Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 01:59 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth_cali View Post
Even though I'm not head over heels about the so-called "STARS" they have selected this season (particularly Sean Lowe.....a "STAR".....really?), I am still excited for this season to start next Monday. I always enjoy watching ballroom dancing, the music, the costumes, the competition, the drama, and the comments from the judges. Other than that, ABC, please start using REAL STARS for future reference. PLEASE????
DWTS asks the big stars over and over and over and most decline. DWTS knows that the A-listers won't do it (too much liability from injury, etc, and their insurance probably wouldn't let them do it anyway), so they keep asking any and every anybody they can until some say yes. Most of the stars do it for the chance to learn dancing (David Arquette, Catherine Jenkins, Ralph Macchio), to lose weight (Chaz Bono, Kirstie Alley), or for the publicity. Many also continue to dance after they leave the show because they've come to love it, but others can't seem to get off soon enough (Macy Gray). It takes a lot of really hard work and dedication to be on this show, so I give kudos to those who give it their all. I've been amazed at how many of the stars took their dancing seriously, tried really hard to learn the dances and did really well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth_cali View Post
Even though I'm not head over heels about the so-called "STARS" they have selected this season (particularly Sean Lowe.....a "STAR".....really?), I am still excited for this season to start next Monday. I always enjoy watching ballroom dancing, the music, the costumes, the competition, the drama, and the comments from the judges. Other than that, ABC, please start using REAL STARS for future reference. PLEASE????
DWTS asks A-list stars every season, but most of them can't accept because of liability issues or their insurance policies won't let them take the risk. So, it's the lesser known stars who are free to do it. I've been really impressed with how many of the stars take their dancing seriously and work their butts off to do really well. Catherine Jenkins, Erin Andrews, William Levy, David Arquette and a few others really impressed me with their dedication and effort to learn to dance and dance well. Others took it as a joke, and others couldn't wait to get off. I think this season will be a good group of dancers.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
The only name I am familiar with this season is Wynonna.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
DWTS asks the big stars over and over and over and most decline. DWTS knows that the A-listers won't do it (too much liability from injury, etc, and their insurance probably wouldn't let them do it anyway), so they keep asking any and every anybody they can until some say yes. Most of the stars do it for the chance to learn dancing (David Arquette, Catherine Jenkins, Ralph Macchio), to lose weight (Chaz Bono, Kirstie Alley), or for the publicity. Many also continue to dance after they leave the show because they've come to love it, but others can't seem to get off soon enough (Macy Gray). It takes a lot of really hard work and dedication to be on this show, so I give kudos to those who give it their all. I've been amazed at how many of the stars took their dancing seriously, tried really hard to learn the dances and did really well.
All true. The other thing is that now its standard to take some dancing lessons for the basics before even starting. And they do intensive rehersals and training for a over a month before shooting, in addition to the time when the show is on. The people who go on the show who act tend to be those with less work. Which does not mean they are not good actors, but they are not 'stars'. Stars tend to have time commitments which are not so flexable.

I saw a bit on the latest Batchler where they aren't terribly happy he'd immediately jumping to DWTS since they feel he's grabbing his sixty seconds of fame while he can. sigh....

Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM

884 posts, read 1,062,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I dont see anything wrong with the celebrities they're choosing. When viewers complain about the lack of "stars" I wonder who they'd want to see. And then I wonder who on that list would be willing and able to put in the time to compete on the show.

But thanks so much for the reminder. I was wondering when the season starts.
Well not to be a complainer....just merely voicing my opinion here. I just thought a star was someone who was well known for something important (sports, TV, music industry, movies, performances, talents, etc). That's all I was hoping to see. I was just questioning Sean Lowe's status of "stardom", and many of the others I've barely heard of. (Sean just got off Bachelor by the way, should be engaged and planning a televised wedding on ABC, so it's strange he will be on the show with all the action he's got going).

Thanks everyone for the explanation on the liabilities for the REAL stars....I can see why they don't get many REAL stars on the show now. Maybe someday they will rename this show "DANCING WITH THE PROS". So then maybe it would justify the "nobodys" that continue to appear the show. Overall, still looking forward to the season start.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:16 PM

Well, you're not alone in your skepticism of Sean Lowe: But, Sean is part of the ABC franchise family so he is probably leaned on pretty hard by the ABC honchos, as are some Disney "stars" since Disney owns ABC, to fill out the DWTS roster. Plus, by hiding a "surprise" contestant, it supposedly increases interest which translates into ratings....

Sean Lowe Doesn't Like 'Bachelor' And 'Dancing With The Stars' Fame; Also, Jason And Molly Mesnick Welcome Baby Girl! - Reality Tea

I think he's an attention hog and a phony to boot. As I've said on the Bachelor thread, I don't think Catherine is as into him and the relationship as much as he is into it all.

As for stars, there are always a lot of sports stars~~Apolo Anton Ono, Kristi Yamaguchi, Evan Lysacsek, Shawn Johnson, Hope Solo, Donald Driver, Kurt Warner, Hines Ward, Emmit Smith, Jerry Rice, and many, many more. Music~~Gavin DeGraw, Jack Wagner, Macy Gray, Catherine Jenkins, Sabrina Bryant, Mel B, etc. Scroll down through this article and it lists every "star" and their season and partner, as well as 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners each season, and more....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing...U.S._TV_series)

Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Well, you're not alone in your skepticism of Sean Lowe: But, Sean is part of the ABC franchise family so he is probably leaned on pretty hard by the ABC honchos, as are some Disney "stars" since Disney owns ABC, to fill out the DWTS roster. Plus, by hiding a "surprise" contestant, it supposedly increases interest which translates into ratings....

Sean Lowe Doesn't Like 'Bachelor' And 'Dancing With The Stars' Fame; Also, Jason And Molly Mesnick Welcome Baby Girl! - Reality Tea

I think he's an attention hog and a phony to boot. As I've said on the Bachelor thread, I don't think Catherine is as into him and the relationship as much as he is into it all.

As for stars, there are always a lot of sports stars~~Apolo Anton Ono, Kristi Yamaguchi, Evan Lysacsek, Shawn Johnson, Hope Solo, Donald Driver, Kurt Warner, Hines Ward, Emmit Smith, Jerry Rice, and many, many more. Music~~Gavin DeGraw, Jack Wagner, Macy Gray, Catherine Jenkins, Sabrina Bryant, Mel B, etc. Scroll down through this article and it lists every "star" and their season and partner, as well as 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners each season, and more....

Dancing with the Stars (U.S. TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm getting really tired of all the reality 'stars'. Sean Lowe really makes me want to turn off the tv when his mug appears. The ones they pick to be 'stars' are the people who are sufficently creepy to keep up the interest and sufficently greedy to play it up even more.

A bunch of the stars are known within their field, and are at the top so they are reasonably legit, but someone who is seeking to extend his fifteen minutes is hardly the same.

Instead of showcasing real people doing worthwhile things, most 'reality tv' is more like the cheap sideshow at the fair. And has the same appeal. Sad...

Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I dont see anything wrong with the celebrities they're choosing. When viewers complain about the lack of "stars" I wonder who they'd want to see.
Like Robert De Niro? You talkin to me?

Lou Ferigno? I'm giving 110%!

Old 03-16-2013, 12:47 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Like Robert De Niro? You talkin to me?

Lou Ferigno? I'm giving 110%!
Yea!

I would LOVE to see either one of them on DWTS!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Breaking news!

Quote:
E!'s Ryan Seacrest and Julianne Hough have broken up.

After more than two years of dating, the "American Idol" host and the "Safe Haven" star are no longer living together, sources confirm to E! News. They have amicably decided that they need time apart.

Insiders say that the duo's respective busy work schedules proved to be too much, but they are still in regular contact and remain friends.
Ryan Seacrest and Julianne Hough break up - TODAY Entertainment

I didn't even know they were a couple.

But what I find most shocking is that they were living together!!

She always had that virgin thing going on, I thought (unlike her brother, who has always come across like a player). I remember when she was partnered with Adam Corolla and he was always giving her a bad time about being an innocent Mormon girl, she always seemed to get genuinely embarrassed.

Oh, well.........I guess *stuff* happens. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV