Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times

Advertisements

I haven't watched The Real World for many years now because it got so raunchy and pointless, but the upcoming series is based in Portland, where I live, so I'll watch it just for kicks. But this afternoon they are re-running the entire Real World San Francisco which originally aired in 1993. The difference between that season and the previews for this new season is stunning. There were no drunken hookups, no threesomes in hot tubs, no bed hopping - none of the shenanigans of recent seasons.

The 1993 season had some fairly serious and grounded young people with varying degrees of professional advancement. None of them were "given" jobs. AIDS was dealt with in a serious and compassionate manner. A particularly disgusting roommate is asked to leave the house in a very civilized way. There was a lot of actual dating without cameras in bedrooms and bathrooms. It was so different then and I wish they would bring back some of the civility and restraint from that season. Set a different tone and really use this as a sociological observation. I know that most young folks out there are not that promiscuous and prone to drink/drug to oblivion. San Francisco was so much more absorbing and interesting.

Judging from the upcoming Portland season promos, it looks like more of the same out of control young adults, immature and fame seeking reality wannabes. I'll watch as long as I can stand it, but jeez, this show could be so much more than it has become in 20 years.

Rant over. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 05:51 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
I watched the show from the first season up until New Orleans. There were obnoxious cast members even in the earlier seasons, particularly the crude and disgusting Puck. There were fights in every season, a few of which caused cast members to be ejected (David from L.A., "that wasn't not funny!") I have heard that there was more drinking and hooking up in the later seasons which I didn't watch, but I think that the drama was always present and laid the groundwork for the reality shows of today.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
If you thought season 3 was chaste, you should watch from the very beginning, season 1 New York. Now that was reality tv & almost drama free. There were a few moments but nothing contrived like now. The cast now I feel is picked based on certain drama/stories going on in their life. And have you noticed how the younger generation seems to be very very family-based. People getting homesick for their moms, constant phonecalls home. Maybe it's me because I'm not a 20 or 20 something anymore but if I would've had the wherewithall to apply for that job in the first season, I would've jumped at the chance & waved byeeee to my parents the whole time. Ok sorry, that was a little off topic.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I haven't watched The Real World for many years now because it got so raunchy and pointless, but the upcoming series is based in Portland, where I live, so I'll watch it just for kicks. But this afternoon they are re-running the entire Real World San Francisco which originally aired in 1993. The difference between that season and the previews for this new season is stunning. There were no drunken hookups, no threesomes in hot tubs, no bed hopping - none of the shenanigans of recent seasons.

The 1993 season had some fairly serious and grounded young people with varying degrees of professional advancement. None of them were "given" jobs. AIDS was dealt with in a serious and compassionate manner. A particularly disgusting roommate is asked to leave the house in a very civilized way. There was a lot of actual dating without cameras in bedrooms and bathrooms. It was so different then and I wish they would bring back some of the civility and restraint from that season. Set a different tone and really use this as a sociological observation. I know that most young folks out there are not that promiscuous and prone to drink/drug to oblivion. San Francisco was so much more absorbing and interesting.

Judging from the upcoming Portland season promos, it looks like more of the same out of control young adults, immature and fame seeking reality wannabes. I'll watch as long as I can stand it, but jeez, this show could be so much more than it has become in 20 years.

Rant over. Thanks for reading.
OMG! I was watching the San Franciscso marathon yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing. I was telling my husband how weird it is that on the SF season, the biggest drama was dealing with Puck and Pedro's AIDS, in other scenes you see them rock- climbing, talking politics and riding bikes. Soooo innocent compared with the previews of Portland and the episdes of Las Vegas I watched Friday night where everything seems to focus on hookups, drinking, partying and fighting.

I am sure the earlier casts of RW look at the younger ones and think WTH!
And the earlier casts were much more mature, grounded and serious about life. It was a stark contrast to laster seasons (which I did not watch).

Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Season 3 was the best season, it all went downhill after that

Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Things have definitely changed. Sure there was drinking and going out. But I think things changed for the worse after the Miami season when they had them "work", as opposed to picking people to just live their lives while they were living in the house.

I remember the LA season where everyone was always on John's case for just sitting around the house all day long doing nothing. Now they all just sit around the house it seems waiting for the bars to open.

I guess people like watching a bunch of young kids get drunk and act stupid? Ah well. Not like I have not been there at some point in my life, but I am not so sure about its entertainment value.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Nice post OP, my wife and I were thinking the same thing the other day. They had some of the first season episodes on this weekend, and we watched a few. Much different feel back then than it is now. Real World used to actually deal with social issues and they actually showed real conflicts between the houseguests.

Now a days, its all about getting wasted, getting into fights, and sleeping around.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I got sucked into the marathon starting Friday night with season 1 in New York. Hadn't seen that season before. Was so glad that they showed Season 3 (San Fran) again. I also watched the 1st Vegas season again. That one was 28 episodes long!

I can't remember the last season I watched of RW. I'm guessing it was New Orleans.

I don't consider myself a prude, but the abundance of casual sex got to me after a while. I couldn't relate to those 20 somethings who appeared to have no self respect.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
San Francisco was the first season I saw. I think it must have been the year I got cable. Never saw the earlier two seasons. I'll look for them if they ever do another marathon. I'm kind of dreading having to watch this new season, but since it was filmed here, I'll watch to see how the portray Portland.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Remember it's a reflection of society, which has changed a lot in 20 odd years. The first season was really interesting. I can't even imagine what it's like now. Back then they were looking for goal orientated folks, young folks looking to make thier mark in the world. Those folks are still out there but that's not 'entertaining' anymore. It now has to one up the Jersey Shores of the world. It's a sad reality.

It's hard to believe Pedro from season 3 has been gone for so long. What a season that was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV