U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 AM

3,539 posts, read 3,146,525 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E...ision_schedule

• The National Football League moved the start of late afternoon games from 4:15PM Eastern/3:15PM Central to 4:25PM Eastern/3:25PM Central. CBS responded by moving its Sunday night start time for 60 Minutes to 7:30PM Eastern/6:30PM Central, with the following shows likewise starting on the half hour on weeks when CBS carries a late afternoon game. The start times on other weeks, and in the west, remain as shown.[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 AM

8,406 posts, read 11,011,577 times
Looking at all the new shows from the big networks, only one thought occurred: There are a lot of really talented people doing some shows that don't look the least bit interesting.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 AM
bUU

6,099 posts, read 2,424,919 times
My first instinct was that this fall looked to be a little lighter than last year (for us), continuing a trend that started in 2011-2012, after steady improvement year after year up to and including 2010-2011. However, looking over it more closely now, and comparing it apples-to-apples versus last year, it's actually pretty-much the same - our DVR might even be busier this fall by an hour or two (just based on the broadcast network offerings).

My initial instinct was crafted by the fact that we have almost no DVR conflicts this coming fall. Over the last couple of years we've struggled to fit really good shows, like Hawaii Five-0 and Person of Interest, into our recording schedule, just because they were up against shows we enjoyed more, but both shows look to be free of encumbrances this coming fall.

By the same token, that clearance seems to come as a reflection, at least in part, of the relegation of four of our favorite shows to Friday night, which has often been a harbinger of cancellation.

Also, increasingly, the broadcast network schedule has less meaning on its own, but instead must be taken together with the cable network schedule. I'm expecting at least six returning cable series this fall (and we don't get HBO or Showtime), and there might be more, not even consider new series from cable networks this fall.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 PM

996 posts, read 502,776 times
I just finished looking at the major networks' offering for the coming season. I agree with Mark. Good actors involved in uninteresting vehicles. I am however intrigued by The Black List, Sleepy Hollow and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'll check out Ironside to see how it stacks up to the classic original and as a Robin Williams fan I'll check out his sitcom.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,057,838 times
Will there be less reality shows? That would be an improvement in quality no matter what.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 PM

996 posts, read 502,776 times
Coney

Based on what I've seen it looks like there isn't a new "reality" show in the bunch. Every new show appears to be the typical show we grew up with meaning actual actors and a script. Whether people watch or not remains to be seen. It may be a little premature but it looks like the masses that flocked to that stupidity that was dared called television are starting to grow tired of it. If that's the case: 1. It's about freakin' time and 2. Thank God!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 AM
bUU

6,099 posts, read 2,424,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Will there be less reality shows? That would be an improvement in quality no matter what.
I see people say this but it makes no logical sense. The existence of shows you personally don't like doesn't detract from the quality offered with regard to the shows you do like. And there are more scripted programs now than ever. Even the History Channel is presenting scripted dramatic programming.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 AM

22,721 posts, read 17,638,838 times
None of them. The list doesn't include cable.

I only watch cable TV except for The Following.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM

14,107 posts, read 7,161,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I see people say this but it makes no logical sense. The existence of shows you personally don't like doesn't detract from the quality offered with regard to the shows you do like. And there are more scripted programs now than ever. Even the History Channel is presenting scripted dramatic programming.
I agree. It is possible to watch high-quality TV every single night and never watch a single reality show.
I know, because I do it.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 PM

8,406 posts, read 11,011,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The existence of shows you personally don't like doesn't detract from the quality offered with regard to the shows you do like.
Yes, it does. There is a limited amount of air time during TV viewing hours, and a limited budget to produce shows. For every hour and dollar devoted to another "reality" show, that is an hour and a dollar not devoted to scripted productions. The biggest reason that networks love "reality" shows so much is that they are incredibly cheap to produce. No writers. No actors. Fewer sets. Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV