Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
So I see the producers lied about the Purgatory theory.
No they didn't. They always said the island wasn't Purgatory, and it wasn't. Purgatory was their "alternate reality." I'm not even sure you can call it Purgatory. If I remember Purgatory correctly, it's a place you go before Heaven to be purged of your sins. It seemed to me they were more "stuck" in this world and couldn't move on till they were enlightened.

I loved the ending and thought it was beautiful! I lost it when Vincent laid next to Jack as he died. I was excited about this finale but really thought in the end I would be somehow disappointed and wouldn't get the "closure" I felt I needed with the show. I'm glad I was wrong.

Edited to add I don't understand the confusion over the ending. Not all questions were answered, but I think for the most part everything made perfect sense. I just loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:25 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
So I see the producers lied about the Purgatory theory.
No, not really. The events on the island, the gist of the story, were "real". The events in the alternative LA X in this last season are the spiritual middle ground, not really a plot point to the entire island story at all but a good spritual side-ending plot to the entire story. The alternative LA X was probably not conceived of in the first season by the writers.

I hate the term "purgatory" by the way and would not even refer to this alternative middle death/life place as that, I understand the judeo-christian term, but I always picture Purgatory as a place of pain. Some of the characters had relatively comfortable lives (Hurley, etc). I guess there is no other comparable term to use.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
I buying into the fact that they all died but when there time came, not at the plane crash. I have to beleive this or I just wasted over 120 hours of my lifetime. This, as previously stated, is a blatant rip-off of the ending of Titanic...its the first thing I told my wife. I just wish they would have told me what the numbers meant. I thought the epic fight could have been a little better. Glad we got to see Charlie again. Too bad it was just a purgatory, could have been cool to have a spin off for a season or two of Sawyer and Miles in come kind of ABC detective show.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Default Not so l-o-s-t here . . .

NEAT, NEAT concept if you have considered any of the theories out there, especially the theory that life is a continuum running in all directions. Think::Hawkings and some of Einstein's lesser-known theories. There were many subtle allusions to many concepts of death and dying, and the afterlife, and even the notion of purgatory, if you are Catholic, was not far-fetched.

It was conceivable to me, too, that not all of the characters might be there. I think in our last fleeting moments, and that notion of our lives as a 'flash' of sorts, the people who mattered most to us, are in our consciousness and beyond. For me, the show's conclusion was believable, but it does force the viewer to accept alternate belief systems and the possibility of many things we may have never considered before.

I thought it most clever, too, of the writers to pull Jack in at the end, like Jack had been there in the beginning, and the close shots of his eye were most fitting. I could not help but feel that no one survived the crash, in reality, especially when one considers the closing shots of the wreckage of the plane. The scenes with the folks making it off the island seemed more like Jack's wishful thinking, wanting to wrap everything up for himself, before his own death. How difficult would it be to grapple with the idea that everyone you had spent the last-how-many hours of your own life had perished in a split second? I would imagine such thoughts crossing the mind(s) of soldier(s) lying dead on a battlefield, too, in those last moments -- finding solace in thinking someone survived, it hadn't all been for naught.

As for some of the loose ends, not neatly tied up for us LOST fans -- that seems very realistic to me, too. How many times have I awakened from a night's dream that made absolutely NO sense? Very plausible for me to consider some of the storyline's dead ends.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
NEAT, NEAT concept if you have considered any of the theories out there, especially the theory that life is a continuum running in all directions. Think::Hawkings and some of Einstein's lesser-known theories. There were many subtle allusions to many concepts of death and dying, and the afterlife, and even the notion of purgatory, if you are Catholic, was not far-fetched.

It was conceivable to me, too, that not all of the characters might be there. I think in our last fleeting moments, and that notion of our lives as a 'flash' of sorts, the people who mattered most to us, are in our consciousness and beyond. For me, the show's conclusion was believable, but it does force the viewer to accept alternate belief systems and the possibility of many things we may have never considered before.

I thought it most clever, too, of the writers to pull Jack in at the end, like Jack had been there in the beginning, and the close shots of his eye were most fitting. I could not help but feel that no one survived the crash, in reality, especially when one considers the closing shots of the wreckage of the plane. The scenes with the folks making it off the island seemed more like Jack's wishful thinking, wanting to wrap everything up for himself, before his own death. How difficult would it be to grapple with the idea that everyone you had spent the last-how-many hours of your own life had perished in a split second? I would imagine such thoughts crossing the mind(s) of soldier(s) lying dead on a battlefield, too, in those last moments -- finding solace in thinking someone survived, it hadn't all been for naught.

As for some of the loose ends, not neatly tied up for us LOST fans -- that seems very realistic to me, too. How many times have I awakened from a night's dream that made absolutely NO sense? Very plausible for me to consider some of the storyline's dead ends.
They all survived the crash. Everything that happened on the island was real according to Christian. They were all reunited in death because the time they spent together had the biggest impact on their lives, bigger than anything that happened before or after the island. Some died on the island, and some died off the island. Some died long before the others, and some left the island and went on to live full lives. It was a beautiful ending!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:47 AM

407 posts, read 1,735,773 times
They did not all die in the original plane crash. The writing was pretty clear on that. Jack's father clearly says "some died before you some died a long time later" meaning they did not all die together. He also states there is no "now" in the place. They've been waiting for each other to show. When Ben apologizes to Locke it's clear that what happened on the island was real and he needed to account for his actions in life. When Hurley and Ben talk about their life after Jack - "you made a great number 2" they are talking about their real life. As if that wasn't enough the final scene of the airplane on the beach was clear. There were foot prints all around the wreckage and a small camp on the left hand side. They survived and were making a life.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I see people are confused about the last scene of the remains of the plane crash - I took that to just be an artistic shot. A peaceful shot of the remains of the crash site for closure to the show, and also a representation that people have moved on.
No one should misinterpret that as meaning that everyone died in the crash and the last six years were some sort of Dallas TV show inspired "dream". Imagine how depressing that would be. I would be pissed off to...but guys don't read more into a scene than what is there.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM

I'm so glad Ben didn't die a bad guy. he was my favorite character to ever be in any TV show, and I was so happy his character ended the way it did. I'm glad he didn't die and get "stuck" like Michael, and I loved how happy he seemed when Hurley asked him to be his island helper. It's like for the first time in his life he finally felt important.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
There is no purgatory in the series. Who understood it this way go it all wrong, I guess.

Christian said something like "here there is no "now"". Everybody got there on a different time. Some were not even there, as they were still alive (Lapidus, Miles, Richard).

Lucy said it very well.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
So the fact that Hurley and Ben told each other that each other made a good #1 and #2, coupled with Christian saying some died LONG after Jack made me think that Hurley and Ben protected the island for a long time? Then Hurley was reunited with his friends when his protectorship was over? I dunno...

Why didn't Ben go into the Church at the end? I feel like thats an obvious question I am missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV