Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I think we won't see much time with the French team or else Jin's going to meet up quickly with his group. That would leave Danielle's team with only a short glimpse and so much else is happening. Recall that Danielle ends up killing her team as they all become sick..?

I could be wrong and we might see more Jin interaction with the Frech team, however that would then leave Danielle with more of a memory to take in. I'd kind of like to re-watch most of Danielle's scenes to see if she and Jin interact and if we saw her react as such.

Either way the show will account for it, they always do.
I've heard that we would be getting more of Danielle's back story, so it seems like this is it. I've been thinking it over for a while now, and I don't think Danielle and Jin have ever met up close. the only time I can think of where they may have come close is at the end of the 3rd season when Danielle takes the group to the radio tower, however Jin didn't even go w/ that group, he stayed behind w/ Bernard and Sayid, so there's still a chance he never met Danielle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,466 times
I miss coming here and discussing Lost. this OT thing is killing me lol

OMG.. Jin!! And I totally knew that was Danielle's people when I heard 'em speak french.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 AM

4,699 posts, read 4,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Hey Tony; doesn't Ben have access to the outside "future" world via the boob tube? Remember? The Red Sox? So wouldn't he know about the crash, the fact that a Doc is on board, and that Widmore and his gang are gonna come lookin' for his Island?
At the point time of the crash, Ben has access to the outside world via the Flame station. Ben and Juliet go to the Flame after the crash of 815 to see Mikhail. Upon arriving the following exchange takes place:

Mikhail: "Did you see it?"

Ben: "A plane fell out of the sky, Mikhail. Of course we saw it. What do you have so far?"

Mikhail: "Oceanic Flight 815. Left Sydney headed for Los Angeles, 324 people onboard including the flight crew."

Ben: "I want detailed files on every single passenger."

Mikhail: "Already working on it."

After this, Ben then has Mikhail go to a live feed in Miami so that he can prove to Juliet that her sister Rachel is indeed alive and seemingly cancer free. The person manipulating the camera turns out to be Richard. At the end, Ben says: "OK, thank you Richard. You'll wanna get back here as soon as you can, we may have some new visitors."

Unless this was all a bluff on Ben's part, he didn't seem to know any of the specifics of the plane and flight until told my Mikhail. Files for all the passengers are needed because he wants to know the identities of everyone on it so he can cross check them against the lists that were to be made by Ethan and Goodwin should they find survivors. One of the files is eventually shown to Juliet by Mikhail weeks after the crash and that is when she is aware that a surgeon, Jack, is one of the survivors and that he could do the surgery needed to remove Ben's spinal tumor. She then relays that to Ben.

As for Widmore, I don't think it has been made clear as yet when Ben finds out that Widmore is close to finding the Island. Since there are obviously people off the Island providing a constant stream of information to Ben, he must have people watching Widmore. The crash of 815 may have prompted Widmore's recent search or more likely it was the implosion of the Swan station and the resulting massive electormagnetic pulse which finally unmasked the Island and allowed the location to be pinpointed.

Now to the question of Jacob's List. The truth is we don't really know what the list is. It's been talked about and assumed it is a list of people approved by Jacob as being either good or having value to the Island. It is revealed that Kate is not on the list because she is "flawed". Sayid isn't on the list because he is "weak and frightened". Locke supposedly is not on it because he is "angry". Jack was never on the list either. Yet now, Locke is the leader of the Others per Jacob, and Jack, Kate, and Sayid must return to the Island in order to save it and those left behind. So then does Jacob's List change and evolve based on events or the actions and deeds of people that come into contact with the Island? Can one in a sense, redeem themselves in Jacob's eyes and earn a place on his list?

As for Sawyer, he was on a list but not Jacob's List. Rather his name and that of Hurley, were on the list given to Michael by Bea Klugh. These were the ones Michael was to bring to the Others in order to get Walt back. That doesn't seem to have anything to do with Jacob. Instead it was part of Ben's larger plan to get Jack to agree to perform his spine surgery.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:27 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
and that is when she is aware that a surgeon, Jack, is one of the survivors and that he could do the surgery needed to remove Ben's spinal tumor...
Yeah but what about the fact that not only is there a doc that survived the crash, but a spinal surgeon at that? Did Ben at least pray for one in his Now I Lay Me Down To Sleeps? What about the variance in time between the island at the time of the crash and off-the-island time? I thought that the Tube was displaying the futcha, Brotha!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah but what about the fact that not only is there a doc that survived the crash, but a spinal surgeon at that? Did Ben at least pray for one in his Now I Lay Me Down To Sleeps? What about the variance in time between the island at the time of the crash and off-the-island time? I thought that the Tube was displaying the futcha, Brotha!
I don't know...good fortune, providence, destiny? The Island can make sick people well. Ben needed a spinal surgeon and the Island or Jacob made sure he got one? I suspect that when the series wraps up the reason why everything has unfolded as it has will be revealed. Least I hope so.

Future? Naw, not in this case I don't think. As per Daniel's rocket test the variance in time is only 31 minutes or at least was prior to the Island moving. When Daniel does his test he is in direct contact with Regina on the freighter. There is no delay in their exchange over the satellite phones. The video monitors at the Flame station were showing live feeds of reports about the loss of Flight 815. Also, the link from Miami was real time because Ben was telling Richard what to do and you could see him doing it. Regardless of the difference in time between the Island and the outside world, it doesn't seem to have any impact on electronic communication.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:28 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
imagine guys that the people on the boat that was following Sawyer and Juliet and shooting at them were actually the Oceanic 6? If that was the case, we would see their perspective in further episodes. It of course is far fetched, but I just thought I'd throw an idea outthere.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:21 PM

But I thought we'd established that by pressing the button every 108 seconds, they've kept the island behind the times, so to speak. So when the plane crashed in 2004 in the off the island time, what year is it on the island?

The Freighter's proximity to that special bearing made it almost synchronized to island time, or so I thought, by some 30 minutes by that rocket of Faraday's, but how about the doc from the boat who washed ashore? Wasn't it a few days off?

I thought that the Island was stuck in 96 or something like that, and thus at a time when Rose didn't have cancer, Locke didn't have two busted sticks, etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
But I thought we'd established that by pressing the button every 108 seconds, they've kept the island behind the times, so to speak. So when the plane crashed in 2004 in the off the island time, what year is it on the island?

The Freighter's proximity to that special bearing made it almost synchronized to island time, or so I thought, by some 30 minutes by that rocket of Faraday's, but how about the doc from the boat who washed ashore? Wasn't it a few days off?

I thought that the Island was stuck in 96 or something like that, and thus at a time when Rose didn't have cancer, Locke didn't have two busted sticks, etc.
That hasn't been established at all. Someone on a "Lost" fan site floated a theory that the purpose of pushing the button was to keep the Island in a time loop where it was permanently 1996. The main problem I see with this "time loop" theory is that if you're looping time, you aren't suspending or freezing time. In a loop you would simply repeat the same day over and over again. In this case, every 108 minutes your "day" would begin again. Events would never advance, nothing would ever change. Whatever you did 108 minutes in the past, you would do again and again and again for infinity. You would never see Flight 815 crash because it never crashed from the point that you started pushing the button. And if you buy into the theory that the temporary failure to push the button allowed the Island to pierce the magic 1996 time bubble, would the plane crash not then become part of the Island's timeline? So when the button is again pushed, you would see 815 crash over and over again. Or better yet, if our survivors were never on the Island in 1996, how could they relive events that they never experienced in the first place?

Daniel Faraday explained how time works to Sawyer this way: "Time...it's like a street, alright? We can move forward on that street, we can move in reverse, but we cannot ever create a new street. If we try to do anything different, we will fail every time. Whatever happened, happened." And that is what is happening to the survivors left on the Island. They are moving back and forth on the street of time, but the Island isn't. They are experiencing past, present and future. No new streets are being created.

Theories are great. I've floated a few of them myself on this thread. Sometimes they were right and sometimes dead wrong. But they were fun just the same. I give the person who came up with the "time loop" theory credit because they certainly put a lot of time and effort into it. And it is quite possible the some elements of it are accurate. However, I believe that overall the truth of what is happening and has happened is far less complicated and convoluted then they have made it.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Well that's part of what I love about this show, is when old theories are debunked and made out to be some fairly simple explanation, but still one that shocks us!

I like the "string" or "street" of time theory, but what about the Dharma guy that Locke came across that kept cutting down the tree? He seemed to be stuck in some kind of loop and was maybe the first time I can remember seeing a nose bleed. (Add: maybe this is what happens to you prior to getting a nose bleed!)

I can't recall in my head now all of the "theories" that are correct and the ones that aren't. For instance, remember the theory that some of the bunch were actual "time travelers"? And why only some?

OK, I would like to see an updated "time LINE" that was accurate from what we seem to know by what's been revealed thus far, and one that doesn't entail spoilers.

But in the mean time, I'll just try to digest this show one hour at a time.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Regardless of time travel theory, Richard is somewhere drinking from a "fountain of youth". Why is he the only one not aging?

What mode of transportation does a Richard Apne use to go from point A to point B after the Submarine has been 86'ed? What mode of transportation drops Ben into the middle of the desert?

I'm thinking that the Numbers Hatch was releasing the deteriorating radiation in small doses, and that is where Jughead was kept behind all the concrete they were finding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV