all its incarnations is a show I just don't get the appeal of. Totally predictable plots. Horrible dialogue. No one on those shows act so much as pose.

ALIAS. The first 2 seasons are some of the best action adventure TV ever made. But unfortunately, they made 3 seasons after that.

Happy Days kind of goes without saying. First 2 seasons good. After that, not.

The West Wing never recovered from Sorkin's departure.

Frasier felt very tired the last season or two.

I agree with all of that except Happy Days. Why do you think it should have been canceled?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
The Office
Rescue Me
Prison Break
That 70's Show
Jersey Shore
Survivor
Big Brother

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
"All in the Family" should have known it was time to hang it up when they started writing the "adopt that semi-hot chick from the New Radicals" storyline, much by the time they changed it to "Archie Bunker's Place."

Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
I agree with all of that except Happy Days. Why do you think it should have been canceled?
So we wouldn't have to see Fonzie jump the shark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV