Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times

Advertisements

Jay has had his day in the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
I wouldn't put it past Jay to just put out this rumor to get interest and more viewers to his show. He is not current in today's times & culture he doesn't evolve he just reruns same ole same ole. Probably bucking for a raise in his last part of his contract who knows.

Like I said before Fallon doesn't interview guests well but everything else he hits it out of the ball park for me.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Letterman was good back in the 80's and into the mid 90's but in this decade has really lost it. Just seems like a grumpy bitter old man. CBS must not have anything better for the slot, or he's got some incriminating photos of someone there.

Never liked Leno so I haven't watched the Tonight Show since Carson left it.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Jimmy Fallon is bland and non-offensive enough that people who enjoy The Tonight Show will probably like him as host. I'm sure he will continue the edgy comedic premise of asking an idiot walking down Melrose Ave. questions.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Letterman was good back in the 80's and into the mid 90's but in this decade has really lost it. Just seems like a grumpy bitter old man. CBS must not have anything better for the slot, or he's got some incriminating photos of someone there.

Never liked Leno so I haven't watched the Tonight Show since Carson left it.
I tuned into Dave last night just to see this grouchy person y'all are talking about he had Al Gore on, boy he sure plumped up didn't he? Anyway Dave was talking about the repubs not doing anything to change our country, how he is more solarized/green living than even Al Gore and quite frankly he was hateful with a scowl on his face the whole time talking. I changed the channel.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
NBC is going to shoot itself in the foot again if they get rid of Jay.

Why would you get rid of the guy who has the HIGHEST ratings for his time slot? If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Jimmy plays too many stupid games.....corny, boring stuff.....just like Conan did.....and he will fail in that time slot.....just like Conan did.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
NBC is going to shoot itself in the foot again if they get rid of Jay.

Why would you get rid of the guy who has the HIGHEST ratings for his time slot? If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Jimmy plays too many stupid games.....corny, boring stuff.....just like Conan did.....and he will fail in that time slot.....just like Conan did.
Conan didn't fail. The affiliates complained bitterly about the bad ratings of The Jay Leno Show and didn't want to show it. NBC basically had a choice, they could either pay off Conan or pay off Jay. Conan was cheaper.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Conan didn't fail. The affiliates complained bitterly about the bad ratings of The Jay Leno Show and didn't want to show it. NBC basically had a choice, they could either pay off Conan or pay off Jay. Conan was cheaper.
That is not so. Conan's ratings in the 11:30 timeslot were terrible.

.Conan O'Brien Angry at NBC Over Tonight Show Switcharoo - DNAinfo.com New York

Quote:
The failed experiment began back in 2008, when NBC decided to put Leno on a 10 p.m. slot, opening the door to his “Tonight Show” replacement. But ratings for “The Jay Leno Show” have been dismal, and competitor David Letterman’s ratings consistently trounce O’Brien, forcing NBC brass to reconsider.
Conan couldn't expect the network to keep him in that timeslot just because it was "his turn". He couldn't match Leno's ratings, couldn't beat Letterman like Leno consistently did.....period. The Tonight Show isn't a playground game...{Whhaaaa, it's my turn.}....it is a business.

Mark my words.....if NBC puts Fallon in the 11:30 timeslot.....they will fall into last place behind Letterman and Kimmel.....and this time they will never recover.

And.....one other point I would like to make......Carson ALWAYS made jokes about NBC and it's executives....just like Leno does.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That is not so. Conan's ratings in the 11:30 timeslot were terrible.

.Conan O'Brien Angry at NBC Over Tonight Show Switcharoo - DNAinfo.com New York

Conan couldn't expect the network to keep him in that timeslot just because it was "his turn". He couldn't match Leno's ratings, couldn't beat Letterman like Leno consistently did.....period. The Tonight Show isn't a playground game...{Whhaaaa, it's my turn.}....it is a business.

Mark my words.....if NBC puts Fallon in the 11:30 timeslot.....they will fall into last place behind Letterman and Kimmel.....and this time they will never recover.

And.....one other point I would like to make......Carson ALWAYS made jokes about NBC and it's executives....just like Leno does.
He didn't expect to be kept there because it was "his turn". He expected to be given the chance to host the show as promised by NBC. The show was doing fine in the ratings, the whole kerfluffle was because the affiliates were complaining about Leno's show wrecking the local news ratings.

Having said all that, much as I love Conan, I never thought he was a good fit for the show anyway. He had to compromise too much of his style of humor to satisfy the suits and/or people who didn't "get it". He would have been better off staying where he was.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
He didn't expect to be kept there because it was "his turn".
Then why did he take it personally when it was obviously a sound business decision to replace him?

Why did he blame his demise on Leno.....when his ratings clearly didn't add up? Why was it Leno's fault that viewers didn't tune in to watch Conan, that the viewers who kept The Tonight Show at the top of the ratings for years suddenly quit watching when Conan took over? Exactly how was that Leno's fault?

Did he expect NBC to keep him in that timeslot even though he was failing?

Networks routinely cancel shows that fail in the ratings....why should Conan be any different? Seems to me Conan expected special treatment......why?.....because NBC promised him it was his turn?

Do you think NBC brought Leno back to make Leno happy? Or do you think NBC brought Leno back because he could deliver and Conan couldn't?

It's all about the money....... and Conan was costing them money.....not making them money.

Conan was given a chance.....and he failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV