Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times

Advertisements

Bob Odenkirk started life as a stand-up comic. I wonder how much of the script ("Is that a piece of corn I see?") is improvised, and how much is scripted?

I'm not a big TV watcher, but I gotta say, "Better Call Saul" is the #1 best show I've seen on TV in a long, long time.

The brother is BRILLIANTLY portrayed. Highly intelligent, high achievers are sometimes severely mentally ill, but many can manage to slog through life and keep it together. And Saul is my hero for taking care of his mentally ill brother. It has shades of Vincent Van Gogh, whose younger brother (Theo) took care of him for most of his adult life.

Very dear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
The episode of BB where Mike is killed.. I watched that again last night.. Something that I totally missed, or didn't register. He abandoned his granddaughter at the park at the end.

They don't show that, but.. There's no way he got out of there with her.. She was on the swing.. cops all around.. He had to have left without her.

It was never established in BB whether the woman he picked his granddaughter up from was his daughter or a daughter in law.

It would make some sense for him to wind up in ABQ if his son and daughter in law were divorced.. he got drummed out of Philly.. So, he went to ABQ to be close to his granddaughter. I figure something happened to his son, which led to him being run out of Philly. So, it's likely all going to tie together.

I'm not positive I would be sticking with this if it weren't for BB.. It's good, but.. I don't entirely feel that i've been hooked like I was after the first episode of BB. Not like I'm going to stop watching or anything.. But if I just stumbled across it.. Not sure i'd mark it as 'must see'.

Ratings are not stellar.. Decent by AMC standards.. Just shy of 3 million per episode. That's about where BB hung out for most of its run.

It has been renewed for a second season already, though.. So.. No worries there.

The bad part.. We're already halfway through S1.. Only 5 episodes left.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The episode of BB where Mike is killed.. I watched that again last night.. Something that I totally missed, or didn't register. He abandoned his granddaughter at the park at the end.

They don't show that, but.. There's no way he got out of there with her.. She was on the swing.. cops all around.. He had to have left without her.

It was never established in BB whether the woman he picked his granddaughter up from was his daughter or a daughter in law.

It would make some sense for him to wind up in ABQ if his son and daughter in law were divorced.. he got drummed out of Philly.. So, he went to ABQ to be close to his granddaughter. I figure something happened to his son, which led to him being run out of Philly. So, it's likely all going to tie together.

I'm not positive I would be sticking with this if it weren't for BB.. It's good, but.. I don't entirely feel that i've been hooked like I was after the first episode of BB. Not like I'm going to stop watching or anything.. But if I just stumbled across it.. Not sure i'd mark it as 'must see'.

Ratings are not stellar.. Decent by AMC standards.. Just shy of 3 million per episode. That's about where BB hung out for most of its run.

It has been renewed for a second season already, though.. So.. No worries there.

The bad part.. We're already halfway through S1.. Only 5 episodes left.
The first couple of season BB was not viewed by very many people either. Word of mouth mixed with Byran Cranston Stacking up Emmys like Lincoln logs.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:48 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I was reading something about this very point yesterday. Jonathan Banks said that he disagreed with the script - he felt that Mike would never abandon his granddaughter when the cops came, but he played the part as written.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
My wife and I watched BB on Netflix so we didn't have to wait week to week for another episode.
We both tuned in to Saul and we like it but we are starting to wonder if it is going to pick up. BB had some slow episodes too but they were usually punctuated with some action or something whacky. Saul seems to be just opening up now with the setup of the guy hanging off the sign being rescued and Saul trying to drum up business with the old folks.

It is getting better but we think off to a slow start. If it wasn't for BB I wonder if it would make it?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I watched BB on Netflix so we didn't have to wait week to week for another episode.
We both tuned in to Saul and we like it but we are starting to wonder if it is going to pick up. BB had some slow episodes too but they were usually punctuated with some action or something whacky. Saul seems to be just opening up now with the setup of the guy hanging off the sign being rescued and Saul trying to drum up business with the old folks.

It is getting better but we think off to a slow start. If it wasn't for BB I wonder if it would make it?
I agree with this - while I loved Saul as a character on Breaking Bad, is he enough to carry an entire show on his own over several seasons? I loved Mike as well, but also as a minor character. You can't just pop in Tuco one episode, then Skinny Pete and/or Badger down the line, and eventually Jesse Pinkman and Gus Fring and expect it to carry the show. Of course, I'm sure it will be great to see them down the line, but I hope that's not the entirety of the show.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I agree with this - while I loved Saul as a character on Breaking Bad, is he enough to carry an entire show on his own over several seasons? I loved Mike as well, but also as a minor character. You can't just pop in Tuco one episode, then Skinny Pete and/or Badger down the line, and eventually Jesse Pinkman and Gus Fring and expect it to carry the show. Of course, I'm sure it will be great to see them down the line, but I hope that's not the entirety of the show.

I think this show is great, and one of the few I actually look forward to watching. I think Saul is definitely an interesting enough character to carry this show on his own.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:06 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Best new show of the season. Loving it.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:11 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I think this show is great, and one of the few I actually look forward to watching. I think Saul is definitely an interesting enough character to carry this show on his own.
I agree that Saul is interesting as a main character, but I suspect that, for people who never watched BB, they wouldn't care that much about him, or for the show in general.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post

So agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV