Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times

Advertisements

I don't like actually watching shows live and our Tivo is a dual tuner which is usually sufficient. But, for some reason the networks have piled on all the popular shows on Thursday nights now!!

We like Community, The Big Bang Theory, Grey's Anatomy, Fringe, Bones, I really want to see what **** My Dad Says, and Outsourced but it doesn't look like that will be an option. Why are the networks doing this to us?!?

Anyone else having to choose which shows are more Tivo worthy than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 06:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Every thing but the Major Networks will typically repete the same night. This gives you the flexibility to schedule around mutliple stacked programs.

I'd say there are other nights giving fits, normally the shows that run one minute into the next hour. I will edit that slot and lop off that extra time to allow other shows to begin tapeing at that time.

Tuesday this week was the worst one for setting up the recordings. Sunday is bad for the two networks that are carrying the NFL. Those almost always bleed into prime time recording schedules.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I see nothing worthwhile to watch on Thurs evenings now that Survivor switched days.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:33 PM

This was the first night that I had the opportunity to go through the schedule. Not sure what I missed the rest of the week. The only positive thing is that nearly all the networks put episodes on their websites.

I hope that some shows end up being moved. Because in the end, it does hurt networks when they pile on all their stuff at the same times. Someone has to lose the viewership.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I'll watch The Big Bang Theory as that is my favorite show these days. I watched the new Shatner show, but it was horrible. So, no TIVO issues here.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I had the problem on Tuesday nights at 10:00PM in the winter/late spring of 2010. There were overlapping shows on ABC, FX, USA and TNT that started at different times during the year but that I wanted to see. My solution was to watch the ABC show live because it wasn't "on demand" and wasn't offered online until the following Saturday, watch the FX and TNT show free On Demand on other days and eliminate the USA show from my life. I was mad at USA for switching the nights of all of their shows, anyway. The FX show (Justified) turned out to be my favorite show of everything I watch so when it comes back, I'll watch that one live and either watch the others On Demand or 86 them altogether.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
some network needs to get really intelligent and put something worthy of watching on Friday nights. Not everyone is out partying.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
we had to get a second dvr! the one good thing about the cable channels, they repeat most of their shows at another time, so that really helps. you can watch most network stuff online. also, NBC has most of their regular shows available on demand on our cable stuff. I don't know why the rest of the channels/networks don't do this. We rely so much on our dvr just because we don't have a lot of time during the week. we try to watch most of the shows as a family. Fridays are really bad for us because of football!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I see nothing worthwhile to watch on Thurs evenings now that Survivor switched days.
Thursdays have always been a "bad" night for me. Too many of the shows I watch all on at the same times. Now I can watch my VOD for most all of them. I watched CSI, recorded Fringe and will catch Grey's on VOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
we had to get a second dvr! the one good thing about the cable channels, they repeat most of their shows at another time, so that really helps. you can watch most network stuff online. also, NBC has most of their regular shows available on demand on our cable stuff. I don't know why the rest of the channels/networks don't do this. We rely so much on our dvr just because we don't have a lot of time during the week. we try to watch most of the shows as a family. Fridays are really bad for us because of football!
Football, sg??? On tv or in "real life"?? I couldn't live without my FIOS any more! My free VOD is such a wonderful thing.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I'll watch The Big Bang Theory as that is my favorite show these days. I watched the new Shatner show, but it was horrible. So, no TIVO issues here.
Good to hear that the new Shatner Show is horrible. Why they canceled Boston Legal is beyond me. It was a great show IMO. Good thing I didn't miss anything then! But, I did like Outsourced. It has some potential. I love some of the programs, but I don't want to buy a second Tivo or DVR. The best thing we ever did was limiting TV to just the family room so I love some of those shows, but not enough to go back to TV's in bedrooms again.

Tivo needs to come out with a better tuner! One that can record more than two shows at a time. Maybe four?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV