Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:07 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
We havent seen the last of Locke because he is still alive in the alternate storyline. If the two timelines merge, we could end with him being alive and well.
true, but it's not the same Locke. honestly, the original Locke was miserable, PO about his life. the alt Locke seems a bit happier. he has Helen, he has the balls to use company money to go off on his trip (got him fired, but still, I can't imagine the old Locke doing this). then there's the thing w/ his dad, still not sure if he's on good terms w/ him or not, but if he is, that's a big enough change to make him a vastly different Locke. even on the plane going to to LA, he seemed happier, chatting it up w/ Boone. alt Locke, for whatever reason, is different- not sure yet if it's a good different or a bad one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
I think it's Helen that makes the difference. But being able to walk is still very important to him. Actually, Locke didn't want to leave the island...the island made it possible for him to walk and to feel useful.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Ack recap of 6X03 What Kate Does here.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I think it's Helen that makes the difference. But being able to walk is still very important to him. Actually, Locke didn't want to leave the island...the island made it possible for him to walk and to feel useful.
It really seemed to me he was being selfish by not wanting others to leave. More than just believing in the island he wanted to be important and useful just as you said. I think Sawyer hit it on the head when he said Locke was always afraid even when he was pretending not to be.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee
am I the only one wondering how come Kate doesn't have a number, or why we didn't see her name? Jacob did visit her as a kid, just can't remember if he touched her.
To begin with, what are the Numbers? They are the core values of the Vanzetti Equation, which is a math formula that supposedly calculated the precise number of years and months left before the end of mankind. What DHARMA was trying to do on the Island with all the experiments was to change at least one of those values, and thus save humanity. The radio transmitter on the Island was set to broadcast the Numbers continuously until such time as the "solution" to the Vanzetti Equation was found by the DHARMA scientists.

In this instance however, each one of the six core value numbers has been assigned to an individual: 4 - Locke, 8 - Reyes, 15 - Ford, 16 - Jarrah, 23- Shepard, 42 - Kwon. "Locke" tells Sawyer that the people assigned these numbers are "candidates" that were specifically brought to the Island by Jacob to possibly replace him. Jacob did in fact meet Kate and touch her. But there are only six numbers, and he visited seven people, well technically eight if you count Jin and Sun separately. It appears then that while Jacob touched Kate so she would end up on the Island, his purpose for bringing her there was for a reason other than as a candidate to replace him.

Think too about what Jacob was doing by assigning one of those numbers to a person in the context of what DHARMA was trying to do; change one of the values and save man. By bringing six specific people to the Island, over and over again through the years, it was actually quite a bit more then just trying to find his replacement. Instead, he wanted to find someone who would finally change the equation; someone who would once and for all make the right "choice" and change everyone's destiny in the process. That's the basis of the discussion that Jacob and "Esau" were having on the beach when we first meet them. Jacob believed that each new group represented a fresh start and possibility that it would be different this time. Esau maintained that since people couldn't change, the results would always be the same no matter who Jacob brought to the Island.

If you really want to get down to the basics of it, Jacob was trying to do with people what DHARMA was trying accomplish through science. Which when you think about it that way, you wonder why the two groups could never seem to get along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee
I'm not going to lie, when I first saw the blond boy, I was thinking "Aaron". of course, that kid is way too old to be Aaron, so there goes that idea. who is he and why could Sawyer see him but not Richard? are the rules similar to the rules Ben mentioned when he went to go visit Widmore in London a couple of seasons ago (Ben told Widmore that when Alex was killed, he broke the rules) .
No, not Aaron. The reaction of "Locke" is the tip off that whoever it is was significant to him. So there's at least two possibilities that I can think of at the moment. Since the entity that inhabits Locke is old, probably as old as the Island, the boy could well be Jacob. We don't know when Jacob first came to be on the Island, so it is entirely possible that he arrived when he was a boy. So, "Locke" would immediately recognize him because that is how Jacob looked when they first met. Another possibility is based on something "Locke" said to Sawyer. He stated that he was human once. He mentioned all the things he experienced as a human, including "losing someone I loved". Perhaps the boy is the "someone" that he was referring to.

As to Richard not being able to see the boy, that isn't anything particularly new. Richard has never been able to see people who have died. I thought Sawyer had seen someone dead prior to this but I could be mistaken. Though, if you think about it, seeing Claire might qualify. We know that Claire has been "claimed". That seems to only be able to happen to someone that has died or is dead. You know, like Christian, Locke, and Sayid. Remember too the reaction that Miles had to Claire just before she disappeared. Given his ability, I read that as him sensing that she wasn't really alive anymore.

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised that no one commented on the scale in the cave that was being balanced by the black and white stones. "Locke" threw the white stone into the sea, tipping the scale in favor of black. I believe this actually is in reference to one of the larger themes of the show. While free will and destiny figure prominently, what is even more important in the bigger picture is "balance of force". Jacob (the white stone) represents one force, while his counterpart, "Esau" (the black stone) is the other. "Esau" has been battling against Jacob, trying to upset the balance. With the death of Jacob, he has finally accomplished that, at least for the moment.

We have seen that the show has a heavy Egyptian mythology theme to it. And in Egyptian mythology, there have been three epic battles between the forces of good and evil. In each instance, another god, Thoth (you know like from Season 5, Episode 13 "Some Like it Hoth"), would step forward and repair the damage to whichever god had been injured in the battle. That way, one would never be able to win a decisive victory over the other, thus preserving the balance, and preventing the world from sliding into chaos.

The question then is, what or who, will put the scales back into balance? Who is going to be the show's Thoth? Perhaps, one of the "candidates"?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times
Don't know if it was stated, but here's the centric episodes of Lost:

FEB 23- Jack
MAR 2- ?
MAR 9- Ben
MAR 16-Sawyer
MAR 23- Richard
MAR 30-Sun/Jin

That's all I got from TV Guide. Anyone with more info?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM

March 2-Sayid

April 6-Desmond
April 13-Hugo
April 20-Unknown, possibly Jack?
April 27-Unknown
May 4-Unknown, possibly Jacob & MIB?
May 15-Unknown
May 23rd-Series Finale

I went back to change the errors I made before. Notice that the Season Finale is on a Sunday, skipping that previous Tuesday.

Last edited by Lee W.; 02-19-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
If you really want to get down to the basics of it, Jacob was trying to do with people what DHARMA was trying accomplish through science. Which when you think about it that way, you wonder why the two groups could never seem to get along.

Since the entity that inhabits Locke is old, probably as old as the Island, the boy could well be Jacob. We don't know when Jacob first came to be on the Island, so it is entirely possible that he arrived when he was a boy. So, "Locke" would immediately recognize him because that is how Jacob looked when they first met. Another possibility is based on something "Locke" said to Sawyer. He stated that he was human once. He mentioned all the things he experienced as a human, including "losing someone I loved". Perhaps the boy is the "someone" that he was referring to.
Wow. Well done, you!

As for the child that the Man in Black (I think we're all on the same page that he is the one who is inhabiting Locke's body...the "Loophole"?) saw, perhaps it's his son? It doesn't seem like anyone ages on the island except the Dharma folks so it doesn't make sense that the MIB would have been a child who grew up to be a man. Perhaps there is a connection with this parenthood thing on the island...the MIB and his son, Ben and his daughter, Michael and Walt, Claire and Aaron, Jack seeing his dad, etc. And nearly every single character has some issue with their dad...Locke's being the worst though not by much. Especially since the boy told the MIB "You know the rules. You can't kill him." Ben's daughter said something similar to Ben about Locke.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Sorry, the epi before the series finale was May 11, not May 15, so I changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
March 2-Sayid

April 6-Desmond
April 13-Hugo
April 20-Unknown, possibly Jack?
April 27-Unknown
May 4-Unknown, possibly Jacob & MIB?
May 11-Unknown
May 23rd-Series Finale

I went back to change the errors I made before. Notice that the Season Finale is on a Sunday, skipping that previous Tuesday.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:39 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I wonder if it is really two story lines....or if it will show that regardless of where and when these people are.....their lives will intermingle in pretty much the same way. Like 'destiny'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV