U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:42 PM

5,114 posts, read 2,256,832 times
Default Capture

Nothing else on, so tuned into this show called "Capture" on the CW channel. Have to say, so far it's not half bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Status: "Tragedy? Cue the Ghoulish Posters!" (set 20 days ago)

3,868 posts, read 1,358,996 times
I'm glad you started a thread, for it is a worthy show.

I ended up watching the first episode twice: once by myself, and, because I enjoyed it so much, again with my wife. I believe the first episode will be repeated on CW today or tomorrow.

An outline: 12 teams, each with two people (siblings, friends, married, etc) are competing for $250,000.

The location: 40,000 acres, in what appears to be beautiful country with pine forest, hills (they show mountains close by), rock ledges, ponds, etc. The area (the host said 10 miles of fenceline) is surrounded by an 'electronic fence', so one cannot go outside the boundries.

Each week one team is chosen as the 'hunter', while the other teams are the 'prey'. Each team is assigned a color, and all wear a dark vest (the color for each team is just seen about the neck). The two Hunters (who have gray vests) are each given what looks like an electronic hockey puck.

The prey are given a headstart, although they do not know how long it shall be.

The rules: each week one team will be eliminated. The Hunters are responsible, over the course of two days, to capture two teams (a 'capture' is by tagging the prey with the hockey puck, which sticks to their metallic vest and lights the vest up). Capturing one prey equals capturing the team (i.e., you do not have to tag both teammates).

The Hunters are told that if they manage to capture two teams during the two-day period, then both teams are up for elimination, and the remaining teams vote on whom to expell.

However, if the Hunters only manage to capture one team, then the Hunters are on the block with the captured team.

Furthermore, if the Hunters do not capture anyone, they are automatically expelled.

On day one the Hunters are given four hours to make a capture. If a team is captured before the expiration of the time, the game ends for the day. The captured team is placed in the open-air 'jail' or pen, which looks pretty miserable. The other teams spend the night in their tents, which also look miserable. The next day the Hunters have another four-hour block to make a capture (or another capture, if one team was caught the previous day).

I will note that each person (prey) are wearing an electronic GPS device on their wrist. It serves several purposes: the Host may make announcements to them; the GPS shows a map of the terrain (but not where other teams or the Hunters are located), and, best of all, if a Prey does not move for 3 minutes, then their exact location appears on the Hunters GPS. Hence, for four hours, one must keep moving to keep invisible.

That is all I shall say about the first episode. It is indeed somewhat like The Hunger Games, with teams of prey trying to take advantage of each other, etc.

These people are apparently in the wilderness for the duration of the game: one team eliminated every other day, until one team is left standing. Even on the second day of this first episode one could tell that several people were exhausted from the prior days' running and the cold of night (down into the 30s), with little food to eat. It appears from upcoming episodes that, like the Hunger Games, food and luxury items may be placed out in areas for teams to attempt to get, if they dare.

All in all, the first episode was very well executed. My favorite reality shows are Amazing Race, Survivor and Big Brother. If Capture holds up, it will join that list.

Unread 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM

148 posts, read 141,217 times
Does anyone know where this series is filmed? It looks a lot like the northern Sierra Nevada.

Unread 08-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrubin View Post
Does anyone know where this series is filmed? It looks a lot like the northern Sierra Nevada.
I checked the site for source into, they seem to not want to reveal that info, for good reason I imagine.
I certainly can't figure it out by viewing the show, most wooded areas look alike to me thought there are some telling signs in any location, I'm not that good at distinguishing one tree from another.

Unread 08-02-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I checked the site for source into, they seem to not want to reveal that info, for good reason I imagine.
I certainly can't figure it out by viewing the show, most wooded areas look alike to me thought there are some telling signs in any location, I'm not that good at distinguishing one tree from another.

I also wonder where they are (or were). One very slight hint is that one team (I think brothers) noted that the land reminded them of where they live in Washingon or Oregon state (whichever they said). Hence, we may be able to safely say they are NOT in that area.

Unread 08-08-2013, 04:33 AM

This is fast becoming my favorite reality show.

The second episode was just as good as the first. It is the third day and the contestants are already getting fatigued from the cold and minimal food. Indeed, they are told that for the next hunt there is a 'safety zone' where sandwiches are grouped on a table, and each time may claim a bag with a 'luxury' item (one had fishing line, so it is not really 'luxury'). I shall not spoil what happened.

CW is not repeating the episodes, but each one stands by itself well enough. I do highly recommend this show.

Unread 08-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
This is fast becoming my favorite reality show.

The second episode was just as good as the first. It is the third day and the contestants are already getting fatigued from the cold and minimal food. Indeed, they are told that for the next hunt there is a 'safety zone' where sandwiches are grouped on a table, and each time may claim a bag with a 'luxury' item (one had fishing line, so it is not really 'luxury'). I shall not spoil what happened.

CW is not repeating the episodes, but each one stands by itself well enough. I do highly recommend this show.

OH NO! Was it on last night, I completely forgot. I've been watching the Discovery all week, It's "Shark Week" Go figure, I start a thread and can't keep up with when the dang show comes on. LOL Guess I'll have to catch last nights episode online.

Unread 08-14-2013, 05:38 AM

I hope others are watching this show. Third episode last night, and it has quickly moved to my 'most anticipated' show of the week. I do wonder how they will handle things when the number of teams gets few (one team of hunters looking for, say, two teams, in a 40,000 acre wilderness, would be difficult).

Not to spoil anything, but one of the members of a team caught last night had a classic temper tantrum at being caught.

I do hope that this show has enough viewers to warrant a second season. As it stands now, it is much more exciting to watch than Survivor.

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I hope others are watching this show. Third episode last night, and it has quickly moved to my 'most anticipated' show of the week. I do wonder how they will handle things when the number of teams gets few (one team of hunters looking for, say, two teams, in a 40,000 acre wilderness, would be difficult).

Not to spoil anything, but one of the members of a team caught last night had a classic temper tantrum at being caught.

I do hope that this show has enough viewers to warrant a second season. As it stands now, it is much more exciting to watch than Survivor.
That tantrum will go down in history as a classic. She deserved should have been voted off based on that alone.

Unread 08-22-2013, 05:42 AM

Another strong episode Tuesday night. Indeed, if Capture and Survivor were on at the same time, I would tune in Capture. I hope, hope, hope it comes back for a second season.

Unfortunately, I shall be missing the next three episodes, though I will be recording them, since I am traveling for a while. I still say: check it out (online, if nothing else).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV