Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 AM

4,057 posts, read 5,630,793 times

Advertisements

Not ready to "let go"? I know I'm not! I know there will be much criticism of the ending by fans. But I think it might be legendary and there could be Lostie fans that devote themselves to LOST for many years, kind of like the trekkies. Can't wait until the DVD's out on August 24! Where did they say there was a place rented out by Losties for the finale? Ah...did you see those people crying on Kimmel? OMG! Loved what Hurley and Ben were saying outside the church!
You were a good Number One.
And you were a good Number Two!
Or something like that. I'll bet Hurley and Ben were terrific as the Protector of the Light (even though he only reluctantly took it) and the New Richard (for lack of a title that I can remember).
And like Ben told him, he didn't have to stay on the island all the time. I bet Hurley set up the alt timeline for those who had died (even though he himself didn't remember anything after he died and went there...until he got together with Libby).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:08 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,145,868 times
Well, thankfully I DVRd the final episode so I could watch it again. Last night was just overwhelming for my senses. I turned off the tv and was bawling my eyes out and thought I needed to watch it again. So, here I am on the computer having watched the show again and I'm still crying. I know, I know...repeat after me...it's JUST a tv show.

Even though I have watched this show and likely overanalyzed every little nuance, I have decided to just take it at face value and assume that everything that Christian said to Jack last night is true. That everything that happened on the island WAS real and that the people in the church were there because they played an important part in Jack's life. It kind of reminded me of the book, "5 People You Meet in Heaven." I think some of the characters were conspicuously absent (Ana Lucia, Walt, Michael, etc) but the ones who truly shaped Jack's life were there.

When the writers started on this show and were asked about the end, they said they already knew how it would end. I don't think they knew every little character they would develop (they said that Ben was only supposed to be in for 3 epis yet made it through the end), I DO think they knew this show would be Jack's life/flashback/redemption/death.

Christian also said that some of the people in the church died before Jack and some after, so I believe that this last season was basically Jack trying to come to terms with his death. Kate said she had missed him so much which implies to me that it took time for Jack to actually make his way to the church. Plus, the fact that Penny was there meant that it must have taken a while since she hadn't died yet.

Best scene for me last night was Vincent finding Jack in the woods (in the same place he woke up in on the first episode) as he's dying and lying down next to him so that he didn't die alone. I'm a dog lover anyway, but that was a moment. It reminded me of a few things...the first episode when Jack tells the group that they have to work together or they will die alone. The group DID work together, Jack didn't end up dying alone, and when it was time to "move on", he did it with the people who played a part in his redemption.

All in all, I LOVED that episode. I loved the spirituality of it, the numerous symbols in the church, the way everyone's Island life flashed before them and the reuniting of everyone's important person on the island. After 6 seasons of the craziest twists and turns, I honestly can say, as a major fan of Lost, that I woke up today feeling a bit sad but satisfied that it answered some questions, and yet in the tradition of Lost, also left some open for interpretation.

Great, great show. It's a rare show that is so ambitious...it reminded me of a major motion picture instead of just a tv show. It will be interesting to see how many characters (the main ones anyway) who can move on and find another part to play. Ben and Locke, in particular, for me have become their characters and I cannot imagine them playing anyone else.

I also loved the 2-hour recap before the finale. Sawyer has a great sense of humor and it was weird to hear Jin speak English without a bit of an accent and then to hear Sayid speaking so "proper". The writers were great too. I DVRd Jimmy Kimmel because I was totally exhausted and emotionally spent and then woke up this morning to watch it and was totally p-d off that the DVR recorded 1/2 hour of local news and only 1/2 hour of Jimmy. I will have to find the show on-line since it cut off when Claire, Sayid and Jin came out. I would love to see the alternate endings.

Last edited by the3Ds; 05-24-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Ben didn't go in because he hadn't resolved everything yet. He was sticking around because he basically had unfinished business to deal with before he could move on.
Yes! That's the jist of it for me too. I thought it was interesting that everyone in the church had their "moment" when they reunited with another person they knew from the island. I assumed Ben stayed out because he wasn't ready to "go" yet...they implied that there would be a relationship that he builds with Rousseau.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
No they didn't. They always said the island wasn't Purgatory, and it wasn't. Purgatory was their "alternate reality." I'm not even sure you can call it Purgatory. If I remember Purgatory correctly, it's a place you go before Heaven to be purged of your sins. It seemed to me they were more "stuck" in this world and couldn't move on till they were enlightened.
I took the last season (LAX timeline) to be the characters working to find each other. Jack, I think, took the longest since Kate met him and said she had missed him so much and Christian implied that there really is no time. I think the characters all found redemption and were waiting for Jack to get there. It's not purgatory...it was them trying to find each other in order to move on. I loved that the writers implied that no one dies alone. Even Jack, in the island scene, died with Vincent watching over him and in the church, was surrounded by those he cared about.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:27 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,029,152 times
I'm not sure how I feel about the ending yet, I have to watch it again, ALONE! I don't know what possessed my dh to watch it with me last night. He just couldn't keep quiet and was bombarding me with questions about who is that, why did that happen, and best of all, why have you watched this stupidity for 6 years? He's never watched this with me before.

I did feel some redemption when they found Frank and Richard. I let out a loud shout and fist pump(scaring the poor kitty in my lap) and earning a wth look from dh. I will watch again this Thursday when I will have the house to myself. I'm sure I'll enjoy it much better this time.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,976,549 times
Lots of confused people.

Just to clarify, THEY DID NOT DIE IN THE PLANE CRASH. Everything that happened, happened.

They all died at different times whether it be how we saw it happen (i.e. Jack, Libby, Sun, Jin) or later in life (i.e. Sawyer, Claire, Kate, Hurley).

They just all had a place or what some would call an in between or purgatory so they could meet up and spend eternity together.

It wasnt just people from the plane, it was anyone significant to all of them. Some were not there because they had already moved on, were not dead yet, or were not ready to "let go" (i.e. Daniel, Miles, Charlotte, etc).

Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,808,354 times
Hi, Ouijee!

As I posted/you posted before, Richard and Lapidus were alive...

Why in the world would your dh tell you that?!

Thanks, it really helped.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
but why would their version of "purgatory", which Christian said they all created, contain people who were never on the plane, so never met like Penny, Desmond, Juliet, etc? (again, assuming the theory they all died in the crash is true, though I don't agree w/ it)

I agree, I don't want them to be dead, which is why my brain is fully blocking the "they died in the crash and are in purgatory the whole show" idea
Because it wasnt all about the plane crash. There were just as many significant charaters that were never on the plane as there were on it.

Everyone dies at some point. For all we know, Kate, Sawyer, and Claire lived to be over a 100 years old.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Instead of all this guessing about what the ending meant, shouldn't it have just been wrapped up and explained clearly to viewers who watched faithfully for 6 years? Yet here we are guessing "what it all means".

What it all means is the creator and writers came up with a great idea, wrote themselves into a corner but couldn't follow through on a truly mind blowing ending , so we get some confusing Twilight Zone explanation for an ending. Thanks guys. Now go have a party with the Sopranos writers and laugh about how you pulled one over on the fans.

The writers said long ago that only questions concerning the characters would be answered. Anything else such as the meaning of the island would be left in limbo. This show was about the characters, not the island or anything else.

This show is all about mystery and if they would have answered all the questions, it would have went against everything the show is about.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I buying into the fact that they all died but when there time came, not at the plane crash. I have to beleive this or I just wasted over 120 hours of my lifetime. This, as previously stated, is a blatant rip-off of the ending of Titanic...its the first thing I told my wife. I just wish they would have told me what the numbers meant. I thought the epic fight could have been a little better. Glad we got to see Charlie again. Too bad it was just a purgatory, could have been cool to have a spin off for a season or two of Sawyer and Miles in come kind of ABC detective show.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying it is a rip-off of Titanic?

The numbers are insignificant. The numbers didnt have a meaning, they were just numbers given meaning by their usage on the hatch and other places. This show was about the characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV