Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Glued to the Set also contained an essay claiming that public television was a failure. Instead of primarily showing quality "home-grown" programs, we see British imports.
Really?
There are lots of "home-grown" shows on PBS - all of the Ken Burns work, Frontline, American Masters, NOVA ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Look at how quick politicians are to threaten PBS' public funding. It's difficult to create and maintain quality programming when the budget can be slashed at any time, and it's easier to fund the programming that's already out there. The Brits/BBC are much more supportive of their cultural output and don't seem to make public television a political issue.
That's because PBS no longer needs public funding. They need commercials to stop having taxpayers pay for the few who watch it. Nobody says they have to change their programming.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,448,442 times
There are very few shows that I watch on the big three any more. Most of the quality programming is happening elsewhere. I find the sitcoms and endless reality TV that the networks churn out mind-numbing.

The problem with PBS going the commercial route is that they will face the same issues other channels have in bowing to their advertisers' pressure and demands regarding what they can and cannot program. Really good shows will probably never get made or aired because the corporations think they have a right to tell people what we should be watching. I absolutely hate the fact that ratings seem to be the only thing that keeps a show on the air no matter how high or low its quality.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,760,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
The problem with PBS going the commercial route is that they will face the same issues other channels have in bowing to their advertisers' pressure and demands regarding what they can and cannot program. Really good shows will probably never get made or aired because the corporations think they have a right to tell people what we should be watching.
If PBS was funded 100 percent by the government (i.e., taxpayers), it wouldn't necessarily mean higher quality shows or that every topic would get a fair hearing.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
To this forty-something fogey, TV was better when we had the "big three" networks. The shows were of a higher quality.

I have given up on trying to stay current with TV shows. There are too many choices and most get cancelled after just a few episodes.

I have never seen:

Lost
Prison Break
Wired
Big Bang Theory
Cougertown

I get comfort from old episodes from the "classics" when not watching something educational. The only show I follow is "Walking Dead" because even if you miss the weekly episode, they replay it the following week.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,334,356 times
I would say I am a 32 year old Fogey..I don't even watch tv anymore (except the ID true crime shows) I don't know really what is on and what's not. I watch a few "reality shows" (big brother usa) but that only comes on in the summer. I kind of miss the Saturday night lineups from when I was a kid (facts of life) golden girls), I am not saying there is not much on anymore I guess you just have to make an effort to find the good shows out there. We certainly have more choices now,I can remember getting cable in 1988 and watching for 3 days straight MTV when they use to play music videos. I really don't get into the new reality shows which I think are scripted anyways.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,760,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's because PBS no longer needs public funding. They need commercials to stop having taxpayers pay for the few who watch it. Nobody says they have to change their programming.
It seems every three months or so, PBS gets on its fundraising kick where they sell concerts showing people digging 50s pop singers, even those who were one hit wonders!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,525,563 times
I remember thinking TV was great back when it was just the "big 3" but if you go back and watch some of these old shows today they really do not stand up well - for the most part they are better remembered than they actually were. There is better quality programming on today then ever before. As someone earlier said - you just have to look for it. Most of the really great shows are on cable. Of course with the explosion of cable there is more crap than ever before as well. And don't even get me started on the mind numbing stupidity of all the vapid reality shows. Can all the housewives please just go away!!!!! Far far away..

Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
A long long time ago in a far away land there was a magical vision alternative called cable tv. When we first got cable believe
it or not it many stations didn't run commercials during their shows. Personally, I can't stand watching most of the crap on TV(in general) because of the repetitive commercials that run 3-4 minutes, then the tv show which may run 4 minutes then a commercial again. And most commercials & advertisers could give a rat's behind since they show the same ad every time over & over. Me TV and Antenna TV does run old shows and fits the commercials as they were intended back during their day. I'll also check out PBS because no commercials or the fascination with crummy reality stars and trash shows.
BTY some shows hold up well with time & others stink. Hated Love American Style - too corny.
I remember that. The USA channel had great original shows. And the A&E channel really had arts and entertainment. They used to show movie shorts made by aspiring film makers and award winning shorts from all over kind of like PBS "Best of Fest" airs today.

There were some innovative local cable TV shows as well. Cable was kind of like network TV when it first aired with new talent and experimental shows. Then a lot of it became junk. Not all, because there is some good stuff. It's just not as innovative and orginal as it once was.

I no longer subscribe to cable because it's too expensive and anything I do like I can rent from NetFlix if I patiently wait for it to get there like Madmen or things like that. There is enough on Network TV and the oldie channels to keep me entertained.

But the original channels had some goofy stuff too. One of my oldie channels shows the old "Colgate Comedy Hour" with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. Ugh! Not funny, sexist and dumb. I wish they would show the Sid Ceasar "Your Show of Shows." Those were funny. I remember them well. The olden days shows had their share of klinkers too. I was a kid in the 50's when they were on. Just 'cause they're old doesn't mean they were good.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Look at how quick politicians are to threaten PBS' public funding. It's difficult to create and maintain quality programming when the budget can be slashed at any time, and it's easier to fund the programming that's already out there. The Brits/BBC are much more supportive of their cultural output and don't seem to make public television a political issue.
I agree 100%. Between less than stellar donations from viewers (but seriously, many Americans simply cannot afford donating) and constantly dwindling support from our government, PBS can't be expected to generate expensive original programming. Most of what they do — kids programming, cooking shows, discussions by people like Charlie Rose and Bill Moyers, musical presentations — tends to be lower in cost and that's how it will remain until the public demands better. Even the specialty programming mentioned by TigerLily24 — "all of the Ken Burns work, Frontline, American Masters, NOVA" — costs much less to produce than original dramas that require a writing team, scores of actors, elaborate sets, location shooting, costumes, etc. We will continue to get those from Britain or we won't have them at all.

Some of the things people are complaining about here can also be laid at the feet of the Reagan Administration which chose to remove the teeth from the FCC. In case no one's noticed, radio programming is even more dismal today than TV is. That's directly related to the fact that now a very few players control our airwaves — something that was verboten in the past. The lack of competition leads to lower quality and fewer stations that respond to what their immediate region likes. It's one-size-fits all in radio today, which is essentially about as diverse as our shopping malls.

With its implosion, the FCC also gave TV and radio news organizations the mandate that their programming will not be distinguished from "entertainment," so they have no responsibility to make news shows that are fair, cover all bases, or are even truthful if they don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV