Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,813,852 times

Advertisements

I would like to know:
1. who were the very first people on the island
2. what the smoke really is and how it originated
3. if the crazy mama was indeed holding "good and evil" inside her, and why she was so adamant about Samuel staying there
4. what the light and the stone (moved by Jack/Desmond) really are and who put the stone there
5. who is Penny's mother
6. all the stuff about the temple where Dogen was (Egyptian writings, water bringing Sayid to life, etc.)
7. why Jacob drove the "hard bargain" on Dogen (he could not bring Isabella back to life, but could bring Dogen's son back in exchange for Dogen going to the island)
8. if they were not dead on the island, and he said he ended up there after having a car accident, how Anthony Cooper got to the island
9. if Smokie cannot leave the island, thus cannot impersonate people off-island, who was Christian when Jack saw him off-island
10. Eloise's connection to the island

Does anybody know that? I might have simply missed something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I would like to know:
3. if the crazy mama was indeed holding "good and evil" inside her, and why she was so adamant about Samuel staying there
4. what the light and the stone (moved by Jack/Desmond) really are and who put the stone there
5. who is Penny's mother
6. all the stuff about the temple where Dogen was (Egyptian writings, water bringing Sayid to life, etc.)
7. why Jacob drove the "hard bargain" on Dogen (he could not bring Isabella back to life, but could bring Dogen's son back in exchange for Dogen going to the island)
8. if they were not dead on the island, and he said he ended up there after having a car accident, how Anthony Cooper got to the island
9. if Smokie cannot leave the island, thus cannot impersonate people off-island, who was Christian when Jack saw him off-island

Many of these questions are not that important to the story and if you got answers to many of them, it would only raise more questions. But, I will give it a shot on some of them:

1. Not important. The story isnt about those people. You could get answers about them but then it would just raise 1000 other questions you would want answers to.

2. It originated when Jacob threw his brother into the light. What it was is not important.

3. Who is Samuel?

4. Dont know the answer and I dont think it is that important

5. Who cares. She wasnt part of the story. We didnt learn how a lot of the characters parents were, it wasnt important to the story.

6. Now you are getting somewhere. The best of the unanswered questions have to do with the Others. I think that is where they went wrong no answering more questions about who they were and what their purpose was.

7. It was already established that Jacob brought people to the island. Dogen was one of those people.

8. I think this one is pretty obvious. The Others hit him with a car and took his unconscious body to the island on the submarine. Much like the way they killed Juliet's ex-husband with the bus.

9. That's a good question

10. She was an Other and not just any Other, she was part of the leadership. The same kind of connection that Ben and Widmore had with the island. Not sure what more you need to know.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,813,852 times
RjRobb2, I completely understand you were not happy about the ending or whatever happened within the series. But you asked "what would you liked to have answered?" and I simply posted about the things I would.

Whether they are important or not, it is just your point of view.
I was just hoping you would realize that whatever is important to you regarding the answers might not be to others and vice-versa. I am just trying to keep a friendly conversation here and honestly think you should go get a decaf.

I don't think "not important/who cares" is an answer to any questions I might have. You obviously don't have to answer anything, and I appreciate it that you took the time to answer them - your way - one by one, but please don't dismiss other viewers this way.

Btw, Samuel is the name they were going to give Mib and for some reason decided not to do it. I read about it, but you are probably going to say "who cares/not important"...

Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
RjRobb2, I completely understand you were not happy about the ending or whatever happened within the series. But you asked "what would you liked to have answered?" and I simply posted about the things I would.

Whether they are important or not, it is just your point of view.
I was just hoping you would realize that whatever is important to you regarding the answers might not be to others and vice-versa. I am just trying to keep a friendly conversation here and honestly think you should go get a decaf.

I don't think "not important/who cares" is an answer to any questions I might have. You obviously don't have to answer anything, and I appreciate it that you took the time to answer them - your way - one by one, but please don't dismiss other viewers this way.

Btw, Samuel is the name they were going to give Mib and for some reason decided not to do it. I read about it, but you are probably going to say "who cares/not important"...
My guess why 'samuel' could not leave is he is the balance with Jacob. Jacob represents the light, his brother the dark. Until Jacob injured him (he did not kill him) and sent him into the cave he was not smoke, so perhaps with the death of the physical body in the cave the smoke became the balance.

I think the point about things being important or not important in a story is does it matter to the telling of the characters experience. This is a very old literary point. If it really matters to the character who a parent was or if the character's parent is central to the plot, then it matters. If it doesn't, then its just extra information. How long has the island been inhabited? Who knows? Likely nobody still there. Who put the plug stone in the cavern? Its an unknown. What matter is it is there and was deliberately made. It appeared to have heiroglyphs on it so perhaps it relates to the age of the statue, but that is a *different story* set in the Lost universe.

If you look at Hurley and Ben, Hurley is a man who by bad luck and numbers you should avoid had a miserable life. But personally he's honorable and positive and filled in a void in the castaways life that pure survival could not. He's the embodyment of the Light. And then Ben, who had done many terrible things, and might again if the circumstances were right, who balances out Hurley. He is the embodyment of dark, but not necessarily evil. I suspect every caretaker has a balance of some kind.

Its possible that Jacob and the MIB's adopted mom was so adament they both remain because she did not and carried both within her.

In our real world we use lots of things which we don't understand. We don't need to or care. At some point, the people on the island simply began to accept that the island is different, not like "the world" and did not need to know the mechanics.

I think one of the cool things with Lost is the unexplained stuff. It lets you come up with your own answers which can be a lot more fun than reading what is pronounced. Have some fun and come up with your own idea of the first inhabitents, or who put the cap on the light, or any number of personal moment. Try writing a story. Share it. Enjoy interacting with others who like Lost.

The shows that wrap up with a neat package are past history pretty quick. The ones that leave lots of places to explore with clues you can take where you will are the ones that people talk about for a long long time.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
like when I was young and in chuch... I would ask..why do people die of starvation and sickness.....because GOD works in mysterious ways, and tests us....I just ate it up because "they" said it was true....when there are much more simple answers out there. Your post cracked me up
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Why wouldn't you want to have centric episodes on Jacob and Richard? Those are the two characters that SHOULD have centric episodes!

Looking back, I think that most of my questions were answered except for the flash-forwards. Shouldn't they have been the flash-sideways since they were happening in 'real' time and not necessarily in the future? What's the deal with Kate's horse? What's the deal with Walt?

And....why was Richard wearing eyeliner?

What do you want answered?

"Richard" was NOT wearing eyeliner. Those gorgeous eyelashes/liner are real and natural.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:55 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,202 times
For those who might be interested, back on May 20, the New York Times held a live interview with Damon and Carlton that was simulcast in theaters across the US and I went to see this. I quite enjoyed it and think others might as well, so I looked for it online and found this site with it posted divided up into smaller parts.

VOTD: Times Talk Live LOST | /Film

Old 06-03-2010, 06:58 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't you want to have centric episodes on Jacob and Richard? Those are the two characters that SHOULD have centric episodes!

Looking back, I think that most of my questions were answered except for the flash-forwards. Shouldn't they have been the flash-sideways since they were happening in 'real' time and not necessarily in the future? What's the deal with Kate's horse? What's the deal with Walt?

And....why was Richard wearing eyeliner?

What do you want answered?
Well, normally I would totally agree because those characters were interesting and important. It is only that the time allotted to those characters for an entire episode giving more info than had to be given (and opening more questions such as who was the lady on the island in the first place) took away from the original plot. It is as though they stretched this out, while skimming over the wrapping up of the actual story line we've been following for the last 6 years. The balance was off.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
I would like to know:
Not sure, but given that the statue and Jacob/MiB are at least 2000 years old, that there were people on the island before them, and that the island moves, and that there was time travel in Season 5, perhaps there were always people on the island?

Jacob through his brother into the Source of the Heart of the Island (aka The Light) and the MiB was somehow transformed into the the Smoke Monster, or a part of the Source combined with him.

Wasn't it Jacob who confined MiB to the island because Jacob believed that it would restrict his darkness?

Who knows, but according to Mother, coming into contact with it is "worse than death."

5. who is Penny's mother
It has never been revealed, or to my knowledge, alluded to. I agree with RjRobb2 that this is an aspect that is irrelevant to the story.

Like I mentioned, the island occasionally moved, so perhaps at one point in time it was next to Egypt. The water symbolized baptism (according to the writers), but Sayid says that it was Locke who brought him back

Dogen felt guilty -and was responsible for-putting his son in the hospital due to his drunk driving. It was Dogen's penitence over the accident that Jacob healed his son (or did he?), brought Dogen to the island, and like everyone who was 'brought' to the island, Dogen had some major baggage to clean out.

Ben told Locke to ask Cooper how he got to the island, to which Cooper said, "Don't you know where we are!?" Cooper believed that he was dead and that the island was hell. This one of many strong points that some theorists believe that the 'survivors' were dead all along.

Presumably, it was Christian himself.

Eloise was a leader of The Others, but she also does not have birth certificate, so it is possible that she was born on the island. She also has powers of precognition and during a flashback in Season 3, told Desmond that He could not marry Penny, that he had to go to the island, and that he had to push the button for three years or else everybody would die. One of the show's main writers/creators says that she was a time-traveler, that it was meant to show to fate/destiny vs. free will, and the scene with her and Desmond in Season 3 was one of the mistakes that they made in the story (although it was only indirectly called a mistake). Also, by 'everyone will die', she meant everyone on the planet.

Interesting stuff.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
"Richard" was NOT wearing eyeliner. Those gorgeous eyelashes/liner are real and natural.
I dunno, the make-up artist claims that he was not wearing eyeliner, but in some scenes his bottom eyelids appear black and more pronounced than in others-to the point of seeming obvious, while in others they seem 'normal'. Could just be the effects of the lighting. There are also some scenes in which his right eye is more pronounced than his left, suggesting that this is a nod to the Egyptian Sun God, and hey, there are Egyptian hieroglyphs and even a statue on the island. Would make sense, no?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
Quote:
I dunno, the make-up artist claims that he was not wearing eyeliner, but in some scenes his bottom eyelids appear black and more pronounced than in others-to the point of seeming obvious, while in others they seem 'normal'. Could just be the effects of the lighting. There are also some scenes in which his right eye is more pronounced than his left, suggesting that this is a nod to the Egyptian Sun God, and hey, there are Egyptian hieroglyphs and even a statue on the island. Would make sense, no?

It would if the actor had not said on Jimmy Kimmel that his eyes are natural. I'm not going to call the guy a liar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV