Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They did address the Romans in tonight's episode, and even showed how the monks started recording the ancient texts. Very interesting. Why did the king not want the people to know about the Romans? Was it because the king wanted them to think paganism would doom people so he could retain power? At any rate, I'm sure they're taking quite a few liberties with the history in that storyline. You seem to know much more about this period than I do. What do you think?
... he doesn't retain power because of/via religion. He retains power by brute force and especially sharp intellect. Which was why Athelstan told Ragnar that Ecbert was just like him. Quite frankly, it's not so much Ecbert doesn't want people to know... he isn't going to bother with stupid/uneducated people, which is why he's drawn to Athelstan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Wives are prominent characters in this show but have they shown King Egbert's wife? Haven't seen the Mrs. anywhere.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:11 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The Romans pulled away from Britan centuries before. they only had a firm hold in the southern portion. If people are uneducated and there were other invasions since, the memory of Rome would be minimal by then. There were also other invasions, including the ones done by those who were now christan kings but came form the same source of invasions other had. Their king would be different, having been involved with Charlemane and his own western army he considered the remaking of Rome. Learning was important there, and much of what had been was preserved by his reign. But he came nowhere near Britan, though monks like Antlestan would have had the opportunity to go there.

So by the late 900's, in local areas, the memory would be dim or missing. The new christan kingdoms would be the representation of authority and order. And the christan religion would tie the people to them as its leadership would be a part of those in power. He knows its not the time to show them they were what was left of a powerful civilization. But he's a fascinating man in that he is a warlord, and lives in a brual time, but guards the past with obvious reverence. It isn't quite the middle ages yet. It is the barbarian age which preceeded it where warlords rule. But this warlord wants Rome not to be forgotten. He knows those of his time will not understand, but he risks his power and life to hide the past until its time comes again. And he's found someone in Antlestan who shares these things.

Later, the keeper of civilization was the Church. Inside the basements of their monestaries they sheltered ancient books and copied them so they'd last, for the future. And the ancient voices were heard again due to them. Then, there was very little we or their ancestors would call civilizaton. The King holds power due to his ability to control, but if anything were to cause that to be questioned, he could lose it easily. So he and his new companion will hide the past lest it be destroyed.

The neat thing is they aren't taking a lot of liberties. Warlords rule by force and fear and representing the passion of those they control, and that is exactly what he is doing. But he and now Antlestan have a reasom to do more than just survive.

He and his appreciation of knowledge, even if it couldn't be known yet, is the lasting effect of Charlemange and his short lived 'empire'.
Thank you for posting this. It is very interesting. Now I'm even more impressed with this show for staying true to the history. I hope you continue with the lessons.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Yikes! A knife in the eye - and a quick beheading! I wonder if Lagertha will now be in charge of that band of people? They seemed to willingly follow her when they helped Ragnar defeat Jarl Borg. I could totally see her and her band accompanying Ragnar on his raids, now that Jarl Borg's men are toast. (literally)
I didn't watch the last episode when it aired, but on On-Demand, and they had a preview of this week that I don't believe was on regular TV Thursday night. Lagertha goes to meet with Ragnar, and says she's now an Earl of her tribe, so she and Ragnar are now equals. So I guess the rest of the men in that tribe respected how she fought and led, and they got behind her.

Lagertha says that as a Earl, she wants to form an alliance with Ragnar and join in the raids on England. He says something about if she's saying it as an Earl, his answer is No, but if she's saying it as the Lagertha he knows, then the answer is yes.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
I dont think they showed it, correct me if im wrong. But how did lagertha wind up with that other husband

Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I dont think they showed it, correct me if im wrong. But how did lagertha wind up with that other husband
She divorced Ragnar and took their son when he married his princess. He thought they could just be his two wives but she didn't agree. Rangar suggested it again when she helped liberate their home, so he still hasn't learned. They didn't show the details, but she remarried.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
She divorced Ragnar and took their son when he married his princess. He thought they could just be his two wives but she didn't agree. Rangar suggested it again when she helped liberate their home, so he still hasn't learned. They didn't show the details, but she remarried.
Yeah was actually wondering if they left out the details or if i had just missed it. I guess i didnt miss it

Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Yeah was actually wondering if they left out the details or if i had just missed it. I guess i didnt miss it
No, it was just "implied" when they jumped ahead 4 years.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I thought it interesting that the only person Ragnar seemed concerned about when that Viking came back to tell of the last battle was Athelstan. Is it because he loves him like family or worried about what he can tell the Wessex king, or maybe just worried about losing such a valuable person who can tell him about the enemy?
I think he was concerned about Athelstan - I think he likes him, and his reaction when his son, Bjorn stood up for Athelstan at dinner confirms that, I think. He seemed proud that Bjorn would speak up. However, Athelstan is not ever going to be his ultimate priority - for instance, when Ragnar decided Athelstan would be their human sacrifice without telling him. I think he was probably somewhat happy that Athelstan survived (being a human sacrifice), but when all is said and done, if it were up to him, he probably would've preferred to have kept a good fighter who could join him on raids, over Athelstan, who is interesting and kind, but doesn't make for the best viking.

I also think that Ragnar doesn't actually like King Horik that much. King Horik is too much of a schemer, and doesn't care how the consequences of his schemes affect those he's supposed to be allies with. For example, it's a direct result of him deciding to break his promise with Jarl Borg (and having Ragnar break the news to him) that incites Jarl Borg to invade Ragnar's lands, and put his family's lives at risk. Additionally, King Horik, who Athelstan was left in the care of, doesn't even know if Athelstan lived or died and doesn't give a crap. I think it's his carelessness for anyone but himself that Ragnar doesn't like, and doesn't trust. But Ragnar's sort of in a bind - it's difficult for him to go against his King, and not very smart.

Oh, and I wonder how King Horik will affect Siggy. Sounds as if he or his son got the information to Rollo. Either that, or Floki overheard the conversation between Siggy and King Horik, and let Rollo know. Either way, it's ultimately her fault. Man, she's a schemer, too, but with King Horik, who doesn't really care about anyone but himself, she met her foe. As he said, she's a "*****" for him. She acted like one (selling her body to get information), so he treats her like one.

I like Rollo. I'd like a happy ending for him. He made a huge mistake going against Ragnar, but wised up and I think is loyal to him. I feel like an old lady when I say that I hope he finds a nice lady, settles down, and has lots of children with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Yikes! A knife in the eye - and a quick beheading! I wonder if Lagertha will now be in charge of that band of people? They seemed to willingly follow her when they helped Ragnar defeat Jarl Borg. I could totally see her and her band accompanying Ragnar on his raids, now that Jarl Borg's men are toast. (literally)

I find it interesting that Athelstan is forming a bond with the king in the same way he bonded with Ragnar. His loyalties will be very conflicted when Ragnar comes back to Britain.
If the show follows the legends, then Lagertha will be leader of that band of people. Having read a little about her legend, I was waiting for her to off that idiot husband of her's. Good riddance, and I think his people feel the same. I'm wondering if they were waiting for that moment ever since she married him, knowing that she's tough and a Shieldmaiden.

I think Athelstan is forming a bond, sort of (I don't think he trusts the king, yet). But he's clearly still conflicted about his religion. In fact, I think Athelstan may have been surprised to realize that he's a little more pagan than he thought. He loves reading/writing/drawings, but I also think he likes some of the pagan gods, and has perhaps found some solace with them over his years with the vikings. Additionally, it doesn't seem as if a return to Christianity has helped his soul/mind - he continues to see demons and blood.

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 04-07-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Did anyone else LOVE when Siggy said to Floki "can you keep a secret?" and he burst out in a high pitched laugh and said "No"?
I cracked up. Floki's articulate way of saying "No Siggy, I'm not getting involved in your drama and treachery."

Is anyone else really disturbed by Jarl Borg fondling and French-kissing the skull of his dead first wife? I'd like to see the current wife crush that damned thing over his head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV