Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,341 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! LOVE the show. A few comments.

I don't know what it is about Locke but my heart just goes out to him whenever they have flashbacks when he's in the wheelchair. His whole life story was so touching. I really liked the when him and Jack were talking in the airport. Anyway...

What is up with that flight attendant? Who is she in all this? She was the one who said "they were on the first flight oceanic 815"..so where there other planes that have crashed?
When Sayid was "dead" Miles heard something from him? Wonder what that was?

Someone passed on a Lost webiste called Lostpedia.com it's pretty intense for those really intetested. They are really smart on that site and freeze frame and analyze everything.

The best line of the night was when Jacob told Hurley he was killed an hour ago and Hurly said " Duke, sorry that sucks"!!! Gotto love Hurley!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Penny is on Flash Forward now.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
As pointed out by others, I don't think Jacob and the Man in Black represent God and the Devil at all. But what if they are actually representations of Free Will and Destiny, which is the major theme of the show? Maybe that's why the MiB could never "kill" Jacob - Destiny "killing" Free Will is a paradox that the Universe can't tolerate.

In the last episode of season 5, the MiB asks Jacob (while they watch the Black Rock approach the island) "Still trying to prove me wrong, aren't you?" A reference to the eternal argument about destiny vs. free will? Maybe. Then the MiB talks about "how it all ends the same." That's seems to be destiny talking. Jacob responds with "It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress." That seems to be a free will approach.

Ben is enlisted by fake Locke to kill Jacob. Perhaps it's a loophole in the sense that Locke needed a follower of Jacob to freely and willingly kill him.

But hey, who knows? Anything can seem to happen in Lost-land.
man I think you solved the puzzle man...it all makes sense...thats why DESTINY told those followers how "disapointed he was in them" Although, its still doesnt explain why he turns into smokey....but many other things get explained.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
New Locke is the smoke monster but is also Jacob's enemy from last season. Therefore, Jacob's enemy was also the smoke monster. I thought that was established last season.

Where is this all going? My thought is that Jacob and his enemy are meant to represent God and the Devil. God is bringing people to the island to help them but most people can't accept that just on faith so they wind up in trouble. The Devil knows they are flawed and attacks or tries to corrupt them.

Jacob probably took over Sayed's body the way the other took over Lockes.

I am wondering if Richard was a prisoner a long time ago when he was brought to the island. Or if chains was meant to represent his loyalty to Jacob.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Locke if Jack can repair his spine. I also noticed Desmond's disappearance but thought it was weird he was on the plane in the first place. I am already hungry for more so they are doing their job.
Just as Charlie appeared on the plane, Desmond was nowhere to be seen. It looked like everyone connected to the island is on that plane. But somehow they've taken something with them too. Rose was calm and peaceful, with no fear of flying. Jack was nervous, and it was almost as if he was afraid the turbulance would happen and the plan would still not make it back. It was as if some of them were the same people who had changed on the island but were in the past.

The statue appeared to be underwater but the whole island? And when they came too, Jack and the others were above the blown up Swan with Juliet caught as if she had been transported in place somehow. So unless they are not in the exact timeline as the watery feet, that part is fine.

All of the characters *found* each other on the plane or after landing too. Jack and Locke, looking like a different kind of cure. And though Claire did not come back with her brother, when Kate takes the cab Claire is in the cab????

Oh yeah, can't wait for more. And gotta watch it a couple more times for more clues.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
-I am waiting for the inevitable Jin/Sun reunion since we know from the flare gun going off that they are in the same time line.
-I wonder, when the bomb went off, if all the 815ers flashed too, including Bernard, Rose, and Vincent

-Claire's back! now that she's preggers again in the alt time line, I wonder about that crazy psychic from S1. I assumed there were on adoptive parents in LA and the only reason he told her so was to get her on 815
-I think a lot more was on that not than what the Asian guy (don't even know his name) let on. obviously another list considering he asked them for all their names, but a list for what? and did Jacob, when he gave Hurley the guitar case, foresee these events, including his own death?

way too many questions to ask now! head hurts!
I did a big double take when Claire showed up in the taxi. She didn't come back with her brother but???? huh???? Its as if two references can't both be true in the same timeline.

It was sad when Jin abruptly lectures Sun to button her shirt. She has him back but certainly not the Jin who had broken free of his life. Will she ever get him in that timeline?

With the psych it has bothered me from the time Kate took the child with her after Claire dissapeared, that he was very serious about it being necessary for her and only her to raise the child.... hope we see something about that before the LAST HOUR.

But I'm loving the mystery too. Time travel/multiple timelines can be very interging and stimulating and fun.

What has to be remembered about restoring an event is no matter how careful and how precise, peoples actions and thoughts are based on such complex things that it can never be recreated exactly, but will make yet another alternate reality It can be so close it would be hard to tell the difference but something must be.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Claire and Boone were not brother and sister. I made the same mistake too, it was Shannon who died awhile ago that was Boone's sister.

I thought there were some key characters that were missing. Michael and his son, the people from the other side of the island were missing.

I am happy it is the last season, and very excited to see how they wrap it up. It was a great episode!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 AM

132 posts, read 225,469 times
I think the purpose of the island being underwater in the alternate timeline, and Desmond being on the plane, was to show how the Oceanic 815 passengers didn't realize that detonating the bomb had more impact then just keeping their plane from crashing. Since they detonated in 1977, if the island was underwater, it never would have existed for Desmond to be on. Or something.

I love this show. But every forum I visit about it has posters with 100 different questions from the last or next forum I visit. And they all seem to fly in the face of any reasonable end-game for the series. It worries me. I don't think that Lindelof/ABC can possibly wrap up all the loose ends they've created. So I only hope they get the big ones.

Great return episode last night.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 AM

4,688 posts, read 4,038,319 times
Well it's nice to be able to write about Lost again after all this time. So here we go:

There is only one timeline. There has always only been one timeline. What we have been seeing since last season is the 815ers appearing at different points on the timeline; past, present, and future if you get technical.

The explosion of the nuke simply ended the section of the timeline that they had traveled back to. In doing so, they changed their futures, but more specifically, the futures of the people they would grow up to be from that point in time in the 1970's. So the Jack, Kate, Sawyer, etc., we see on the plane landing at LAX, aren't the same ones that we see waking up around the imploded Swan station. Instead, what we are seeing is a September 2004, where an Island no longer exists because it was blown up and sunk back in the 1970's. No Island means no plane crash, so all involved are seen living out their lives as they would have.

This has no effect on the Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and so on, who are sent forward in time to the site of the destroyed Swan station. Why? Well, for one, because they have rejoined the timeline basically where they left it when they got on the Ajira Airways flight to get back to the Island in the first place, which was in 2007. But more importantly, these people had already advanced down the part of the timeline where the Island existed, where there was a DHARMA, where there was a plane crash. As Daniel Faraday said, the past is the past. And in this case, that was their past, it happened as it did, and there's no way to change it.

So, when Miles tells Sawyer that Juliet's last words were "It worked", she means that they prevented the plane from crashing in 2004. That means that Sawyer never goes to the Island, which is what Juliet wanted. It also means that since there hasn't been an Island since the 1970's, Juliet never goes to the Island either. Somewhere in the world, in 2004, Juliet is alive and well.

This is also the probable explanation as to why Locke's knives are missing and the coffin with Jack's father is as well. Since there was no crash, Locke will not miraculously walk again and need the knives to hunt on the Island as he did. No Island means no need for Christian Shepard to be reanimated in order to communicate the Island's wishes to Locke or anyone else. Since the Island isn't there and they don't need to go back to it anyway, his body is not required to act as the link to return them there.

As to who is alive in the "Island free" 2004, my guess would be some of the following: Charlotte, Penny, Desmond, Ana Lucia, Libby, Mr. Ecko, Goodwin, Tom, and most if not all of the people that Ben recruited to the Island when he took control of it. Charles Widmore, Eloise Hawking, Daniel Faraday, Richard, and Ben should all be dead, since all were on the Island when it was destroyed. However, in 2007 where everyone is now, Widmore and Hawking are alive, and Richard and Ben obviously are as well.

The Others at the Temple are the same Others that inhabited the Barracks. When the freighter appeared offshore, Ben evacuated everyone to the Temple for their safety. Those are the people we are now seeing.

The comment made to Richard about him being in chains is a reference to the sailing ship "Black Rock". The "Black Rock" was a slave ship. It is the same ship that we see offshore the Island when Jacob is shown talking to the character that I like to call "Esau", and everyone else calls the smoke monster. In any event, I suspect that Richard was a "passenger" on the "Black Rock", and that is how he came to be on the Island in the first place.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
The comment made to Richard about him being in chains is a reference to the sailing ship "Black Rock". The "Black Rock" was a slave ship. It is the same ship that we see offshore the Island when Jacob is shown talking to the character that I like to call "Esau", and everyone else calls the smoke monster. In any event, I suspect that Richard was a "passenger" on the "Black Rock", and that is how he came to be on the Island in the first place.
I like this theory. Other than being born on the island, Richard would have to get there via water (or air) - there is no other way. Richard's first chronological appearance was in 1954, from what they have shown us so far. Jacob didn't age, and neither has Richard. We have only seen Esau in one time period, so who knows if he too can keep that youthful glow.

Jacob & Esau were watching the approach of the Black Rock
Quote:
"Sometime before 1867" - Lostpedia
So Richard could be THAT OLD!

I need some super-sized Excedrin 'Extra LOST Strength' tablets!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Well it's nice to be able to write about Lost again after all this time. So here we go:

There is only one timeline. There has always only been one timeline. What we have been seeing since last season is the 815ers appearing at different points on the timeline; past, present, and future if you get technical.
The producers have indicated differently. One thing they said is that we are seeing a sideways time line referring to the alternate timeline we are seeing.

Second thing is that the X in the episode title LA X stands for an alternate dimension or reality in the science fiction or comic book world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV