U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 25 43.86%
No 19 33.33%
It was just OK 13 22.81%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:43 PM

13,245 posts, read 7,696,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I just hope the finale will be the kind of quality show I'll want to watch over and over again. If it isn't, my disappointment will be huge!
I think you have millions of others who feel the same way, Lee. I sure hope it satisfies most of Lost devotees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 05:38 PM

4,914 posts, read 7,331,474 times
I just see it as a fictional TV show, not a history lesson. It would be like thinking Grey's Anatomy only shows real medical conditions and procedures. Maybe it's not a good comparison, but that's how I see it...

Old 05-08-2010, 07:00 PM

All I know is I can't wait to find out what's happening with Desmond!

Old 05-08-2010, 07:43 PM

12,811 posts, read 8,033,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I just hope the finale will be the kind of quality show I'll want to watch over and over again. If it isn't, my disappointment will be huge!
How many series ending shows have been memerable?

I can only name one out of a long list. But I do hope LOST will not disappoint.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:51 PM

8,306 posts, read 10,768,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
How many series ending shows have been memerable?
That's because most TV shows go on for far longer than they should. The nature of any satisfying story is that it has a beginning, middle, and end. Unfortunately, the nature of TV is that you go on as long as the ratings allow it. It's one of the reasons why so many British TV shows are so much better than American TV.

LOST has been able to maintain such high quality because it isn't driven entirely by plot or "and the conflict of the week is...", but by the inherent nature of the characters.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:59 AM

10,427 posts, read 5,770,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
But he sure looks like the victim of a massive stroke, and anyway, not for any reason I can point to, I'm not entirely buying the airplane crash story.
Serious head trauma is something you might expect in a plane crash. It was a single engine plane, not a tactical fighter, and probably doing 80-90 mph at take-off. The injuries would be very similar to a car accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv
I doubt there is anyone else who even noticed the discrepancies in the hyroglyphics.
Don't under-estimate the "man-in-the-street."

This isn't 1950s America where people will easily buy into stories like "The Amazing Colossal Giant" and mutant grasshoppers and space-ships from Mars. Viewers are more intelligent, more worldly and more sophisticated.

Quote:
If he/she didn't keep talking about it, no one would have even have known.
I take it you don't own the DVD collection.

The commentaries that accompany some of the episodes tell you nothing. They're nothing more than Damon Lindelhack and company fawning over each other with self-congratulatory back-patting. Real nauseating.

But they repeatedly claim that everything was so well researched, when in fact, nothing was researched.

Like Jughead. The AEC was detonating test devices in barges anchored off-shore in 1954, not on the islands, and prior to that when they were detonating the test devices on the islands, the towers were 350 ft fabricated metal, not wood.

Jughead in particular was a liquid cryogenic cooled device. Without a refridgeration plant, the fusion part of the warhead would never work.

I won't even get into the fact that the plastic explosives needed to detonate the plutonium core weigh more than Jack and Hugo put together, or the fact that the 28 kg of plutonium would have killed or incapacitated all of them before they even got to the Swan site.

When the producers admit their research sucks and they were flying by the seat of their pants and had no idea where the show was going, I'll get off their backs.

Quote:
This ain't a history show for crying out loud!
Hey, who says TV can't be educational?

I guess you wouldn't be interested in talking about the [now broken]statue. Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore
I don't suppose that anyone has considered the possibility that Jacob and MIB are not the first set of white/black, light/dark, good/evil on the island?
That's a possibility. We still have the mystery of "Adam and Eve" to solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W.
I just hope the finale will be the kind of quality show I'll want to watch over and over again.
The last two hours of the 4th Season were pretty awesome. It wasn't just the action and dialog, it was the soundtrack, camera work and editing as well. Seriously, in my opinion it was big screen cinematic quality, like you were watching a movie at the cinema show and not a commercial studded TV program.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,527,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Serious head trauma is something you might expect in a plane crash. It was a single engine plane, not a tactical fighter, and probably doing 80-90 mph at take-off. The injuries would be very similar to a car accident.

This isn't 1950s America where people will easily buy into stories like "The Amazing Colossal Giant" and mutant grasshoppers and space-ships from Mars. Viewers are more intelligent, more worldly and more sophisticated.

The commentaries that accompany some of the episodes tell you nothing. They're nothing more than Damon Lindelhack and company fawning over each other with self-congratulatory back-patting. Real nauseating.

But they repeatedly claim that everything was so well researched, when in fact, nothing was researched.

Like Jughead. The AEC was detonating test devices in barges anchored off-shore in 1954, not on the islands, and prior to that when they were detonating the test devices on the islands, the towers were 350 ft fabricated metal, not wood.

Jughead in particular was a liquid cryogenic cooled device. Without a refridgeration plant, the fusion part of the warhead would never work.

I won't even get into the fact that the plastic explosives needed to detonate the plutonium core weigh more than Jack and Hugo put together, or the fact that the 28 kg of plutonium would have killed or incapacitated all of them before they even got to the Swan site.

When the producers admit their research sucks and they were flying by the seat of their pants and had no idea where the show was going, I'll get off their backs.

I guess you wouldn't be interested in talking about the [now broken]statue. Okay.

The last two hours of the 4th Season were pretty awesome. It wasn't just the action and dialog, it was the soundtrack, camera work and editing as well. Seriously, in my opinion it was big screen cinematic quality, like you were watching a movie at the cinema show and not a commercial studded TV program.
I'm not watching Lost for any "educational" value. I'm watching because I love the story, the mystery, and the characters. I don't want to over think when I'm watching, I just want to ENJOY the show! And yes, I have all 5 seasons so far on DVD and have watched them all at least 5 times. I have never gotten the impression that they just made up things as they went along. In my opinion the writers are creative and devious bast***s in their story telling. And I thank them for a wonderful ride.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Have you ever watched "man in the street" shows where they ask simple, everybody should know the answer questions??? OMG! The "average Joe" makes me want to hurl, they are so stupid! Don't get me going on the younger ones either! I cringe in embarassment for the people on the street.

No, I don't. I work too hard on my feet all day.

I love watching PBS, Disc. Science, Disc. Health, History, etc. channels but I choose to watch them and know what I am getting into.

Sure I would! I remember someone, maybe you, talking about before? All I remeber was I think, it's an Egyptian God? Please, I would love to hear it again. See, I don't remember, so I am more than willing to be "taught" again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I'm not watching Lost for any "educational" value. I'm watching because I love the story, the mystery, and the characters. I don't want to over think when I'm watching, I just want to ENJOY the show! And yes, I have all 5 seasons so far on DVD and have watched them all at least 5 times. I have never gotten the impression that they just made up things as they went along. In my opinion the writers are creative and devious bast***s in their story telling. And I thank them for a wonderful ride.
Both you and I, ouijee. I watch the other channels I mentioned when I want to "learn" stuff.

Oh, BTW, Mircea, I realize I sounded pretty biatchy and rude, I apologize for being so. TY for not firing back at me and we can continue to have civilized conversation.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:28 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,629,592 times
so if flocke knew that not everyone on the sub died, howd he not know sayid didnt kill desmond?

Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM

5,760 posts, read 3,855,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
so if flocke knew that not everyone on the sub died, howd he not know sayid didnt kill desmond?
IMO he's referring to Desmond, not the 4 survivors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV