Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
It was Joe who brought up the dropped pan with Sarah. She told him the pan dropped but not the Wellington. He whispered that she shouldn't say anything, and went on to tell her that even in the best restaurants, they have the back kitchen the diners never see, and when something's dropped, they use the 5 second rule. Sarah giggled and as he was telling "secrets", she looks up at a camera and says, "You do know you're being filmed don't you?" Joe laughed.
Yeah. That was just horrid. Goodness. I'm glad dog walkers are bagging their dog's stuff these days. You go home and three days later come down with a virus or something. Eeeeak!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth_cali View Post
That beef wellington was one tough dish to prepare for those ambitious kids, and boy did I find that I must be in fantasy land or naive in regards to restaurants dropping food on the floor. I didn't think finer restaurants used that "5 second rule" that Joe was referring to, I was thinking finer restaurants had a little more class than to pick up food from the floor and still serve it to consumers. As a matter of fact, I worked at a McDonald's ages ago in my teen years and we were NEVER allowed to pick any food off the floor, and any food that was stored longer than two hours was discarded immediately.

I guess Joe told on the chef world

. . .
Yes. My husband was a manager at a BK for a time and you're right.

Often we hear that you are safer at your local greasy spoon where the short order cook is cooking right in front of you.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes - the two kids per week leaving - this was why Joe told that one team (right at the first station in front) to talk to each other. At least they should try to agree on what's being done so there are no resentments if they have to go home.

Alexander said you waste effort by whipping in a circle. You should whip from side to side - and he was right.
I read that the Japanese stir their tea, etc, with a side to side motion and that it is actually more efficient than around and around.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:11 PM

884 posts, read 1,062,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I read that the Japanese stir their tea, etc, with a side to side motion and that it is actually more efficient than around and around.
Interesting! From now, I will be stirring side-to-side.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I'm not trying to be overly critical of the children's talent on this show (they are talented chefs)... but I know there has been controversy in other countries over their Junior versions of Masterchef, wherein the contestants are all given a list of themes each week and ingredients well before (as in, months before) the show is even filmed, giving them time to practice with personal chefs to perfect their recipes and techniques.

I wonder if the same thing occurs in the U.S. version?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm not trying to be overly critical of the children's talent on this show (they are talented chefs)... but I know there has been controversy in other countries over their Junior versions of Masterchef, wherein the contestants are all given a list of themes each week and ingredients well before (as in, months before) the show is even filmed, giving them time to practice with personal chefs to perfect their recipes and techniques.

They do that with all of the baking shows and even shows like Iron Chef America. It doesn't bother me at all.

I watch to learn something about cooking and to get ideas. I cook a lot and I know what can go wrong if they had to cook without any prior preparation. It's better to allow them to practice. Even then, things can go wrong.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
^^I agree charly...they can practice till they're blue in the face, but when they're actually competing, and on the clock, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Especially with kids who aren't as savvy as the adults, although they do learn to be savvy with all the practice. But.... out of hundreds of kids that applied, only these kids were chosen, so the practice doesn't necessarily pay off when you have to perform in the throes of extremely tight competition.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

Good question, and another one might be why do they know this is the procedure and we are kept ignorant of it?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
^^I agree charly...they can practice till they're blue in the face, but when they're actually competing, and on the clock, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Especially with kids who aren't as savvy as the adults, although they do learn to be savvy with all the practice. But.... out of hundreds of kids that applied, only these kids were chosen, so the practice doesn't necessarily pay off when you have to perform in the throes of extremely tight competition.
We never found out how these kids were chosen, did we?
Did their parents know someone?
What do their parents do, anyway?
Usually, in the adult programs, we get some background.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
We never found out how these kids were chosen, did we?
Did their parents know someone?
What do their parents do, anyway?
Usually, in the adult programs, we get some background.
Adults can consent to put their background and personal info out on TV.

I think it makes sense that we don't know the kid's or the parent's background. Too many kid creepers out there.

It's a TV show that's meant to be cute and fun. I don't think there are any secret conspiracies going on. I think the casting process is irrelevant unless someone wants to get their kid on the next season.

If I had children, I definitely would want them to get interested in cooking and being on the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV