Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:36 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,976,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
I agree - I think Desmond was still freaking out about getting sick.

P.S. How much did you guys love that song Shot Gun Willie when Dr. Candlewax picked up his baby? Then it started skipping... like the island. That was too funny!
I read around on a couple of sites that always find all these cool things. I never think of it while I'm actually watching the show. The writers must just have genius minds.

I'll be thinking of all of you at 9 PM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,448,216 times
Grrrrrrrrrrr, well i will have to wait until tomorrow to watch lost because our local channel is have a college Basketball game on instead and will show lost at 1:05am

Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,671,498 times
Sorry if this has been posted already:

'Lost': Doc Jensen on the set! A visit to Ben's house, a chat with Sawyer, and more in part 1 of our behind-the-scenes video series | Video | Totally 'Lost' | Entertainment Weekly

Very informative and entertaining for all us Lost addicts...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 PM

825 posts, read 2,812,184 times
Default Charles Widmore

Big revelation in Jughead about Ben's rival. Very interesting.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,349,099 times
Okay - another head spinning episode.
Please share your theories about Faraday and Charlotte/Theresa. I'm super confused about that one.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,307,769 times
I couldn't wait to post! some quick mini-theories and comments (and a lot of early morning ramblings):

-Jug Head definitely blew up, likely as they were trying to stabilize it, and THAT was the "Incident" oft spoken about. it obviously wasn't bad enough to destroy the island, but it did some damage. perhaps the explosion made the electromagnetic field unstable and that's why they had to keep pushing the button. which brings me to my 2nd point...

-I'll admit, my immediate reaction after the show was, "what was the point of the bomb since we know it didn't blow up the island?" then it clicked in my head, not only the above theory, but the obvious conclusion that the American military (or people posing as the American military...) knew the location of the island, which is a major deal! do they still know? I mean, aren't they wondering what the heck happened to their men and the massive H bomb they left behind? maybe these people were behind the "freckage" if it wasn't Ben or Widmore (god forbid someone finds the island while looking for the 815ers and discovers the US was testing H-bombs there)

-Widmore being on the island brings up so many interesting points. I'd need to check their jumpsuits again, but was he a DHARMA worker or an Other? I suppose he was a member of the former, like Juliet, and if so, DHARMA has been around much longer than the orientation videos have led us to believe. and if DHARMA didn't exist back then, what group is Widmore a part of? and why and how did he arrive on and leave the island (he seemed to imply that he knew the island very well, almost as if he had lived there all his life...)

-I like how Desmond's son was named Charlie. sweet way to remember our Charlie (who was instrumental into connecting Des w/ Penny in the Looking Glass Station). as a side note, that childbirth scene made me queasy . way to much screaming...

-is there anyone that didn't go "aaaawwwwwww" when Daniel professed his love for Charlotte? sucks that she's go the same thing Minkowski(sp) had. I wonder who her constant would be...

-the show is juggling a lot of kids now. Aaron, Ji-Yeon, Walt (okay, so he's probably like 6'5" and may not be considered a "kid" anymore, but he's still a minor actor hopefully still involved in the show), Chang's baby (granted, no telling if we'll ever see him again, but I still think it was Miles), and now little Charlie

-who was the blond lady in the photo w/ Daniel that Des found in Oxford? was that Theresa? what was Daniel's connection w/ Theresa? the way her sister said "what sort of man would leave like that" makes me think that Daniel and involved w/ this woman

-I need to go back and watch "Cabin Fever" again now that we know why Richard was at the hospital when John was born and why he gave John that test when he was little. but it does beg the question, is Locke the wrong leader? didn't he technically fail the test? is the reason why everything went wrong not because the Oceanic 6 left, but b/c Locke was the wrong leader in the first place (or maybe, one of the O6 is the real leader and, by leaving, messed everything up)

-"You just couldn't stay away, could you?" I don't even know what to make of this statement, so I'm just going to leave it alone for now...

Old 01-29-2009, 06:09 AM

4,489 posts, read 3,990,283 times
Good episode to be sure.

I doubt that the bomb and "the incident" are related. If that bomb had blown up, it would have killed everyone and made the Island so radioactive that it would have been uninhabitable for years to come. As for "the incident", when Desmond was with Kelvin and asking about the Swan station, what was behind the wall, and why the button was being pushed. Kelvin said "Electromagnetism, geologically unique. The incident...there was a leak. So now the charge builds up and every time we push the button it discharges it before it gets too big."

As to the U.S. and the Island, they may well have first run across the Island during World War II. As Daniel stated, in the 1950's the U.S. was testing nuclear bombs in the South Pacific. They probably decided that the Island was a good place to test one. Perhaps they didn't come looking for the bomb because they couldn't find the Island again because it moved. I believe that the statement "You just couldn't stay away, could you?" is merely a reference to Richard and his people thinking that more Americans had arrived on the Island after being told to leave.

Charles Widmore...I had to laugh when it was revealed that "Jones" was Widmore. In my earlier post I remarked on the Australian accent and the fact that Widmore has one too. I thought there must be a connection, but didn't stop to think that they were one in the same. Oh well. As to what Widmore was at this point in time (1954), he would actually be classified as one of "the Hostiles". The term "the Others" was what Rousseau used to describe the people that she had encountered when she and her group arrived on the Island. "The Others" at that point were a combination of Richard's "Hostile" group and the people that Ben recruited after the DHARMA purge.

The uniforms that Jones/Widmore and the other people wore had no insignia on them at all, other then name patches. Again, it's 1954. DHARMA was founded in 1970 and didn't come into existence on the Island until 1975. It's funny that Widmore says he knows the Island better then anyone. I would think that given how long Richard has been around, he would know it like the back of his hand. Regardless, it implies that Widmore has been on the Island since before 1954. If we use Miles comment to Charlotte as a guide, then Widmore was off the Island by 1984. Maybe the Island had to be moved in 1984 and he was the one that moved it?

The woman in the photo seemed to match the woman in the bed so it must be Theresa. I think that Theresa may have been, either by accident or design, Daniel's first human test subject in his experiment to time travel one's consciousness like he was doing with Eloise the rat. It seems like her consciousness is still time traveling because as her sister said "Sometimes, she wakes up, thinks she's 3, wants to know where her dolly is. Yesterday, she was talking to our dad. He died five years ago."

I think the more important thing coming out of this encounter is the revelation that not only has Widmore has been paying for Theresa's medical care, but that he was funding Daniel's time travel research at Oxford. Think about it...if Daniel's research had been successful, the process could have been used by Widmore to go into the past and undo whatever it was that made him lose his control over the Island. He could have gone back and stopped Ben from purging DHARMA or any number of things.

This leads to something else. Daniel's mother is in Los Angeles. Ms. Hawking is hanging out with Ben in Los Angeles. So unless the writers are going to throw one major curve ball at us, doesn't this pretty much confirm that Ms. Hawking is Daniel's mother? But add to that one more thing. Ms. Hawking is working with Ben. Daniel was/is/was working for Widmore. Mother and son working for opposite sides in a war that has been going on for years. Wonder how that's going to be resolved.

I don't believe that Locke is the wrong leader. When little John Locke failed the test, all that Richard said was "I'm afraid that John isn't quite ready for our school." But remember that Dr. Richard Alpert of Mittelos Labs tried to get 16 year old John Locke to attend their "science camp". That would have occurred in 1970, the same year DHARMA was founded. However, Mittelos doesn't appear to be affiliated with DHARMA at all. It looks more like it was a front company used by Richard to recruit "Hostiles" for the Island. After the purge, it was used by Richard and Ben to recruit "Others", like Juliet. Remember also that one of the things that confirmed John's leadership status was his ability to finally see and hear Jacob. Up to that point, only Ben could see and hear Jacob. So no, things don't go wrong because John is the wrong leader, they go wrong because the Oceanic 6 left. As John constantly tried to convince Jack, it was their destiny to be on that Island and they were never supposed to leave. Their departure has thrown off some kind of balance in the world and if they don't return, everything is going to go to hell in a hand basket.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,158,788 times
That episode was awesome!!! Excellent observations eevee and TonyT.

I thought of another connection - this time between Ellie, the chick that had the gun on Daniel. Ellie - short for Eloise, Eloise Hawking??? Daniel even said she reminded him of... then Ellie says, "don't even think about it". Ellie is Daniels mom. Even better, what if Widmore (Jones) is his dad?

Also, when Desmond visits Theresa. Is Theresa the same one that "falls up the stairs and falls down the stairs" from Boone's childhood? Is that why she's paralyzed? Maybe someone from Dharma made her fall???

Wacky stuff!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 AM

4,489 posts, read 3,990,283 times
Just thought of two more things:

The speaking of Latin. Juliet said all the Others spoke it because it's "Others 101. Gotta learn Latin...language of the enlightened". But is it maybe something a bit more? We've seen hieroglyphics on the Island. Now we find out that the Hostiles/Others learned to speak Latin. Does that mean that the original inhabitants of the Island were from a time when either one or both those forms of communicating were in use?

The look on Locke's face when he finds out that Jones is Widmore. Is that a look of "So you're my future enemy" or one of "If I had shot you, none of this would have even happened"?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 AM

9,925 posts, read 14,268,963 times
A great episode last night!

Couple thoughts:
I think the bomb will be found to be buried somewhere on the island.
I bet Charles Whitmore is Jacob's son. Who is Jacob? That's the question...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV