U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 25 43.86%
No 19 33.33%
It was just OK 13 22.81%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM

6,766 posts, read 7,424,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I don't think Hurley made anything up...I think it was just the way the writers designed the scene.

I do find the "we are already together" comment a little strange. Let's assume that Richard has never been able to communicate with Isabella in the centuries he's been on the island...until Hurley. "We're already together" says to me that Richard is also living in some sort of alternate timeline as well.
I don't think Hurley made it up either. We have no idea what she was saying to him back at the campfire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 AM

2,212 posts, read 3,018,256 times
Also...why didn't the smoke monster take Richard? It was quick to kill everyone else on the ship, and didn't have any qualms about killing Mr. Ecko after taking his measure, so what kept him from killing Richard?

My thoughts about that scene...I found it interesting that Richard closed his eyes. Remember Mr. Ecko's death? He stared right at the smoke, seeing all of his life flashbacks before he died. Richard also was chanting a prayer and had a crucifix around his neck. And, finally...the producers of Lost like to use the closeup of an eye opening a lot. The first episode with Jack opening his eye after the plane crash, last season's finale with one eye opening after Juliette exploded the bomb, then Richard...closing his eyes waiting for the smoke monster to kill him, the smoke monster leaves and there's a close-up of Richard's eyes opening and he realizes he's not dead.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Also...why didn't the smoke monster take Richard? It was quick to kill everyone else on the ship, and didn't have any qualms about killing Mr. Ecko after taking his measure, so what kept him from killing Richard?

My thoughts about that scene...I found it interesting that Richard closed his eyes. Remember Mr. Ecko's death? He stared right at the smoke, seeing all of his life flashbacks before he died. Richard also was chanting a prayer and had a crucifix around his neck. And, finally...the producers of Lost like to use the closeup of an eye opening a lot. The first episode with Jack opening his eye after the plane crash, last season's finale with one eye opening after Juliette exploded the bomb, then Richard...closing his eyes waiting for the smoke monster to kill him, the smoke monster leaves and there's a close-up of Richard's eyes opening and he realizes he's not dead.
'Cuz he wanted Richard to kill Jacob for him.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,608,258 times
Quote:
Each character is different (with the exception of Sayid and Hurley) in their nature depending on whether they're in LAX timeline or the island
what about kate?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
'Cuz he wanted Richard to kill Jacob for him.
Yeah, but again...how would he know that Richard would do it any more than, say, the captain of the ship or any one of the remaining passengers? The smoke seems to either immediately kill someone or "toy" with them.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but again...how would he know that Richard would do it any more than, say, the captain of the ship or any one of the remaining passengers? The smoke seems to either immediately kill someone or "toy" with them.
Idk I think it sizes people up and probably knew Richard was hurting so badly for his wife that of all the people on the ship he may have been his best chance/to get him to kill Jacob.

Then Jacob touched him and gave him everlasting life so now he CAN'T kill him.

Obviously there is some type of supernatural factor going on, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Jacob is not God, because you can't kill God, and MIB is not the Devil because the Devil was never human and he complains of being robbed of his humanity.

However, I think it's pretty obvious they are representative of the two.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
what about kate?
Kate in LAX timeline is on the run and will have to do some not-great stuff in order to stay ahead of the police...her purposefully smashing that car into Sawyer 2 epis ago. Her backstory makes her a sympathetic character but she has really come into her good character on the island.

I think of it in terms of Aaron. Kate in the LAX timeline (when she stayed with Claire at the hospital) would have never taken Aaron, even if Claire had begged. On the island, Kate became a different person...caring about those around her, understanding that she was going to have to take Aaron, pretend he was hers and raise him.

I've always liked Kate's character...the convict who really is a good person. I like her when she's taking care of herself and being tough. I don't like it when she sits back and lets the boys do it.

In LAX, she's on the run. On the Island, she's free...as Jacob said, "your past doesn't matter."

Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Jacob is not God, because you can't kill God, and MIB is not the Devil because the Devil was never human and he complains of being robbed of his humanity.

However, I think it's pretty obvious they are representative of the two.
I agree. There are good and evil forces and clearly the two of them represent that. I think, however, that the MIB is a serious bad guy who will cause havok if he gets off the island and that while Jacob isn't necessarily the epitome of goodness, his intentions are good even if the road to get there isn't.

I was a little sketchy at first about whether to believe that the MIB was "evil incarnate" as Doggin said. I think after this last episode, I will believe that it's true...really not a reason to believe otherwise. Jacob didn't need to tell that stuff to Richard about the island being a cork...he could have continued to pummel him and drown him in the ocean. With only a few episodes left, there isn't a reason to believe that Jacob is lying.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,608,258 times
Quote:
In LAX, she's on the run. On the Island, she's free...as Jacob said, "your past doesn't matter."
sry, i thought you meant lax time line vs leading up to and including the island time line

with the bomb going off you can see in the alt time line what their lives would have been without jacob effecting them. hurley is rich and happy, james is in the police with miles, jack is with his son, sayid is trying to live clean. however you see some of the characters with no change like sun and jin still have tension, and kate is still a fujitive

Old 03-25-2010, 12:13 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,077,353 times
Regarding the scene with Hurley, Richard and Isabella, don't know if this is significant or a just an error in production.

Richard to Isabella: Estas tu realmente aqui? Subtitle: Are you really here?
Isabella to Richard: Cierre tus ojos.
Hurley to Richard: She wants you to close your eyes, it's okay, I'll tell you what she says.

Richard closes his eyes.

Isabella to Richard: No fue tu culpa que yo mori, Ricardo.
Hurley to Richard: No fue tu culpa que yo mori, Ricardo. Subtitle: It wasn't your fault that I died, Ricardo.

Isabella to Richard: As much as you wanted to save me, it was my time.
Richard cries.

Isabella touches Richards face.

Isabella to Richard: You have suffered enough, Ricardo.
Richard to Isabella: I miss you. I would do anything for us to be together again.
Isabella to Richard: My love. We are already together.

Isabella kisses Richards cheek while still touching his face. The camera pans behind Hurley and then Isabella is gone.

Richard opens his eyes.

Richard to Hurley: Is she gone?
Hurley to Richard: Yeah.

Hurley did not have to speak to Richard in Isabella's behalf the whole time her hand was on his face. Does this mean that Richard could actually hear her voice during that time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV