Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,307,769 times

Advertisements

gotta go to work NOW, so some real quick things:

-RIP Charlotte. I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of her personality, but she had such an interesting back story and I don't like to see Daniel cry . of course, given how much the Island is skipping (and I don't think it's going to stop completely now that Locke has left the Island, it may just slow down), I'm sure we'll see young Charlotte soon enough. anyone remember the creepy white guy Jin saw in the bathroom, the guy that spoke Korean to him and told him he could never get away from Paik? wasn't that guy a redhead too? hmm, any connection to Charlotte at all?

-I LOVE that we finally got the info on Montag and his arm! I remember thinking about that way back in Season 1. not sure how much more we're going to get on Danielle and her journey, but it was nice to see that final confrontation between her and Robert. so was the hole Smokey dragged Montag into part of the Temple? I'll have to check that out again, but it looks like it could be. question is, where are the other Others? underground? also really curious about what happened to those guys when they went down the hole and why Robert tried to shoot Danielle. brainwashed?

-I loved the scene when Ben just gets really frustrated and slams on the brakes to confront Jack and Sun. I kind of feel bad for him if he is on the good side now. He seemed shocked that Hawking was Daniel's mother (I really doubt any viewers were however)

-was I the only one completely freaked out by Christian Shepherd meeting Locke? that guy is creepy as hell! so does this conclude that Christian is Jacob, or is Christian just a "skin" Jacob is wearing? was he right in saying theat Locke was the one who was supposed to leave, or is that just the Island playing games w/ Locke's head. anyone noticed how loose the frozen donkey wheel was? I assume the jerking movements in was making is the reason why the Island was skipping, but wouldn't Locke leaving the Island make it worse? is that way it was caked in ice in the first place? I wonder what would happen if an animal (polar bear?) was hooked up to it and kept it continuously moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,153,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
That was a fun episode.

Finally...we get to see the Temple. More of those hieroglyphics on it that we have seen elsewhere, including on the countdown clock at the Swan station. And how about that, under the Temple is the home of Cerberus AKA the smoke monster. So Smokey guards the Temple. But what exactly is the function of the Temple that it would need to be guarded? Ben referred to it as "the last safe place on the Island". Is that because of Cerberus or something else located there? And why didn't Jin mention to Locke and company anything about his encounter with young Danielle Rousseau and having been at a place where the smoke monster seemed to live?

Locke's encounter with Christian Shepard was enlightening. Locke literally was supposed to move the Island. He was meant to turn the wheel, not Ben. Guess Ben pulled a fast one on Locke again. Christian said the wheel was off it's axis and we see it moving back and forth as Locke approaches it. Was the wheel being off it's axis the real cause of the jumps back and forth in time? Will they stop now? Perhaps not because Charlotte was fairly certain that Daniel was the "scary" man that told her as a child to leave the Island and never return or she would die. We haven't seen that yet so does that mean that the jumps will continue?

So long Charlotte, we hardly knew you. She never explained how it was that she spoke Korean.
My thought on this was that she was raised on the Island, we now know, and there is at least some reason to believe Miles was also -- his nosebleeds (reliable indicator of having been on the Island before), his resemblance to Dr. Candlewax, the fact that Candlewax obviously has a baby, Daniel's comment/question to him along the lines of "Are you sure [you've never been here before]?" It's possible that she learned Korean from Dr. Candlewax, although why Miles obviously did not do so (e.g., "I'm from Encino") is not explained.

Quote:
Charles Widmore knew where Ms. Hawking was. Therefore I would think he knows that she's at an apparent DHARMA station. If she, by utilizing the equipment located there, can locate the Island, why hasn't Widmore just gone to her to find "his" Island? Or did he? Or is there something in the "rules" of the game that he and Ben are playing that prevents him from doing this?

Damn you "Lost" writers, you make me think too much sometimes.
Or are Widmore and Mrs. Hawking in collusion? After all, Widmore's evidently been funding Daniel's research -- and it's clear, I think, that Daniel is continuing his mother's own research or is working parallel to it.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 PM

4,494 posts, read 3,990,283 times
First I need to correct myself. I went back through the episode and the comment that Charlotte made about "marrying an American" was in reference to herself and what her mother would say to her. So my thought that Charlotte's father might be American appears to be incorrect.

The fact that Charlotte was raised on the Island has been eluded to prior to her finally admitting it to Daniel. While it's possible that she could have learned Korean from Dr. Chang, that assumes that Dr. Chang is Korean. Chang is indeed a Korean surname but it is a Chinese surname as well.

Miles could very well be Dr. Chang's son and he could have spent some time on the Island as evidenced by the nosebleeds. If he is Chang's son, I suspect that he was sent off the Island at a very young age as he seems to have no recollection of being there. More then likely the comment about Encino refers to where he actually grew up. Remember too that Miles name is Miles Straume. While that could be fake, it may be instead that he was taken off the Island by his mother, just like Charlotte was, and his mother became involved with a man named Straume and took his name. Or maybe a baby Miles was sent away to be raised by people other then his family in order to protect him. Eventually we will get the back story on Miles and know the truth.

In the "Jughead" episode, the way that young Charles Widmore spoke so familiarly with "Ellie" indicates the possibility of a personal relationship. If "Ellie" from the Island happens to be Eloise Hawking, then just maybe Charles Widmore is Daniel's father. Maybe. Then the reason for Widmore funding Daniel's research could be twofold; he is doing it because it is his son, and, as I hypothesized before, he thinks Daniel's research may provide him a way to get back to "his" Island. And it is possible that Ms. Hawking and Widmore are collaborating, but in a way I doubt it. It seems to me that helping Ben accomplish anything would run counter to Widmore's interests.

Christian Shepard isn't Jacob. When Locke first met Christian he asked if Christian was Jacob. Christian responded "No. But I can speak on his behalf". And yes, when he told Locke "You have to move the Island" he meant that Locke was the one that was supposed to do it, not Ben.

What would happen if a polar bear was hooked up to the donkey wheel and it was moved continuously? The likely result would be the Island moving endlessly from place to place. As we can see what at least one side effect of moving the Island is (individuals being dislodged from time), doesn't seem like it would be a very good idea to keep that wheel spinning constantly. No, that wheel is in a cold, frozen place for a very good reason. Now, the whole polar bear carcass in the desert in Tunisia...the likely explanation is that before trying to time travel or teleport a human off the Island, they experimented with animals instead, in this case a polar bear.

In going back over last night's episode, something stuck out. When they got to the Orchid, after it disappeared they went to the well. Around the well were the remains of a structure built much like and out of the same material as the Temple. I didn't notice any hieroglyphics though. To my recollection, this would make the Orchid the second DHARMA structure built in proximity to one of these ancient ruins. Back at the Barracks, built by DHARMA, in Ben's cabin behind that secret panel in the closet is part of a wall covered in hieroglyphics. That's where he went to call Cerberus out to go after Keamy and his men. DHARMA didn't put these two structures where they were just by accident. They must have known much more about the true nature of the Island and it's previous inhabitants then they let on. Where did they get that information? Does there knowledge have some relation to the Black Rock and the Hanso family?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,307,769 times
ah right, I forgot that Christian had told Locke before that he wasn't Jacob. I wonder why Jacob/the Island always uses Christian's body (I'm assuming he's corporeal since he was holding Aaron, though I don't know why he didn't help Locke get up. or maybe he can only touch his own kin?) to communicate w/ Locke. does it have to do w/ his body being on the plane? and if so, does that mean Locke will be similarly reanimated when his body gets back to the Island?

I hope we'll soon get the episode about the first time DHARMA stepped foot onto the Island. I'd like to know why the original inhabitants allowed DHARMA to use the Island the way they did (ie, building stations everywhere) when it seems like they want to keep the Island's property a secret. the only thing I can think of is that one of the original inhabitants left the Island and wnet on to create DHARMA. or maybe one of the original inhabitants left the Island and aligned themselves w/ Hanso and DHARMA (*cough*Widmore*cough*)

Old 02-13-2009, 02:27 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,676,311 times
Loved Wednesday's episode! Too tired to add much right now but wanted to mention my favorite part being the reunion of Sawyer and Jin. I love that Sawyer is really starting to care about these people!

Lucy

Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 PM

635 posts, read 1,682,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yeah but what about the fact that not only is there a doc that survived the crash, but a spinal surgeon at that? Did Ben at least pray for one in his Now I Lay Me Down To Sleeps? What about the variance in time between the island at the time of the crash and off-the-island time? I thought that the Tube was displaying the futcha, Brotha!
rotfl!!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,824,089 times
So who is Jacob's son? Desmond? Loved the last episode of Lost....

Old 02-15-2009, 08:11 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,567,111 times
Abaddon and Walt returns this season in "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

"Lost" The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham (2009)

Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,059,538 times
ooh that sounds like a good title!

ps. how creepy did Charlotte look before she died?? Whoa.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 AM

17,930 posts, read 27,342,617 times
Ummm... pretty creepy! Because... This Place is Death!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV