Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but with regards to Locke: When Helen was talking to him about just having a small wedding instead where her parents and HIS father would be the guests. So in that reality, he obviously has some sort of relationship with his father still. I agree with the rest of you - it's not the end of Locke yet. Buried body or not ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times
I watched the last episode again last night. I had a thought about why Kate's not listed on the cave walls. Maybe she is a variable like Desmond was/is? Faraday told Desmond he was the variable and that he could change the way things happened. Did anyone see Desmond's name on the wall? Sorry if I'm rambling but I need some more caffeine! If Desmond's name is on the wall then that blows my theory to crap!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
If Desmond's name is on the wall then that blows my theory to crap!
I think Desmond was part of the Dharma Initiative...that's why he was pushing the button in the Swan. The people who were part of the DI aren't on the wall because Jacob didn't bring them to the island. The people on the plane are on the wall because they were part of Jacob's plan.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:38 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I think Desmond was part of the Dharma Initiative...that's why he was pushing the button in the Swan. The people who were part of the DI aren't on the wall because Jacob didn't bring them to the island. The people on the plane are on the wall because they were part of Jacob's plan.
I'm curious why you think Desmond was a member of the DI? His sail boat crashed on the island while he was competing in a race around the world. A race that was run by Penny's father, Charles Widmore.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:02 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I'm curious why you think Desmond was a member of the DI? His sail boat crashed on the island while he was competing in a race around the world. A race that was run by Penny's father, Charles Widmore.
Right, I remember. But why was he pushing the button for so long then? He may not have been brought via submarine like the DI folks were but he became a part of their organization. Plus, he was able to leave with Penny and not come back (or even want to) so he must not have been part of Jacob's plan. They never showed Jacob meeting Desmond so he must not have been a "candidate" as the MIB called them.

Clearly there were some people who were "throwaways"...just part of the plane that crashed but not part of any real plan that Jacob was a part of. Plenty of people have died on the island (and a few have been able to leave like Walt and Michael and Desmond) but they must have been seen as "acceptable casualties" in order to get Sawyer, Jack, Locke, Kate, Sayid, Sun and Jin on the island. I'm guessing the MIB is one of those who was unable to leave for whatever reason (the reason he asked Jacob, "Do you have any idea how badly I want to kill you right now?").

I'm curious...for those who follow much more closely than I do...were the numbers that were written next to the names on the wall the same numbers as the code that had to be pushed into the computer or the ones that allowed Hurley to win the lottery? "Locke" was very flippant about the numbers when Sawyer asked about them, so it must be a key to something. Seat numbers on the plane? The age that they were when Jacob met them? The date that he met them?

Old 02-20-2010, 06:21 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
They are the same numbers that are used through out the series. They are the numbers that were used to win the Lotto, the same numbers on the hatch door, the same numbers that were in the cave.... the numbers occure in bits and pieces through out the movie, on clocks, the flight 815 ( 8 and 15). I cant wait to find out, once and freaken for all, what the damn numbers mean. Ive waited 6 years, over 2000 days for the answer to this riddle. These numbers: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I wonder if it is really two story lines....or if it will show that regardless of where and when these people are.....their lives will intermingle in pretty much the same way. Like 'destiny'.
I have changed the dvr setting so it records the enhansed repeat since there are some interesting clues. Once again we are told the flight that makes it to LA is a flash sideways, as in parallel. And here and there are events specifically noted to be different.

The patterns in their lives, who they are inside is likely pretty much the same, and in a way you can look at the completed flight as a kind of alternate history. If the island ceased to be in the seventies, then the influenced it had on their lives before they got on the plane in the first place would be different. It was small and subtle, but even little things have an effect.

Thats the thing about parallell/multiple timelines, the biggest differences are the very small one. Very few pared timelines will be dramatically different at the beginning, even those which go on to be enormous. As an example, Winston Churchill was nearly hit and would have been killed by a taxi in an alleyway when he was not yet in power before WW2. If he had nothing would have been dramatically out of place for a time, but later when he wasn't there to fill his role the world would have diverged in a gaping way to a new one. But a few days later it would not have seemed so big.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 AM

4,688 posts, read 4,038,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Right, I remember. But why was he pushing the button for so long then? He may not have been brought via submarine like the DI folks were but he became a part of their organization. Plus, he was able to leave with Penny and not come back (or even want to) so he must not have been part of Jacob's plan. They never showed Jacob meeting Desmond so he must not have been a "candidate" as the MIB called them.
“The Purge” wiped out the DHARMA Initiative in 1992. Desmond was shipwrecked on the Island in 2001, so it was not possible for him to be a member of DHARMA. Desmond was rescued by Kelvin Inman, the last remaining operator of the Swan Station, and who claimed to be one of the few people to actually survive the Purge. It was Kelvin that got Desmond involved in the pushing of the button, and once Kelvin died, Desmond had no choice but to remain in the Swan and keep doing it.

When Desmond went to buy the engagement ring for Penny, he met Daniel Faraday’s mother, Eloise Hawking. She tells Desmond that he will enter a sailing race and that it will “bring you to the Island where you spend the next 3 years of your life entering numbers into the computer until you are forced to turn the fail safe key. And if you don’t do those things, Desmond David Hume, every single one of us is dead”. She further tells him that it’s his path to go the Island, not because he chooses to but because he is supposed to. She ends her conversation with him by saying “You may not like your path, Desmond, but pushing that button is the only truly great thing that you will ever do”.

So no, Desmond was never a candidate because he wasn’t brought to the Island specifically by Jacob. Instead, it was the Universe’s plan that Desmond end up there. Since he fulfilled what he had been destined to do (push the button for 3 years), he was free to leave the Island. That is why his name isn’t up on the cave ceiling. I believe that those names belong to every person that Jacob has brought to the Island over the course of who knows how many years, who he believed might turn out to be a suitable replacement for him.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 AM

4,688 posts, read 4,038,319 times
A thought occurred while I was going over past episodes. Specifically, I was thinking about the episode (Cabin Fever) in which Richard comes to see a young John Locke. We see on the wall a drawing John did of what appears to be the smoke monster attacking a person. Richard sets some items on the table and asks John to choose those things that belong to him. The items were a comic book, a compass, a vial of gray ash, a knife, and book titled "The Book of Laws". John picked the compass, the vial, and the knife. Richard was upset by John's choice of the knife and says that it doesn't belong to John, then leaves. When the plane crashes on the Island, we see John use knives extensively to hunt and so on. I always figured that his younger self choosing the knife was a precursor of what John would do on the Island.

Now I'm wondering if this whole incident was actually more then it appeared to be. Since we have seen that the entity that is referred to as the smoke monster has taken on the form of John Locke, maybe that's what the drawing was actually telling us. Think too about the items John chose, in particular the vial of gray ash. We know that gray ash is used to keep the smoke monster at bay, which would indicate a connection to Jacob and his followers. But then there is the knife. The knife was obviously not the item John should have picked up, because it likely did not belong to Jacob. Did the knife then belong to the "man" we see on the beach with Jacob, telling Jacob how much he wishes to kill him? Could the selection of the knife then in some way predict that in future, John will be "claimed" by the owner of the knife and become his weapon to finally kill Jacob?

Hmmm.....

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
As far as the kid goes, I think it's someone we haven't met. There's the white and the black, but none of the colors in between. Obviously SOMEONE had to set the "rules." For whatever reason, this kid has to be the one to do it. It sounds like Cain and Abel really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV