U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:46 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,086,219 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to see what Heidi and Timm have up their sleeves for the new season of "Project Runway" which premieres tonight. I hope there are some great designers as well as a few interesting characters we can discuss from week to week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 03:30 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,371,322 times
thank you for the reminder!!!!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:14 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,143,137 times
Ach, I was watching Endeavor last night and this girl had on the prettiest dark green velvet and lighter green satin frock. (It was not old fashioned, more like 70s Twiggy)
I immediately thought - Project Runway needs some velvet!

Thanks for the reminder.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 PM

724 posts, read 1,108,042 times
Just caught the SP. I didn't watch the pre-show with Tim which will be post-show for me.

Usually for me, I need to watch a few episodes before settling with the designers. However, based on the show tonight I definitely have a favorite. I realize posters watch this at different times because of time zones so I won't say anything else, except that I am looking forward to the comments here.

A couple of changes. One I think is very good, and I will leave it at that!

Looking forward to this....

Are we going to use this thread instead of the master thread that is now on page 5?

Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,371,322 times
west coast show now over.
What a cast of characters!! Made me LOL and often.
HUGELY disagree with the one sent home. Miranda clearly didn't follow the rules, took the easy route and should have been sent home. Closely followed by the guy who left his model's v-j-j hanging out( even though he is a funny dude.) And then the guy who doth protest too much and claims to be anti everything...............well come on dude---may as well have spit in the faces of the largest Sponsors of this show. May as well have said,"your product is s**t so don't use it"; totally unfair to the model too. I want to see him sew by hand everything he makes this season. Except,well-I don't think he will stick around very long

Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 AM

5,385 posts, read 3,869,135 times
I did not know PR was on again until I saw this thread last night! So I only saw the runway part and a little of hair and make up part.
I am so happy Zac Posen is back and that Tim gets to be present and have some input at the runway shows.
As usual, for me anyway, the judging was wrong. The woman who didn't follow the rules should have gone home. Also the guy who made the swimsuit with the models showing probably should have gone too, that was awful! And the other guy, Tim (?), what was up with the high heels?! Anyway, his design was bad too. Plus he seems to be a wack a doo! There should have been a double elim. That woman and swim suit guy. I do agree with the one who won, his design was very cool.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,579,619 times
Seems to be a lot of talented contestants this season, but I dislike the previews that say "You want more drama? You've got it this season" or something to that effect. There are way too many reality shows that feature nothing but people being nasty to each other...Project Runway doesn't need that since the designs are what make the show entertaining. People name calling and screaming at each other is not entertainment to me.

I felt bad for that poor model who was asked to act like she was being pulled down the runway by her wrists - barefoot with no makeup and nothing done with her hair. Her designer ended up wearing the heels...really? When he was featured in the pre-show, I thought he was pretty talented in his use of recycled materials...but I think he is going to prove himself to be a little too nutty to last long.

I noticed that they didn't say anything to the girl who used the white fabric for the majority of her dress. She used more parachute material than the other one, but it was still mostly white.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 AM

30,410 posts, read 9,092,686 times
I miss Michael Kors. No one can sum up a flop like he can: "[The model] looks like she's pooping fabric" and one of my favorites, when he said that the model looked as if she'd been working at a beauty salon that caught fire and put on a smock to run out. Zac Posen seems to be trying to be a little more "biting" in his critiques this season; I'm not fond of him.

Also, I'm not a fan of these "saves" that make their way into these shows. IMO, anyone who's saved and ultimately wins the competition might as well have an asterisk next to his or her name.

As far as last night's show, the designer who didn't follow the theme of the challenge should have been sent home along with (yes, they've jettisoned two before) the one whose outfit had to be pixilated for airing. And give me a break with the designer who wanted his model to "peform" on the runway. I suppose we're all required to act as if his sporting the rhinestone stilettos is normal, too.

This show could be turning into an endless parade of freaks.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 PM

724 posts, read 1,108,042 times
For me the winning look was between the one that did win and the one that had the "red blend" with the ruching; it was done by Sue (Brooklyn).

A positive for me is that initially, or so they claim, the judges do not know which designer created which look. Two things I really don't get. One is as mentioned above, the chance Tim Gunn will have to save a designer. The other is how the designers will manage their money. If I caught it correctly they have been given a pre loaded bank card that is designed to work with mobile phones. Have these cards been loaded for the entire season already? Did they say how much? Does this mean no more shopping at Mood?

Now, the other Tim. (He did say something about shopping for rejected material at Mood.) I wonder if he was using one of those disposable butane lighters that are not recyclable to burn that fabric. If I was one of the models I would not want to be assigned to him or the Russian (Sandro?)

I really enjoyed the season they had the 1/2 hour model show.

Michael Kors! He would just settle himself in that chair, get that look on his face and we knew what was coming! I don't dislike ZP but no one can replace Michael Kors.

As Delahanty said:
Quote:
and one of my favorites, when he said that the model looked as if she'd been working at a beauty salon that caught fire and put on a smock to run out.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,143,137 times
I don't particularly like it when at least half of the contestants or more are already heavily into fashion. In the beginning they show the dancer guy's stuff in shots that look like it was on a runway. Most have been to fashion school, have professional fashion jobs of some sort like the guy that makes costumes on Broadway. I prefer it when they are people sewing in their basements in some place like Nebraska and are just starting.
So right now I'm rooting for underdogs but there aren't very many.
Since there hasn't been too much fashion right now my feelings are based on personality plus the one outfit.

Outfit wise I do think some people got luckier with colors than others.

The blond girl who went to France, she's makes and sells clothes........so...not being able to use a machine....I didn't buy that really. Either she has someone doing a lot of the sewing or just didn't understand that machine? Is she sandbagging? I'm not sure what they liked so much about her...caftan? Really didn't get it. I wonder if that is an indicator that she is going to do well (i.e. they used the clips of them fawning all over her dress to support future decisions).

The blond girl who called her an idiot though I thought that was unnecessarily bitchy and she seems pretty arrogant. I can't remember her outfit, she was safe.

I like the environmental kid, he's happy, he's friendly, he's trying to get people to modify wasteful behavior and help the environment and I think it takes a pretty strong brave person to live a singularly unconventional life. People really dislike nonconformists so. Even the goth chick has the goth tribe. I thought his outfit was a bit of a mess though I liked his burning technique for originality. of He really got stuck with an ugly color yellow. I also liked his trying to bring performance art to the runway and thought his model was a real clumsy mouth breather. And he was so nice about it when she didn't try, didn't get it, didn't try, pouted and then didn't do it on the runway. She's missing an opportunity to do something different and really show her stuff on national tv. I'd love him to get a different model.

The Army chick, she seems sort of unpleasant. And I hated the fact that she was wearing her Army green class A shirt and keeps leveraging her service. I thought it odd that she was in the military for 8 years and yet refused to follow the rules of the competition. What happened to following orders? I think she should have gone home based on that. I think Heidi and Tim were down with that. Didn't understand why the other judges didn't care. Plus I thought her outfit was l little boring although I felt like we were missing a lot of the detail because it was black. I didn't like the purple shoulder wings. Your out of the Army sweetheart, move on.

Ted warned someone else about the fabric - too much white - did they change that?

The Russian guy. Is he really Russian? He almost seems like he's acting some stereotype and his accent is awful. I wonder how long he's been here. I liked the fact that he did a swimsuit. Sort of sporting out of sporty material. I liked the bottom except for the crotch area (Holy cow) but then he threw all that junk on it which made me wonder. The top wasn't that great. I give a lot of credit to his model who managed to act like she did not mind. Since we couldn't see it I wonder how bad that was? The judges didn't comment either which and they got the up close and personal views. I suspect he'll be the source of a lot of drama.
Good lord I just looked up the russian guy - here is experience - heavy!
What's your design training/schooling, etc.? A University of Culture and Art, Moscow. Internships: Jean Charles de Castelbajac (Paris), Hanae Mori (Tokyo), Costume Department of Bolshoi Theater (Moscow), Oscar de la Renta (New York).

I would hope that Tim Gunn would use his save "VERY THOUGHTFULLY" . Like when someone has a machine that keeps breaking or team event when the team is totally dysfunctional and throws the wrong person under the bus. The previews make it seem like he's using it next week which would be awful fast

Last edited by Giesela; 07-19-2013 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or